First song I always check for on a pub jukebox.

If you're in a bar, you spot me with a pint in my hand and you hear "Dearg Doom" - it's game on.

Just realised that it has the same cymbal intro as my earlier choice...

Would that be "the unmistakable hi-hat cymbal intro of Bill Ward followed by the razor fuzz of Our Lord Tony Iommi"?

Quote from: StoutAndAle on June 25, 2024, 04:26:51 PMFirst song I always check for on a pub jukebox.

If you're in a bar, you spot me with a pint in my hand and you hear "Dearg Doom" - it's game on.

Just realised that it has the same cymbal intro as my earlier choice...
My gobshite cousin overdid it with putting Put 'em Under Pressure on repeatedly during Italia 90 and forever ruined that riff for me😂

Quote from: Carnage on June 25, 2024, 04:44:59 PMWould that be "the unmistakable hi-hat cymbal intro of Bill Ward followed by the razor fuzz of Our Lord Tony Iommi"?

The Sab, biy... THE SAB!

All of the first half.

That intro. That verse riff.

#21 June 25, 2024, 06:48:50 PM Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 06:50:28 PM by The Wretch

The fucking CHUG on this fucker, what they do with the bare minimum of notes.

The intro to this track is insanely good, probably my favourite Slayer riff, just incredible groove. Such a shame the song wasn't filled out in that vein, imo.

Beautiful heavy melodic kick-in here around 8:14. Just a fantastic song start to finish but that but in particular gets me every time.

Newer one here, super dissonant death metal. The outro riff teased at 2:40 that comes back properly again at 3:17 is top shelf meathead shit. Entire album is well worth a listen.

#23 June 25, 2024, 07:18:48 PM Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 07:28:13 PM by The Wretch
The Firebird albums are packed with incredible riffs.

None more so that the ending riff of this song, which I wish could go on forever.

Another song with a great ending riffs -

Also, those slow, sludgy Azagthoth riffs are immense.

And the riff that comes in around 1.44/45 on this track, with the little widdly bit. You know the one I mean.

The breakdown riff !

#25 June 25, 2024, 07:43:23 PM Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 09:08:11 PM by The Wretch
Bill Steer appreciation -

Megadeth - Killing is my Buisiness. That riff with the chromatic notes - banger!

Pantera - Revolution is my Name. Groovy chug!

This beautiful fucker of a riff just started playing in my head.  :abbath:

#29 June 25, 2024, 09:31:38 PM Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 09:35:11 PM by The Wretch
Obviously you can't go far wrong with Gaz Jennings.

The riff that comes in around 6.13 is easily one of the heaviest, and best ever committed to tape.

The ending riff of this'un.

Some crackers with Death Penalty, Septic Tank, the first Lucifer album, and who could forget this wee nugget -