Funny this thread should pop up. Out of all the main Norwegian bands from the 90s Gorgoroth is the one I've given least attention to. Maybe I felt they were missing some of the grandiose atmosphere of their contemporaries. However in recent times I've been listening more and more and their first two Antichrist and Pentagram have clicked. I had Destroyer on in the car only yesterday but not a patch on the two aforementioned. Never gave the Gaahl stuff a go. Maybe time to change that.

There's some merit across the whole discography - I was big into AMSG when it came out, Wound Upon Wound is a serious opener - but Pentagram is the only one I've always come back to over time.

I think their lack of focus on "atmosphere" relative to their peers at the time, prob made them less vital, but Pentagram just goes for it at a gallop for the duration. One of my favourites for sure.

What I like about Pentagram is way it's 1,2,3 attack for the whole lot of it.
The Gaahl stuff is like a more grown up approach but still has an element of madness from himself on vocals.
On a  side note I still don't know if we are being trolled with the new Trelldom album.

Quote from: Paul keohane on October 03, 2024, 12:38:05 PMDr Rock,a fella that was run out of the metal scene in Cork! :laugh:
Aye a thieving cunt and a nonce.

What did he do? I remember H posting on the old forum that he ripped him off on a few gigs but was he up to other stuff as well?

Quote from: mickO))) on October 04, 2024, 02:18:51 PMWhat did he do? I remember H posting on the old forum that he ripped him off on a few gigs but was he up to other stuff as well?
There was all sorts of rumours at the time ,that he was letting girls under 18 into gigs,buying them drink etc in exchange for ...!.

Quote from: Paul keohane on October 04, 2024, 02:37:03 PM
Quote from: mickO))) on October 04, 2024, 02:18:51 PMWhat did he do? I remember H posting on the old forum that he ripped him off on a few gigs but was he up to other stuff as well?
There was all sorts of rumours at the time ,that he was letting girls under 18 into gigs,buying them drink etc in exchange for ...!.

Ah right I didn't know that. Only seen him a handful of times checking tickets at shows.

Quote from: mickO))) on October 04, 2024, 02:38:40 PM
Quote from: Paul keohane on October 04, 2024, 02:37:03 PM

Ah right I didn't know that. Only seen him a handful of times checking tickets at shows.
How much of it is true I don't know,but it all ties in with him disappearing out of Cork.

Twilight of the Idols on here now. It's not really doing it for me.

People could reasonably cite St. Anger as having the worst snare sound in metal, but Under the Sign of Hell makes St. Anger's sound like it was engineered by Alan Parsons.

Could quite easily pass for two pool balls clattering.

#41 October 04, 2024, 11:43:00 PM Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 11:55:09 PM by Carnage
Yeah, it's awful. I might listen to the rerecording now to see what the craic is.

Edit: just as bad, if not worse.

Turned off Twilight... boring shite.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 04, 2024, 11:44:05 PMTurned off Twilight... boring shite.
I still haven't put it back on since remembering it the other day but this isn't making me rush to it either :laugh:

Quote from: ochoill on October 05, 2024, 02:03:49 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 04, 2024, 11:44:05 PMTurned off Twilight... boring shite.
I still haven't put it back on since remembering it the other day but this isn't making me rush to it either :laugh:

Was that the one I had the cd of back in the day?