Dio. TV Crimes was a decent tune, if memory serves.

Quote from: Carnage on November 29, 2023, 08:28:56 PMDio. TV Crimes was a decent tune, if memory serves.

Ah no wonder I never heard it so. Dio is like a dirty word to me when it comes to Sabbath. All they had to do was make up a new name. Like Sepultura with Greene, it's not that it's bad it's just not what it says on the tin

There's a track off it in Wayne's World, Time Machine.

Tough question to answer. Debut, Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Heaven & Hell... Debut has to be there for me, but tough to pick one out of the other three, or the other two if sticking to classic line-up.

Quote from: astfgyl on November 29, 2023, 06:00:28 PMMaster of Reality and Paranoid.

Found that easy tbh
Same here really.  Although the more I here Dio tracks, the more I enjoy it, but I usually only hear them live as covers (I couldn't tell you how often I have seen Craic Sabbath lol)

Small story in a related thread but at a gig a few months back, my wife was talking to a guitarist in another local band here who mentioned they were getting an Ozzy tribute band going.

"Oh right," she says, "and what sort of stuff will you be playing?"

"Well Ozzy stuff", he laughs back.

"What, like AC/DC? and - jesus I can't even think of anyone else."

Further brief confusion before he told her no, he didn't mean an Aussie tribute band.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 29, 2023, 09:36:26 PMThere's a track off it in Wayne's World, Time Machine.

Tough question to answer. Debut, Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Heaven & Hell... Debut has to be there for me, but tough to pick one out of the other three, or the other two if sticking to classic line-up.

I've never really enjoyed the debut beyond a couple of tracks. I get it's groundbreaking and all (Bobby Liebling might say different when he's taking a break from beating his old mother for drug money, but that's somewhat debatable in the sense he'd be telling her about how Pentagram might have been slightly ahead of Sabbath with the dark tones) but it's just a little bit too bluesy for my tastes. Still, the title track alone is enough to make it worth it.
Quote from: ochoill on November 29, 2023, 10:06:51 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on November 29, 2023, 06:00:28 PMMaster of Reality and Paranoid.

Found that easy tbh
Same here really.  Although the more I here Dio tracks, the more I enjoy it, but I usually only hear them live as covers (I couldn't tell you how often I have seen Craic Sabbath lol)

You should go see the hologram he's meant to be unreal in it. Oh wait no that's his solo stuff. It would take the extra few pence to get that in the Sabbath name  :laugh:

Paranoid and headless cross.

That Tony Martin album just doesn't get the love it deserves. Or any of his albums.

I can't pick just two.

But depending on which way the wind is blowing, the size and position of the moon and whether the tide is in or out.
It might be any pair of the following...

Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol.4, Mob Rules, Headless Cross, Tyr or Dehumanizer.

Quote from: astfgyl on November 29, 2023, 09:01:48 PM
Quote from: Carnage on November 29, 2023, 08:28:56 PMDio. TV Crimes was a decent tune, if memory serves.

Ah no wonder I never heard it so. Dio is like a dirty word to me when it comes to Sabbath. All they had to do was make up a new name. Like Sepultura with Greene, it's not that it's bad it's just not what it says on the tin

Hot take, but I agree (about Dio at least, as I fucking love some of the Greene-era Seps stuff  :laugh: )

I also think Dio is vastly overrated in general. He had a great technique/was naturally gifted as a vocalist, but he also bored me to tears. Doubly so with the D'n'D/dork bent to his lyrics.

Ah man, Against is one of my favourite Seps albums if we are calling it the same thing but it's not really a Sepultura album at all without max, is it?

Just get a new name and enjoy the buzz of playing without that lad you fell out with.

Look at Fear Factory for example

This is gone way off topic.
  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

This discussion probably should have it's own thread. Loads of bands to pick apart for it, like.

Quote from: astfgyl on November 29, 2023, 10:12:56 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 29, 2023, 09:36:26 PMThere's a track off it in Wayne's World, Time Machine.

I've never really enjoyed the debut beyond a couple of tracks. I get it's groundbreaking and all (Bobby Liebling might say different when he's taking a break from beating his old mother for drug money, but that's somewhat debatable in the sense he'd be telling her about how Pentagram might have been slightly ahead of Sabbath with the dark tones) but it's just a little bit too bluesy for my tastes. Still, the title track alone is enough to make it worth it.
Quote from: ochoill on November 29, 2023, 10:06:51 PM

Found that easy tbh

You should go see the hologram he's meant to be unreal in it. Oh wait no that's his solo stuff. It would take the extra few pence to get that in the Sabbath name  :laugh:
N. I. B?

#27 November 30, 2023, 09:06:15 AM Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 09:12:13 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: ochoill on November 29, 2023, 10:12:03 PMFurther brief confusion before he told her no, he didn't mean an Aussie tribute band.

:laugh:

For me, it has to be "Vol. 4" above all else and then "Paranoid" (which was in a hard fought battle with "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" but "Paranoid edges it).

I think that with a lot of classic band back-catalogues your favourites can depend on where you drop in. For example the first Sabbath album I ever heard in full (besides "We Sold Our Soul For Rock N' Roll") was "Vol. 4" and I near played it to death. Then came "Paranoid" and then the rest.

I doubt a lot of us on here were around for Sab's first run (if you are, fair play) and I would think that most of us are of the brother/friend's older brother/cousin "here, listen to this" tape generation.

It wasn't that easy (or affordable) to become familiar with an entire discography. So we probably only had one album to listen to for ages until it became ingrained.

I listened to Paranoid last night and instantly became unsure of my previous pick  :laugh: 

Might need to have a run at the whole lot for a proper reminder! :abbath:

Paranoid is in that bucket of albums with Master Of Puppets and Reign In Blood where I ran the thing into the ground as a youngster and would be very unlikely to sit down and listen to it end to end these days.  It's certainly the hits.

Master Of Reality and Heaven & Hell.  Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in there too.

I don't think I'd be labelling Never Say Die as shite, either.