Always fascinated by this type of thing and these Di'anno gigs in Australia certainly fit the bill, footage is atrocious. So many facets to it, what's going through the other musicians minds etc, if you were part of the audience would you just hang on and grab the popcorn or fuck off?

Has anything like this happened at a show in Dublin? Only meltdown I can think of right now is Axl's walk off at the 3Arena.

Quote"Di'Anno's favorite word contains four letters and begins with C — and just about everyone was in the firing line. The bloke at the sound desk was one, multiple punters literally begging him to keep playing — all shared the same word. One punter got told to call a cab or he was going home in an ambulance. It would almost have been funny if it wasn't so sad. I wanted to follow the lead of a few others and just walk out, but morbid curiosity got the better of me and I stayed until the bitter end. Di'Anno was on a bizarre journey. Like the stages of grief, we saw the denial of it being anyone's fault but his own. Next was expletive-ridden anger directed at a female punter near the front being told to 'shut the f^%k up' and to either stop drinking, or drink more. It was hard to tell in his rambling rant. The bargaining started with a few songs from the end of the show, and although the sound guy was still a C — now came contrition, apologies, and the promise of a free show for when/if he returns. Depression is what we were all feeling and Di'Anno looked like a defeated man."

I can't recall being at anything quite so shite as that Di'Anno footage. If you go to one of his gigs, though, you deserve everything you get. He has been a complete mess for how long now?

I've been a part of some, though. I was in a band where the singer left half way through a gig. Left the stage, left the band. The second half of the set was worse than the first, I can assure you. In a different band, the singer - not the same lad - got into a fight with some of the crowd at the end of the gig. It's no craic when you just want to play some tunes and fuck off and this shit blows up around you.

QuoteI can't recall being at anything quite so shite as that Di'Anno footage. If you go to one of his gigs, though, you deserve everything you get. He has been a complete mess for how long now?

Yeah, would agree that expectation there would've been quite low.

Down the rabbit hole now, first minute of this is pure gold. Circle pit adds to the bizarre nature of it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEX_WXa6Af8

The first time Down played Dublin, a totally wasted Phil Anselmo and Pepper Keenan were bickering with each other. Anselmo kept calling Keenan a cocaine addict, much to Keenans annoyance who wanted Anselmo to stop his drunken rambling and introduce the next song. Towards the end of the show it looked like they might actually kick off properly when Jimmy Bower fucked a drumstick at Anselmo to get him to fuck up and get on with the show.

The next day the old forum was full of praise for it being a pure rock and roll show but it was a farce to have paid to see it.

Ah, glad you brought that one up. That was my exact recollection of it. Wasn't quite a trainwreck but it was  a poor poor performance and very tense on stage. I thought the band kept it tight reasonably well but the sound in the Ambassador was dire and Anselmo butchered every track vocally. The brodude contingent lapped it up and I remember the praise on the old forum the following day "Loved it when Anselmo wore the Irish Flag" etc.

I remember the b'auld Phil at one point reaching for the Mic missing it and losing his balance and went flat on his back.

I must have seen them the time after that because they were great when I saw them. Although, I was bananas so who fucking knows  :laugh:

I'd imagine we're talking about the same gig. 2006 at the Ambassador.

Most seemed to love it but I genuinely think people were over excited at the occasion, it was a shit performance.

CKY in the Ambassador. Not my thing anyway but they were hammered and falling around the place. Toward the end the guitarist climbed on top of a speaker and tried to do that 'throw the guitar over your shoulder, around behind you and back in front' move, only for said guitar to be launched into the crowd and some young punter's face. After that the plug was pulled on them. Atrocious, although the young lad I had brought to it enjoyed them, and they were with it enough to chat & sign a few bits for him after.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 19, 2024, 11:41:05 AMI must have seen them the time after that because they were great when I saw them. Although, I was bananas so who fucking knows  :laugh:

I think the next gig was the following year. They were much better then and were even better a few years later in the Academy.

Oh another disastrous gig was Soulfly in the Academy. Now admitedly I'm not a fan but a mate gave me a spare ticket for it and the gig was so bad that I still felt ripped off. Max owes me at least the parking and tolls for that one! Seeing the once great Max looking like the trash heap from Fraggle Rock while playing air guitar above his ACTUAL guitar was a sad sight indeed.

Grave Miasma and the guitar restring that took up most of their set at Redemption fest years ago. I think someone said it was an unnaturally complicated guitar to replace a string.

I was at that Down gig but can't remember a thing about it for good or bad, was on the beer for days at that point and was probably as mashed as Anselmo by that point

Nuclear Assault in the Astoria in 2003. John Connelly wandered on stage drunk as an extremely drunken skunk. Started ranting about something, then about 15 mins in sat down and stopped playing. Lilker and co finished the song, and that was it.

Nuclear Assault, that show in the Billage as it was then around 2004/2005 was possibly the worst thing I've ever been at. Absolutely dreadful, sound was terrible to boot. Band looked like they were there for a laugh.