#135 June 10, 2019, 01:42:24 AM Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 02:31:48 AM by Paul keohane

Going by the clips I've seen on Facebook and the set list,  I'm glad I gave this a miss. They're a completely spent force live, and Hetfield, surprisingly enough, is their weakest link. I'd be hard pressed to think of a tribute act that couldn't do a better approximation of Metallica than Metallica themselves. That said, and it bears no relevance to the gig itself, but serious kudos to them for their charitable donation.
Still though, good call there Cryptic on the attendance figures.

I was well off the mark with the attendance, I underestimated the lay community  who in fairness made a great effort to go to it.

Now on to work where the questioning awaits "Did you go to Metallica " "You would've loved it" and so forth.

Great gig I thought
One was huge
Ride The Lightening was brilliant to hear live
I thought the sound was excellent

And tell me, why do people rate Ghost?!
They have some nice riffs, then ruin it with Eurovision styled muck
It was fair annoying
I like both styles, but not mixed like that
Desperate stuff

Very good day out overall
Sound crowd and security

Quote from: Jward on June 10, 2019, 08:33:37 AM
Great gig I thought
One was huge
Ride The Lightening was brilliant to hear live
I thought the sound was excellent

And tell me, why do people rate Ghost?!
They have some nice riffs, then ruin it with Eurovision styled muck
It was fair annoying
I like both styles, but not mixed like that
Desperate stuff

Very good day out overall
Sound crowd and security

Most people rate Ghost because when they came out with the first album was excellent, i was lucky enough to see them back then before they became a pop act. 
i said the last time i went to metallica i wouldnt go see them again,  tbh wish i had of stuck to my guns.  the few old songs they did play i did enjoy partly because i was hammered. but overall the "Slane" experiance was a load of shite.

First time at Slane. I was expecting the very worst. Arrived as Ghost came on. Headed to the bar - got through that in around 10-15 mins . Ghost were very quiet. Headed back up the hill - lost everyone I was with headed down onto the floor of the place and there was buckets of space. More pints - had a great old time to myself. Setlist wouldnt have been my choices but saying that it all sounded and looked great. The walk back to the car was desperate utterly hammered.The walk down was pleasant enough though. The levels of organisation is about what you would expect outside mainland Europe. Still pints were cheaper than the Belfast Telegraph building.

Anyone know what Ghosts set list was? A friend who'd never heard of them was able to advise they played Rats and a song that was very evil sounding with lots SATAN type bits (year zero  :laugh:)

Quote from: BobbyAxelrod on June 10, 2019, 01:26:38 AM
Lords of Summer instead of Spit Out The Bone would've been class. It's their best song in at least two decades.

That Lord of Summers song just goes through the motions after the first 2 minutes in, like most of Metallica songs post the Load/Reload era, the songs become so laboured. Give me Blackened/Battery/Harvester Of Sorrow instead personally.

Considering it was Slane, it should have been a greatest hits show. 5 new songs was a bit much considering they've already gigged the hell out of that album for the last 3 years or so. Sound wasn't bad from halfway up the hill with all the rain. Enjoyed Ghost, came in just before them. Third time to Slane and I reckon the last time, just not worth the hassle. Definitely would have to give a lot of thought to another outdoor gig.

Just a few observations now that the dust has settled on Saturdays show- first of all to have over 70,000 people at a metal concert in Ireland is surreal in many ways and will never happen again. I was having the argument with my brother that, as a rock show it was unbelievable. However from a metal perspective the setlist was poor. No battery, fight fire with fire, whiplash or anything of the fast variety - that to me is inexcusable regardless of what the target audience may be.

Did Hetfield acknowledge the shit setlist at one point? Did he say something like "We're playing what we wanna play"?
And then they left the stage for about 5 mins, and came back not to play another song, but to say goodnight.

Quote from: Giggles on June 10, 2019, 10:45:39 PM
Did Hetfield acknowledge the shit setlist at one point? Did he say something like "We're playing what we wanna play"?
And then they left the stage for about 5 mins, and came back not to play another song, but to say goodnight.

Perhaps he was just having a "senior moment"

Quote from: Giggles on June 10, 2019, 10:45:39 PM
I'm not sure what he meant by this but it seems it came across wrong as the setlist was exactly what it was supposed to be.

Did anyone else see Kirk falling early on? Took a good old dive across a wire

Quote from: mk2glenn on June 11, 2019, 08:49:16 AM

Did anyone else see Kirk falling early on? Took a good old dive across a wire

Hardwired to self nosedive...  :-\

Had a rare auld time. Friday night drinks in the campsite, stumbled into Lynch's at 10am Saturday morn and ended up in there for most of the early afternoon, enjoyed the gig despite chips being knocked out of my hands twice in a row  :abbath: 

General consensus in our group is that we're done with Slane until AC/DC announce a date.