Finished The Exorcist, still reading Requiem but needed a break from the bleakness so started Guerrilla Days in Ireland by Tom Barry which is a different form of bleak. Some of the accounts of the behaviour of the Tans and Auxiliaries would make your blood boil.

I see former Unearthly man Paul Lynch won the Booker. Fair play.

We're they an old Irish doom band?

Sorta Cynic/Death inspired stuff

#1489 November 27, 2023, 09:24:23 AM Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 09:33:26 AM by Eoin McLove
Ah cool. I'll keep an eye out for his novel.

Looks like Dymocks,  a major book chain over here, has a few of his novels in stock. I think I'll give him a shot.

I've read a few most recently Red Sky at morning. Which once you get through the Cormac Mccarthy inspired style is a great read. Black Snow is similar in style but Beyond the Sea eschews this style and is more contemporary.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on November 27, 2023, 08:43:12 AMI see former Unearthly man Paul Lynch won the Booker. Fair play.

Ha, didn't know that, pretty cool  :abbath:

Any links to Unearthly?

Reading Manufacturing Consent at the minute.

Tbf it's only confirming my previous thoughts about the nature of media in the old days but it's nice to have it presented as it is. Learning nothing new in principle but still shocked at the figures and case studies involved.

Thank god we've moved on from all that these days, with the Trusted Media Initiative and fact checking to the extent that we could only trust the framing of things to be presented exactly as things are without bias of any description.

Finished The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy a couple of weeks ago. Probably my least favourite of anything I've read by him so far. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't as captivating as earlier works. There were some really superb passages throughout, however. As expected.

Currently on The Count of Monte Cristo and I can't put it down. Have been at it for what seems like ages and I'm only about 20% of the way through it. (Unless there's a load of padding/discussions at the end, included in whatever version I nabbed).
Very well paced, compelling and simply a joy to read so far.

I read The Count of Monty Cristo a few years ago. Great old yarn.

I'm blazing through the new Ken Follett brick, The Armour of Light, and as ever with him it's great.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 29, 2023, 09:56:35 AMAny links to Unearthly?
No  weve had this discussion on here / MI once every few years

Let's keep the tradition alive so.

I picked up Paul Lynch's Beyond the Sea in the library today and I'm flying through it. Not bad at all.

Any Pynchon fans here? Looking at reading some over the hols

Quote from: Don Gately on December 07, 2023, 08:52:11 AMAny Pynchon fans here? Looking at reading some over the hols

I picked up Gravity's Rainbow a year or two ago based purely on the cool title. I haven't got to it yet but maybe I'll line it up next. Or next-ish...