Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist

I picked up "Why the West Rules- For Now: The patterns of history and what they reveal about the future" by Ian Morris. Having listened to a few of his lectures recently and heard him interviewed I couldn't resist. He has a great way of communicating big ideas in a digestible way.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 23, 2022, 05:53:49 AMIs it worth the effort? I gave up on The Idiot and ploughed through to the end of Crime and Punishment. I thought C&P was good in places and tedious in others so I'm reluctant to dive into any more Dostoevsky any time soon.

I've read Dostoevsky in both English and Portuguese and it always seemed a bit more tedious in English. His books are a lot more about characterization than convoluted plots though.

I was recommended Mikhail Bulgakov's "The master and margarita" by one of my Russian students. According to him, the best Russian novel ever written, so I checked it online and it had great reviews...might be worth a try.

The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy arrived today. I have another book to get through first but how long will i be able to hold out...

Colin Barrett, Homesickness
Toni Morrisson, Beloved
George Orwell 1984

Christmas reading

Quote from: O Drighes on December 02, 2022, 07:07:01 AMI was recommended Mikhail Bulgakov's "The master and margarita" by one of my Russian students. According to him, the best Russian novel ever written, so I checked it online and it had great reviews...might be worth a try.

I've read a chunk of this but stopped only because the edition I had was terrible; footnotes with spoilers! What I read was class though, keep meaning to grab myself another version of it.

I couldn't resist cracking in to The Passenger, the new McCarthy one. Let's go!

Yesterday I finished reading Clarissa by Samuel Richardson it is hefty almost a million words long. I began reading it in September.

Currently reading This is Happiness by Niall Williams, first of his books that I've read, enjoying it so far.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 23, 2022, 05:53:49 AMIs it worth the effort? I gave up on The Idiot and ploughed through to the end of Crime and Punishment. I thought C&P was good in places and tedious in others so I'm reluctant to dive into any more Dostoevsky any time soon.

Recently got Demons or Devils if you prefer along with The Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot. After tackling Demons I'll leave the other too off for a while. It's great but a lot of work. Found myself having to note of the names of characters after they appeared.

#1224 December 24, 2022, 12:07:25 AM Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 12:09:04 AM by Eoin McLove
Ha, the most impossible book I've read in terms of confusing names is The Taming of the Shrew. In theory it's an easy little romp where three suitors pretend to be each other, but their names are all in some archaic form of Italian completely removed from any familiar touchstones, making it difficult to remember who is who in the first place, never mind when they are all pretending to be each other. I fucked that one at the wall after twenty pages or so  :laugh:

Quote from: Don Gately on December 23, 2022, 04:57:12 PMColin Barrett, Homesickness

Is that the Mayo lad? I read a short story collection by him a few years ago, t'was grand.

Yes Young Skins I'd say. I thought it was great.

That's the one. Good stuff, despite some of the dialogue not quite ringing true. I must look out for that one.

How Music Works by David Byrne. Just getting into it but it's an interesting perspective from the off. Making me feel like drawing out the oul modes and getting all medieval with em

#1229 December 30, 2022, 01:39:48 PM Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 02:18:25 PM by Caomhaoin
Reading Atomic Habits and Amsterdam (Ian McEwan) over the Christmas, both nice and handy.

Žižek's book on Lenin on the other hand. Lie down ya Slovenian gimp. I'd sooner be a turkey convinced that Dec 25th was me birthday.