October 02, 2024, 12:17:11 PM Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 10:04:07 PM by Eoin McLove
I picked up the vinyl reissue of Pentagram and it is a beast. The one dimensional vocals were a bit of a hurdle for me in the past but I think they are perfect for it. They are so extreme and over the top on their violent focus and reflect the nature of the music. The production through a proper stereo is quite massive with heaps of low end- interesting to see Samoth making an appearance here on bass. Apart from Emperor he popped up on a few other classics back in the day.

I think I'm going to nab the Antichrist picture disc next and give it a go, although I believe it's a bit different to Pentagram. Maybe less direct and violent? Also, am I right in thinking there are two vocalists on it?

My introduction to Gorgoroth was Twilight of the Idols whenever it came out. It was among the first vinyls I bought actually, and there was a buzz around them which coincided with my own deepening interest in BM, but it never quite caught my attention and I let the band slip past me from there. It at least deserves a revisit I think.

I saw them at Wacken in 08 and I have to admit, they were quite intense live. Gaahl is a hell of a frontman.

I'm going to work my way through their stuff and see what else grabs me so any recommendations are welcome.

Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam (I hoped I've spelled that correctly) was the one that really grabbed me. Nicely vicious, I love the heavy production and Gaahl's fairly no nonsense approach to the vocals.

I've only dipped in and out of their other material but have liked everything I've heard.

I'll give it a go. Cheers. Antichrist on YouTube here now. It'll be purchased before I hit the leaba tonight. Savage! It seems apparent to me that Gjendød took a bit of influence from this.

The main difference between Antichrist and Pentagram is the production. Pentagram is much rawer and some songs on Antichrist can drag on. Under the sign of Hell is also great. Yes Hat only sang on the debut then Pest sang on Antichrist and Under the Sign.

I have no idea why they picked the current vocalist after Pest was fired since he doesn't play live with them, was basically unknown to everyone and nothing about his vocals on the album he sang on stands out. He did artwork for one of those Irish bands that released stuff through Darragh can't remember which band though.

I remember almost being sick of Gorgoroth because they played here so much and similar to Mgla they never change the setlist but now thanks to incident that was discussed on here earlier in the year at the last Dublin show they won't ever play here again which is a shame. I think that gig was 10 years ago.

If you want to get rid of that Twilight vinyl I would happily take it off your hands. I really enjoy that album and after the whole court case over the rights I don't see any Gaahl era material getting reissued. I had to buy a Korean bootleg of AMSG.

I read that Hat recorded vocals for half of Antichrist before leaving and Pest did the other half. Just finished listening to it now and I don't think it drags on at all. I think it contrasts with Pentagram quite a bit; it's much less feral, more brooding and perhaps sorrowful sounding. It is really fucking good!

I'll hang on to Twilight for now and see if it's more to my taste these days.

What happened at the last Dublin gig? If I read about it before, I've forgotten now.

Saw them on the AMDS tour, first proper black metal gig I was ever at. Mighty stuff, my love for them is mainly focused on the Gaahl era albums, though I do quite like Pentagram. That gig Hoest and the fool in the crowd was a weird one.

There was some feen giving Hoest shit all night and eventually got a clatter with the bottle of wine Hoest was holding if memory serves. Something to do with antifa I think.

Under a Sign of Hell (currently listening to it) and Destroyer are the only ones I have.

Under a Sign is a decent album - particularly liked the start of The Rites of Infernal Invocation - instant headbanging and the final song is also great. Need to get round to picking the rest of their stuff up as I've always liked what I heard. 

I was just looking at MA and it says Hat and Pest sang on Antichrist. I always thought it was just Pest. Anyway you will see yourself when you get the albums little to no info or lyrics has ever been included with anything.

Some fella from down the country was up the front the last time Gorgoroth played antagonising Hoest for the entire show. Hoest was drinking from a wine bottle and when it was finished he smashed it over your man's head. I don't think anything ever came of it but I can't see H having them over again after something like that. Hellfire from here said he knew the lad personally but he doesn't seem to post on here anymore.

