Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 26, 2024, 09:54:33 AMBeen quite a while since I spent a day listening to Cathedral, but looks like today's the day for it!  :abbath:

I've been listening all day myself. Carnival Bizarre in particular. It is definitely one of the absolute best albums of the 90's. 

I mean, every tune is a banger, and packed with immense riffs from Gaz. How underrated are songs like this in the grand scheme of things?   

If it had the production of The Ethereal Mirror it'd be immense, but it's a bit thin in comparison and that snare sounds shite. I could do without the "Huggy Bear, oh yeah!" interlude in Utopian Blaster too.

I know the band hated the sound on TEM but it sounds perfect to me, heavy as balls. Ashes You Leave could be on Forest, or the Soul Sacrifice EP at least.

I like the production/mix on Carnival Bizarre to be honest, and Supernatural Birth Machine too. Although I don't think that is as consistent as the previous releases. But listening to it again there earlier, it holds up pretty well.

Most of their albums do really, even if there is the odd filler track or creative misstep. 

I don't know why they dislike TEM sound wise though, it always sounded excellent to me.

Quote from: Count Magnus on June 25, 2024, 09:28:06 PMThis beautiful fucker of a riff just started playing in my head.  :abbath:

Quote from: The Wretch on June 25, 2024, 09:31:38 PMObviously you can't go far wrong with Gaz Jennings.

The riff that comes in around 6.13 is easily one of the heaviest, and best ever committed to tape.

The ending riff of this'un.

Some crackers with Death Penalty, Septic Tank, the first Lucifer album, and who could forget this wee nugget -

"Goddess" by Acid Reign! Man, I haven't heard that tune since I was 15 years old (32 years ago!)! Thank you so much for posting that, I totally had forgotten about it, loved it way back then. Then Death and Black metal took over. Weird how some tunes can just fade away from memory...happy days...

#49 June 27, 2024, 12:19:50 AM Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 12:21:42 AM by Carnage
Quote from: The Wretch on June 26, 2024, 11:46:27 PMI like the production/mix on Carnival Bizarre to be honest, and Supernatural Birth Machine too. Although I don't think that is as consistent as the previous releases. But listening to it again there earlier, it holds up pretty well.

Most of their albums do really, even if there is the odd filler track or creative misstep. 

I don't know why they dislike TEM sound wise though, it always sounded excellent to me.

I think it was too polished and slick for them, this would have been around the time of the Earache/Columbia deal so Dig would have had an eye on America, big rock sound was what he wanted. Heartwork has a similar polish to it IMO, more so in fact. Fear Emptiness Despair too, all in the same period.

I think I've only heard Supernatural and Caravan once each, didn't think much of either. His vocals were a bit too zany for me. The only post Carnival one I had time for was Endtyme, that's a heavy baysht.

Quote from: Putrefaction on June 27, 2024, 12:10:42 AM
Quote from: The Wretch on June 25, 2024, 09:31:38 PMObviously you can't go far wrong with Gaz Jennings.

Who could forget this wee nugget -

"Goddess" by Acid Reign! Man, I haven't heard that tune since I was 15 years old (32 years ago!)! Thank you so much for posting that, I totally had forgotten about it, loved it way back then. Then Death and Black metal took over. Weird how some tunes can just fade away from memory...happy days...

I was a massive fan of 'Moshkinstein' at the time. Their other stuff didn't really hit for me, but that EP, and especially 'Goddess' was a cracker.
Quote from: Carnage on June 27, 2024, 12:19:50 AM
Quote from: The Wretch on June 26, 2024, 11:46:27 PMI like the production/mix on Carnival Bizarre to be honest, and Supernatural Birth Machine too. Although I don't think that is as consistent as the previous releases. But listening to it again there earlier, it holds up pretty well.

I think it was too polished and slick for them, this would have been around the time of the Earache/Columbia deal so Dig would have had an eye on America, big rock sound was what he wanted. Heartwork has a similar polish to it IMO, more so in fact. Fear Emptiness Despair too, all in the same period.

I think I've only heard Supernatural and Caravan once each, didn't think much of either. His vocals were a bit too zany for me. The only post Carnival one I had time for was Endtyme, that's a heavy baysht.

Agreed on Heartwork and Fear Emptiness Despair, but I think Carnival works way better that either of those. Not that I don't like those albums.

I get why people maybe don't enjoy that mid period stuff, especially the zany humour bit. Endtyme is the business. You weren't into 'The Last Spire' though?   

No, it did nothing for me.

I was referring to The Ethereal Mirror in terms of polished production, incidentally. The Carnival Bizarre sounds a bit stark in comparison. I prefer the demo version of Vampire Sun, for instance but it works on Hopkins (The Witchfinder General) somehow.

The riff that kicks in around the 6 minute mark, class.

Quote from: Carnage on June 27, 2024, 01:08:17 AMNo, it did nothing for me.

I was referring to The Ethereal Mirror in terms of polished production, incidentally. The Carnival Bizarre sounds a bit stark in comparison. I prefer the demo version of Vampire Sun, for instance but it works on Hopkins (The Witchfinder General) somehow.

Ah, I get you.

Yeah, the demo of 'Vampire Sun' is like a bulldozer. Love the 'Joe 90' theme tune intro too.

Yeah, I was disappointed that it didn't make the album. I might switch it in for the phone.

Mr Mustaine has an embarrassment of riches to choose from when it comes to the art of riffage.

But I've always been fond of the riff that comes in with "You say you've got the answers, well who asked you anyway?"

And the one that comes in with "The final judgment came, and was spread before you aaaaaaaaall!"

All the Cathedral talk has given me the goo. Have "Mirror" on going to work. I remember at the time struggling with "groovy" Lee. Some of the music was immense so I kind of tolerated it. I don't mind it now...it has a charm. Coming from Forest.. though, it was like...what the fuck is this  ;D

#57 June 27, 2024, 08:18:05 AM Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 08:20:34 AM by The Wretch
It was quite the change. And the 'Midnight Mountain' video is still kind of jarring to watch, even if the cringe factor is at least slightly lessened by time, nostalgia, and general fondness for those involved. 

But I will admit, sticking that whole "Ooh disco supernova..." bit in what was otherwise one of the mightiest doom tunes of all time - Cosmic Funeral - still grates somewhat, even now. Not that I don't enjoy that song, but still. Not exactly the song for it really.

It's pure CF worship but all the lovelier for it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YteTJGglj6A

The Vallenfyre stuff was mint. Strigoi are great too.

Much as I enjoy the more recent PL albums,I prefer what Greg and Nick have done with their (heavier) side projects.