Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 10, 2024, 11:00:45 AMPile - "Dripping" - https://pile.bandcamp.com/album/dripping
Stuck - "Freak Frequency" - https://stuckchi.bandcamp.com/album/freak-frequency
Faraquet - "The View From This Tower" - https://faraquet.bandcamp.com/album/the-view-from-this-tower

Pile have released some quality stuff. I was obsessed with Jerk Routine when I discovered them.

Now playing Manic's Gold Against the Soul after your comment in the Riffs thread. Don't know why I never properly listened to this one as I'm a Holy Bible fanatic. Fucking great.

I saw Pile live last year having been a fan for a while and they were absolutely mesmerising. One of the best bands out there.

still playing the shit out of the Nightosphere album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMB2O3klbs

been listening to the new Redd Kross a lot over the last few days. They're getting better with age.

Quote from: Count Magnus on July 10, 2024, 04:45:03 PMPile have released some quality stuff. I was obsessed with Jerk Routine when I discovered them.

Now playing Manic's Gold Against the Soul after your comment in the Riffs thread. Don't know why I never properly listened to this one as I'm a Holy Bible fanatic. Fucking great.

I'm a longtime MSP fanboy so I'm delighted to hear that. One of the first gigs that I ever went to was to see them on "The Holy Bible" tour.

If you like "The Holy Bible" take a listen to this Meat Wave track "Sham King" and tell me what you hear...

Actually - that whole Meat Wave album - "Delusion Moon" - is fucking brilliant and is worth a non-metal listen.

Seconding "Delusion Moon" being class

Thirding
"Waveless" off the last album is an amazing tune

Was gonna post in the industrial thread but fuck it - been listening to a lot of noise/ambient/esperimental lately.A few bits in particular
Green Tea "Owl Arcana"
Barret E. Lidiard "Comet Kept Crashing" (absolutely loving this)
Jim Haynes "Inauspicious"
Sifting through the Cementation Anxiety discography as well, beautiful ambient guitar stuff

Spit "Suffocate yourself" as well - best punk(ish) band in Ireland, like Teenage Jesus & the Jerks/"Confusion" era Sonic Youth with some Gravity Records in there

Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 10, 2024, 05:00:36 PM
Quote from: Count Magnus on July 10, 2024, 04:45:03 PMPile have released some quality stuff. I was obsessed with Jerk Routine when I discovered them.

I'm a longtime MSP fanboy so I'm delighted to hear that. One of the first gigs that I ever went to was to see them on "The Holy Bible" tour.

If you like "The Holy Bible" take a listen to this Meat Wave track "Sham King" and tell me what you hear...

Actually - that whole Meat Wave album - "Delusion Moon" - is fucking brilliant and is worth a non-metal listen.

Very strong Die in the Summertime vibes off that tune! Meat Wave have been recommended to me before, but I never checked them out. I'll give them a listen.

Saw the Manic's at Trip to Tipp in 97 which was a great show. They played Faster but I can't remember if they played any other Holy Bible tracks - I was on the Scrumpy Jack so don't remember too much!

I was such a huge fan of The Holy Bible that I kind of ignored their previous releases. Generation Terrorist was too poppy and not abrasive enough for me at the time. I may have listened to Gold at some point and dismissed it, but loved it yesterday and bought a copy on Amazon.

Journal for Plague Lovers is the only one of their recent albums that I can get into for obvious reasons.  :laugh: 

Listened to Within the Realm of a Dying Sun and The Serpent's Egg this morning.

Within is flawless. The Serpent's Egg has some amazing tunes, but is also the point where I think DCD began to add too many shorter, less interesting tracks that sound very ordinary compared to the likes of The Host of Seraphim. I found the mind wandering a bit when listening to a few of the songs on Serpent whereas Within never fails to keeps me captivated.

#397 July 11, 2024, 10:13:00 AM Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 10:14:34 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Count Magnus on July 11, 2024, 09:07:17 AMVery strong Die in the Summertime vibes off that tune! Meat Wave have been recommended to me before, but I never checked them out. I'll give them a listen.

Saw the Manic's at Trip to Tipp in 97 which was a great show. They played Faster but I can't remember if they played any other Holy Bible tracks - I was on the Scrumpy Jack so don't remember too much!

