#405 July 17, 2024, 09:20:54 AM Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 09:27:54 AM by Count Magnus Reason: :)
Quote from: astfgyl on July 16, 2024, 07:17:08 PM
Quote from: Count Magnus on July 16, 2024, 10:14:31 AM
Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 11, 2024, 10:56:51 AMSpeaking of the Manics...  :laugh:

I watched a DIY documentary on their period around "The Holy Bible" and Edwards' disapearance a week or two ago. One of the bands mentioned as being an influence on Bradfield at that time was Girls Against Boys - particularly their album "Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby".

I've had it on a few times and I can hear it in certain places. I can also hear Therapy?, Unsane and Helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozH-mpcznb8&list=PLNPGM2D7aODfXiUVgXsFDE4VDcVJ3Cdya

I remember reading an interview with Richey where he said the album after The Holy Bible was going to sound like Pantera meets Nine Inch Nails. That would have been interesting to hear! 

I actually remember that being said as well. Fair didn't turn out like that in the finish

No, it was more like Boston meets Simply Red.

NP The Fall - New Facts Emerge

Quote from: Count Magnus on July 16, 2024, 10:14:31 AMI remember reading an interview with Richey where he said the album after The Holy Bible was going to sound like Pantera meets Nine Inch Nails. That would have been interesting to hear! 

Pantera meets Nine Inch Nails covering "Screamadelica".

Quote from: Count Magnus on July 17, 2024, 09:20:54 AMNo, it was more like Boston meets Simply Red.

Ah here!

Microdisney - "The Clock Comes Down The Stairs" - Cathal Coughlan was a genius (no real pun intended) but - like most Irish geniuses - not recognised properly in his lifetime. One of the most played records in my collection to this very day.   

REM - "New Adventures In Hi-Fi" - Pulled this down off the shelf last night because the song "Bittersweet Me" was rolling around in my head all day yesterday, don't know why. Unfairly mauled and maligned by the critics at the time of release due to their massive Warner Music contract. I thought it was excellent then and is one of their best albums now. Probably their last truly great record - given the absolute pish they came up with after this.

I bought New Adventures In Hi-Fi a couple of years ago when I got a sudden and unexpected REM buzz going. I'm fairly certain I didn't even get to the end of it. Must give it a go again because when they're good they're great

It's the first of the succession of unlistenable albums for me. Love everything up to it, this and the following ones bore the bejesus out of me.

#411 July 18, 2024, 10:25:43 AM Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 10:31:12 AM by The Wretch
Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 17, 2024, 03:43:37 PMMicrodisney - "The Clock Comes Down The Stairs" - Cathal Coughlan was a genius (no real pun intended) but - like most Irish geniuses - not recognised properly in his lifetime. One of the most played records in my collection to this very day. 

My cousin is a big Coughlan fan. I like a quite a bit of the Microdisney and Fatima Mansions stuff, as well as Grand Necropolitan and Black River Falls. Went to see him live (support by Giordaí Ua Laoghaire's band Nine Wassies From Bainne) years ago. Excellent gig.

Quote from: The Wretch on July 18, 2024, 10:25:43 AMMy cousin is a big Coughlan fan. I like a quite a bit of the Microdisney and Fatima Mansions stuff, as well as Grand Necropolitan and Black River Falls. Went to see him live (support by Giordaí Ua Laoghaire's band Nine Wassies From Bainne) years ago. Excellent gig.

That's class, he was a brilliant performer - like Nick Cave but with Irish self-effacement.

I saw him do his "Flannery's Mounted Head" show in Father Matthew Hall around 2005, that was mad. He did a "Black River Falls/Sky's Awful Blue" album gig in 2006 in Cyprus Avenue as well.

I saw the reformed Microdisney a few times between 2018-2019.

And back to the Manic Street Preachers... yet again... The B-Side of the Manics' cover of "Theme from M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless)" is The Fatima Mansions doing a cover of "Everything I Do..."

#413 July 18, 2024, 01:23:39 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 01:25:53 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 18, 2024, 11:07:42 AMAnd back to the Manic Street Preachers... yet again... The B-Side of the Manics' cover of "Theme from M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless)" is The Fatima Mansions doing a cover of "Everything I Do..."

Ha! They did a pretty decent, and surprisingly faithful cover of Ministry's 'Stigmata' back in the day too from what I remember (haven't listened to 'Come Back My Children' in years, must give it another spin) And an incredible version of 'Nite Flights' by Scott Walker.

Did you listen to that Bubonique 'Trans Arse Vol 1' thing he did with Sean Hughes?

With the perverse techno cover of 'Freebird', and the version of Wham's Last Christmas that sounds like Barney Greenway singing a cappella.

And the piss take of Axl Rose supposedly doing an industrial album ("Industrial Woman, Jack my ham-ahh, toooo-nih-eee-hight...")

Mental stuff altogether.       

Joy Division: Closer

Came out 44 years ago today, still sounds fresh IMO.

Joy Division completely passed me by for years and years despite the T-Shirts making me think they'd sound cool. Brother bought me a copy of Closer a few christmasses ago and I love it. Never really took to Unknown Pleasures at all though for no particular reason but it's never a bad time for Closer

Closer was my introduction to them. Borrowed the vinyl from a mate and stuck it on a tape - unfortunately the sides weren't marked so I put side two on first, and listened to it that way for at least a decade. I have three versions of it on CD now so no danger of getting it wrong, but it still sounds 'wrong' to me nowadays.

I'm the opposite when it comes to Joy Division. 'Unknown Pleasures' was my introduction, and that, as well as the stuff from the Ideal For Living ep, early Peel sessions, the Warsaw material etc would be my preference. Not that I don't really enjoy 'Closer' mind you, it is an incredible album. 

The God Machine: Scenes From The Second Storey

One of those perfect albums that surprises you every time you come back to it.

ADAM AND THE ANTS -  Live Chicago 81 ('Kings Of The Wild Frontier' 2016 Super Deluxe Edition)
SIOUXIE AND THE BANSHEES - Juju
TWISTED NERVE - Séance