Amsterdam is a cracker. First McEwan I ever read.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 01, 2023, 04:16:32 AMAmsterdam is a cracker. First McEwan I ever read.

I bought it almost solely going by your reviews of his books here. Where should I go after this one?

I was rereading bits of my auld fellas copy of Rory Gallagher over the holidays too. Bit of a cautionary tale not to be overstretching yourself because when the decline came, it came fast and it came hard for auld Roar.

Most of his stuff is worth a look but Nutshell, Machines Like Me and Enduring Love are particularly deadly.

I thought Saturday was a winner. What didn't you like?

Thought it's plot was just too unlikely, moved slowly, characters were not very engaging either.

#1236 January 02, 2023, 05:59:03 PM Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 08:14:39 PM by Thorn
Was that the house invasion one? If so, I thought it a decent read myself. Have nine Mc Ewan on the shelves so far after  Mc Love put me onto him a good while back
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Atonement is excellent

Quote from: Don Gately on January 02, 2023, 09:19:37 AMThought it's plot was just too unlikely, moved slowly, characters were not very engaging either.

Fair enough. I really enjoyed it. I re-read Solar recently having not really enjoyed it much when it came out and ended up loving it second time around. Sometimes it's the wrong time and place.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 23, 2022, 05:02:23 PM
Quote from: O Drighes on December 02, 2022, 07:07:01 AMI was recommended Mikhail Bulgakov's "The master and margarita" by one of my Russian students. According to him, the best Russian novel ever written, so I checked it online and it had great reviews...might be worth a try.

I've read a chunk of this but stopped only because the edition I had was terrible; footnotes with spoilers! What I read was class though, keep meaning to grab myself another version of it.

He died before finishing the book and his wife finished it based on the notes he had. Maybe that explain the footnotes. I got the book now, but haven't given it a go just yet.

Finished Count of Montecristo today. Good book. So many classics so little time.

Quote from: Pain Medicine on January 07, 2023, 07:40:58 PMFinished Count of Montecristo today. Good book. So many classics so little time.

Cool book. I read it myself recently.

Speaking of that, there's a two-movie adaptation of The Three Musketeers coming out later this year. Hoping it'll be deadly. It's French rather than Hollywood made, so that's a positive start anyway.

Savage. I love the 90s film version with Oliver Platt, Kiefer Sutherland etc. I have to pick up the book at some point.