This for me is the bands best song but unfortunately they have never been able to recreate the proper drum sound for it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF63k4axFXM

Quote from: mickO))) on October 02, 2024, 01:08:43 PMI was just looking at MA and it says Hat and Pest sang on Antichrist. I always thought it was just Pest. Anyway you will see yourself when you get the albums little to no info or lyrics has ever been included with anything.

Some fella from down the country was up the front the last time Gorgoroth played antagonising Hoest for the entire show. Hoest was drinking from a wine bottle and when it was finished he smashed it over your man's head. I don't think anything ever came of it but I can't see H having them over again after something like that. Hellfire from here said he knew the lad personally but he doesn't seem to post on here anymore.

This for me is the bands best song but unfortunately they have never been able to recreate the proper drum sound for it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF63k4axFXM

That's a cracker of a tune to be fair.
It's weird MA has no record of  Nick Barker doing the AMDS tour. I'm almost certain he was on drums for them.

I remember that incident being talked about now, yeah. Hoest was on vocals for Gorgoroth or Taake were playing that gig too?

Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 02, 2024, 01:43:49 PMI remember that incident being talked about now, yeah. Hoest was on vocals for Gorgoroth or Taake were playing that gig too?
Gorgoroth. Vital Remains supported, twas in the Voodoo

Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 02, 2024, 01:43:49 PMI remember that incident being talked about now, yeah. Hoest was on vocals for Gorgoroth or Taake were playing that gig too?

Hoest has been the live vocalist ever since the Serbian guy joined which makes the addition of the Serbian even stranger since they should have just had Hoest join as the main vocalist.

Taake only played here the once from what I remember they did Fibbers and An Cruiscin Lan in 08 or 09 I think it was.

Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on October 02, 2024, 01:40:59 PMThat's a cracker of a tune to be fair.
It's weird MA has no record of  Nick Barker doing the AMDS tour. I'm almost certain he was on drums for them.

Barker was definitely here for most of if not all of the Gaahl shows. I can't remember if he was here for the show with 1349 in the Voodoo back in 05. I remember being so excited for that gig was very young and I couldn't believe Gorgoroth were playing in Dublin. Even 1349 were great that night.

1349 is another band that hasn't played here in a very long time.

Ta
Quote from: mickO))) on October 02, 2024, 02:02:59 PM

Hoest has been the live vocalist ever since the Serbian guy joined which makes the addition of the Serbian even stranger since they should have just had Hoest join as the main vocalist.

Taake only played here the once from what I remember they did Fibbers and An Cruiscin Lan in 08 or 09 I think it was.

Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on October 02, 2024, 01:40:59 PMThat's a cracker of a tune to be fair.

Barker was definitely here for most of if not all of the Gaahl shows. I can't remember if he was here for the show with 1349 in the Voodoo back in 05. I remember being so excited for that gig was very young and I couldn't believe Gorgoroth were playing in Dublin. Even 1349 were great that night.

1349 is another band that hasn't played here in a very long time.
Taake in the Cruiscin was mighty, that was a great spot for gigs.

That gig in 05 with 1349 was incredible. First truly menacing gig I saw. Can't really think of others. Atilla was there and got up for Buried by Time and Dust with 1349.

#14 October 02, 2024, 03:10:16 PM Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 03:23:22 PM by Naraka
Quote from: open face surgery on October 02, 2024, 02:45:49 PMThat gig in 05 with 1349 was incredible. First truly menacing gig I saw. Can't really think of others. Atilla was there and got up for Buried by Time and Dust with 1349.

Gorgoroth were class that night. I remember Gaahl being truly intense that night.

Pentagram, Antichrist and Under The Sign are all great albums in their own right.
I haven't listened to Twilight of the Idols or Ad Majorem in years, I must give them a listen.