Anyone use that Blinkist? Considering giving it a go.

Reading Stalingrad by Anthony Beever at the minute.

Crazy shit altogether

Great book. Any of his on the eastern front are solid. That one you're on reads like a novel.

Bang on it really does. Can't put the thing down at all!

Quote from: astfgyl on November 19, 2022, 07:59:26 PMReading Stalingrad by Anthony Beever at the minute.

Crazy shit altogether

I've had that and his Berlin book on my to-read shelf for ages. I need to get around to them.

Finished "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson. You can really fly through it. I've never had any drug experiences to speak of so perhaps I'm missing something but I've done/seen a lot of mad shit where booze was involved.

I re-watched the film at the weekend after finishing the book. I've always liked Gilliam's version - for the most part, it not without its flaw - but reading the text informing the viewing of the film much more.

Just finished (completed?, achieved?) The Brothers Karamazov, no lack of Beginning, Middle or End there anyway.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Is it worth the effort? I gave up on The Idiot and ploughed through to the end of Crime and Punishment. I thought C&P was good in places and tedious in others so I'm reluctant to dive into any more Dostoevsky any time soon.

Exactly like that, good in places, tedious in others, like a lot of classics it was written predominantly as a serial for newspapers as far as I know so you get all this unnecessary wordage, different style completely to nowadays obviously.
Is it worth it? Yes, I thought it was a decent read alright, loaded with moral  conundrums and philosophical quandrys, ..not that I totally 'got' all of them mind you, give it a go sure, if nothing  else you can assess, like Ted, if his sense of commitment waned towards the end 😋

I'll put it on my 'before I die' list.

Yeah, probably one for the pipe and slippers alright

Crime and Punishment is one of my favourite books. Must try the Brothers. Currently reading the Chancellor, book about Angela Merkel.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on November 19, 2022, 05:47:54 PMAnyone use that Blinkist? Considering giving it a go.

Never considered it but it's on special offer at €20 for a year. Heard an ad for it during a podcast.

Brothers Karamazov is one of my favourite books, certainly my favourite by Dostoevsky. I'd say you'd want to be sure you're reading the best translation going. I read it in French, like a cunt.

I just finished Bryan Cranstons autobiography which was a decent handy read. Some actor to be fair now. Started The Drug and other stories by Crowley last night which I've been meaning to read for awhile. There's a level of achievement involved getting through a stack of books that has built up over a year ha ha

I'm reading Laurence Rees one on Auschwitz there. History lite, but sure it can't be all 'Roy Jenkins on Churchill' :)

East of Eden is still stuck in my head, what an absolutely class book.