If you enjoyed that, give Luke Haines' Bad Vibes a go - it's part an Auteurs memoir, part a deconstruction of the whole Britpop scene. Equally funny and vitriolic.

Quote from: Don Gately on November 16, 2023, 12:44:25 PMGot Sebastian Barry's new one "Old God's Time" as a present so just getting onro that. Nice to get a book you mightnt have picked yourself and enjoying it.
Interspersed with Wendy Erskine's debut story collection Sweet Home and a bit of Checkhov.

I will keep an eye out. I've enjoyed anything of his that I've read.

Currently rereading The Exorcist. I haven't read it since I was about 13, I'm 43 now so wanted to see if it still holds up. It's very well-written, I was engrossed after the first few pages, and while I thought it might be tame by today's standards I was a bit shocked by the graphic descriptions of black masses.

Also reading Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr. His style can be jarring, the lack of quotation marks makes it hard to follow, but so far it's a very good, albeit depressing read.

I haven't read Requiem  but the film was well done.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

It was. But it was GRIM!

Yep, ..might dig it out for Xmas Eve actually
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Read last exit to Brooklyn guys, fantastic book.

Picked up a copy of The Hobbit in a charity shop. I've read LotR numerous times down the years but have never actually read The Hobbit. I know that it's a much lighter affair but I'm sure that delving back into that world will probably bring on an urge to read LotR again!

Have read LOTR a couple of times myself but only read the hobbit once. Maybe if I'd tried that one first it'd be better but as it stands it feels like reading the better one first sort of ruined it

I read it as a kid. I can't remember much now but that I enjoyed it. I might read it to my son when he's a bit bigger.

Quote from: Don Gately on November 18, 2023, 10:07:03 AMRead last exit to Brooklyn guys, fantastic book.

Grim as all fuck buy ya, great book. Must keep an eye out for Requiem. Truly disturbed the first time I saw that.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 18, 2023, 08:29:31 PMI read it as a kid. I can't remember much now but that I enjoyed it. I might read it to my son when he's a bit bigger.

I simplified the language a little bit where necessary (say, "red" rather than "crimson" or whatever), and hopped over a couple of short asides, but our wee fella followed it along grand. It's really nicely written, and I'd already revisited it in my 20s.

On the other hand, his granny gave him a copy of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe so we went through that too, couple of months ago, and I was shocked at how badly written it is, pretty much in every sense.

Might be an idea to try read something to my young lads again now that I've pretty much banned them from YouTube and the associated mind rot that comes with letting them have at that. Dunno if the hobbit would be the right start but maybe I'd enjoy it more myself that way too.

Mad the way some people would never read a book of any description. Actually I wonder if there's any correlation between never reading books at all and at the same time devoting one's life to one? Maybe not tbh.

Started into a thing about a lad that fell foul of the Russians a few years ago the other day but then I was heading to the jacks and the closest book was A Game of Thrones so now I've flitted on to a reread of that instead. Great writing in those first 3 or 4 books

Blazing through East, West by Salman Rushdie and it's so good. A short book of short stories so quite an easy read but jam packed with great ideas. The Auction of the Ruby Slippers stands out in particular so far for its prescience.

Just finished Anthony Kiedis' autobiography. Refreshingly open and honest, even about the grittiest and darkest parts of his life. Also one of those narrators who realizes what a cock they were and is trying to be humble and contrite about it, while completely self-unaware that they're still quite obviously a cock  :laugh: Excellent read though, couldn't put it down, some life he's had.