Black Sabbath, the grandfathers of metal, some of the greatest albums ever in music. Your job now is to pick two albums from their catalogue that you love the most. Just 2 mind...

#1 November 29, 2023, 02:30:51 PM Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 02:33:34 PM by Carnage
It's like asking your favourite Maiden album, I'd have a different answer every day. My favourite has always been Master Of Reality, some of their best stuff on there (is there a better song to jump around like an eejit to than Children Of The Grave?). Lord Of This World & Into The Void, two absolute doom classics there.

As for another, at the moment it'd be Vol. 4. The closing section of Wheels Of Confusion is heavy as balls when it kicks in, you have Supernaut, Cornucopia, Under The Sun, Snowblind... even Changes I don't mind.

Choice of the first six really, isn't it? Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy were crap and the ones after aren't Sabbath albums despite the name being attached, but you're spoiled for choice with those first six.

This is like asking should you take the Ferrari, Porsche, or Lamborghini out to the country house at the weekend  :laugh:

Master of Reality is nailed on as my favourite for sure. It blew my mind hearing it for the first time in 2000, so that was filtered through a few years of listening to Metallica, Slayer, etc. it must've been a revelation hearing it back in 1971.

Tempted to put Paranoid second, purely as my favourite Sabbath song is on it, namely Hand of Doom  :abbath:

Quote from: Carnage on November 29, 2023, 02:30:51 PM...and the ones after aren't Sabbath albums despite the name being attached, but you're spoiled for choice with those first six.

Easy now!!!   :abbath:

I think Heaven and Hell is well in the mix too, I know Mob Rules has its supporters but yes for me the first six are where it's at.
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my personal favourite. It was the second Sabbath I heard after buying Technical Ecstasy, which is a hot mess, and I still love it.
After that I think the debut is my favourite, there really was nothing like it around. I know Paranoid has the big songs and Master of Reality is savage but 1.Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 2. Black Sabbath.

I genuinely think Heaven & Hell is one of the worst albums I've ever heard. My initial reaction was actual laughter, it's AOR pap.

Quote from: jobrok1 on November 29, 2023, 03:17:28 PM
Quote from: Carnage on November 29, 2023, 02:30:51 PM...and the ones after aren't Sabbath albums despite the name being attached, but you're spoiled for choice with those first six.

Easy now!!!   :abbath:

Nope. Iommi, Butler, Osbourne & Ward - that's Sabbath, they all brought something to the table that couldn't be replicated by any of their 'replacements', and the magic simply wasn't there with any other line up. Anything after the first eight is an Iommi solo album.

Mental take on Heaven and Hell. Amazing album.

Master of Reality and Paranoid.

Found that easy tbh

Probably Paranoid and Heaven & Hell

Always had a soft spot for Never Say Die and Technical Ecstacy too. When I was just getting into Sabbath I picked up those two because they were the cheapest (I know why now with their reputation) but, as you did back then, played them constantly to get my monies worth

It's like asking which of your children is your favourite!

Harder actually ;)

Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
A tie then between Master of Reality and debut

Sorry Vol 4, Paranoid
Yer mother is calling ye

1. Master of Reality. 2. Heaven and Hell. Honourable mention for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Can't really go wrong with any of their 1970 to 1975 material.

Quote from: astfgyl on November 29, 2023, 06:00:28 PMMaster of Reality and Paranoid.

Found that easy tbh

This with Dehumanizer coming in 3rd...

Quote from: The Great Cull on November 29, 2023, 07:52:02 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on November 29, 2023, 06:00:28 PMMaster of Reality and Paranoid.

Found that easy tbh

This with Dehumanizer coming in 3rd...

I've never heard Dehumanizer. Not even one tune iirc. Who is singing on that one?