I was such a huge fan of The Holy Bible that I kind of ignored their previous releases. Generation Terrorist was too poppy and not abrasive enough for me at the time. I may have listened to Gold at some point and dismissed it, but loved it yesterday and bought a copy on Amazon.

Journal for Plague Lovers is the only one of their recent albums that I can get into for obvious reasons.  :laugh: 

Spot on. There's a waft of "Revol" and "PCP" off it too, in my opinion.

"Generation Terrorists" was given to me by a friend's older brother in 1992/1993. The same fella had turned me on to "Appetite For Destruction" and "Kill 'Em All" not long before it.

I was at that Trip To Tipp as well. I only recall them playing "Australia" as the opener cos it sounded shocking - they played "Faster" for sure and the only other song I remember them playing was "Motown Junk" which is possibly my favourite song, not just of theirs but of all time.

The Prodigy were on straight after them, if my memory is working correctly. Whoever was on next was the soundtrack to my leaving the gaff - stone cold sober.  :laugh:   

"Journal For Plague Lovers" is either their 2nd or 3rd best record depending on my mood with "Everything Must Go".

Massive fan or not - nowadays, I can't listen to "Generation Terrorists" all the way through, ditto "This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours" and "Know Your Enemy" - too long, not enough focus but some killer tunes lost in their respective mires. I could never get into "Lifeblood" though I am told it deserves another chance. See also "Resistance Is Futile" - though the lead single "International Blue" is a cracker.

"Send Away The Tigers" is grand and probably gave them the shot to save their career.

In terms of later records I really like the 1-2 punch of the contemplative Wilco-esque "Rewind The Film" and the Krautrocky "Futurology" - recorded and released within 9 months of each other.

I have a real soft spot for "Postcards From A Young Man" too. Mainly because they were expected to fuck off at that point but they were like an underdog boxer and had real swagger on that back to basics tour. 

Their latest - "The Ultra Vivid Lament" - is a very solid album also.

I must give Journal... another go, I heard it when it came out and it did nothing for me. Send Away The Tigers I gave a few spins to and promptly forgot about. Aside from those two, I haven't heard a note post This Is My Truth..., I just wasn't too bothered with them after that. The Holy Bible, Gold Against The Soul and to a lesser extent Everything Must Go are all mighty though.

Speaking of the Manics...  :laugh:

I watched a DIY documentary on their period around "The Holy Bible" and Edwards' disapearance a week or two ago. One of the bands mentioned as being an influence on Bradfield at that time was Girls Against Boys - particularly their album "Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby".

I've had it on a few times and I can hear it in certain places. I can also hear Therapy?, Unsane and Helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozH-mpcznb8&list=PLNPGM2D7aODfXiUVgXsFDE4VDcVJ3Cdya

Gomez: Bring It On

Despite the whiff of 'eternal students' off it it's a great summer album, and yer man Ottewell has a great, bluesy voice.

Listened to this a few minutes ago after hearing he made a comeback album. Tis good

Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 10, 2024, 05:00:36 PMIf you like "The Holy Bible" take a listen to this Meat Wave track "Sham King" and tell me what you hear...

I hear Rebel Robot and Revol in a blender with a dash of Tilts and Riddle of Steel and I like it, just picked up Delusion Moon on Bandcamp  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o73AFiRXTBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf91dTrLkgA

Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 11, 2024, 10:56:51 AMSpeaking of the Manics...  :laugh:

I watched a DIY documentary on their period around "The Holy Bible" and Edwards' disapearance a week or two ago. One of the bands mentioned as being an influence on Bradfield at that time was Girls Against Boys - particularly their album "Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby".

I've had it on a few times and I can hear it in certain places. I can also hear Therapy?, Unsane and Helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozH-mpcznb8&list=PLNPGM2D7aODfXiUVgXsFDE4VDcVJ3Cdya

I remember reading an interview with Richey where he said the album after The Holy Bible was going to sound like Pantera meets Nine Inch Nails. That would have been interesting to hear! 

Quote from: Count Magnus on July 16, 2024, 10:14:31 AM
Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 11, 2024, 10:56:51 AMSpeaking of the Manics...  :laugh:

I remember reading an interview with Richey where he said the album after The Holy Bible was going to sound like Pantera meets Nine Inch Nails. That would have been interesting to hear! 

I actually remember that being said as well. Fair didn't turn out like that in the finish