Quote from: Don Gately on December 07, 2023, 08:52:11 AMAny Pynchon fans here? Looking at reading some over the hols

I'd recommend starting with The Crying of Lot 49 to see if you like his style. It's a novella so it's not as daunting as some of his longer books. If you like that then give V and Gravity's Rainbow a go, they're both great books.

Richard O'Rawe - Stakeknife

Currently reading Hamlet. My Shakespeare is limited to Merchant of Venice and Macbeth which we did in school. Enjoying this. Check out the Hardcore Literature site/podcast with Benjamin McEvoy. Superb.

I have finally been struck down by Covid so I threw an order in for a couple of books which will hopefully arrive while I'm off work.

Goth by Lol Tolhurst and Prophet Song by Paul Lynch.

I am burning through The Dare by John Boyne this morning and enjoying it immensely. He has a real knack for paring his writing down to the bare essentials, and a gift for spinning a captivating yarn.

That Tolhurst one is on my list, as is his Cure book.

Always wondered about Boyne's stuff, didn't know where to start but sure I might just dive into that one.

#1506 December 18, 2023, 11:25:52 PM Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 11:28:59 PM by Eoin McLove
It's great stuff. I just finished up The Dare. Only took a couple of hours to get through. It's aimed at a young audience but his story telling is so good it will appeal across the board.

And now, The Crucible by Arthur Miller.

Just nabbed it there, sure we'll see how it goes.

Stuck it on my Amazon list too
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

The Crucible was a great little read. Maddening stuff  :laugh:

Read the following on my Covid week;

Joe Posnanski - "Why We Love Baseball" - brilliant (but only if you love baseball)
Bob Mortimer's "The Satsuma Complex" - good fun.
Stanley Tucci's autobiography "Taste" - grand.
Ted Kessler's "Paper Cuts: How I Destroyed the British Music Press and Other Misadventures" - excellent

My wife is burning through that Stanley Tucci book and loving it.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on December 20, 2023, 09:21:17 AMMy wife is burning through that Stanley Tucci book and loving it.

It's a light read, done in a few hours - one or two interesting recipes in it as well.

The Tooch does ignore some of the more Janus-headed parts of his life though. As most autobiographies do.

How so? I know nothing about his life.

#1514 December 20, 2023, 10:11:40 AM Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:16:15 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Eoin McLove on December 20, 2023, 09:58:38 AMHow so? I know nothing about his life.

He talks a lot about his family, being a good family man, his love for his first wife who passed away, his current wife and stuff like that. He never mentions the fact that he left his first wife for a year or two, not long after she gave birth to his kids, to shack up with Edie Falco.

Nor does he mention that his first wife was previously married to Alexander Scott - brother of Cameron Scott, both sons of George C.Scott. Her husband left her high and dry, broke and had to put her life back together with 2 kids who Tucci adopted.

Tucci co-directed "Big Night" with Cameron Scott - a year or two after Tucci had married his first wife who had been abandoned by Scott's brother. If Hollywood lore is to be believe - the bould Alexander would haunt the production like a spectre causing trouble.