Could be the same one I have, comes in a hardback slipcase?
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

This is just a hardback with a bright cover depicting a Cthulu smashing a ship. Shite dust cover design actually but the hardback itself looks great.

Quote from: Thorn on October 21, 2022, 10:07:41 AMCould be the same one I have, comes in a hardback slipcase?
is that the huge one that has all his work in it? That's the one I have and it is brilliant. A huge book so it is. His writing is A1

Yeah it's monstrous. "The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft" by Leslie S. Klinger is the one I picked up today.

Cixin Liu: The Three-Body Problem came through the letterbox yesterday, looking forward to getting into that. A mate read the trilogy recently and reckoned it was the best sci fi he's read. TV series on the way next year apparently.

Quote from: Necro Red on October 21, 2022, 11:15:07 AM
Quote from: Thorn on October 21, 2022, 10:07:41 AMCould be the same one I have, comes in a hardback slipcase?
is that the huge one that has all his work in it? That's the one I have and it is brilliant. A huge book so it is. His writing is A1

Yeah, I take it down, crack at it for a few days, then step back into the real world for a while, certainly couldn't attempt doing it front to back!
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Started into it this morning. I read Alan Moore's introduction and I'm on Klinger's introduction now. Getting a great insight into Lovecraft's influences. I'll be tipping through it for some time to come methinks  8)

Quote from: Thorn on October 21, 2022, 10:45:35 PM
Quote from: Necro Red on October 21, 2022, 11:15:07 AM

Yeah, I take it down, crack at it for a few days, then step back into the real world for a while, certainly couldn't attempt doing it front to back!
I'm a freak, I read the whole thing front to back. Brilliant so it is! I definitely see myself going back and reading the odd short story.

I can't get into Lovecraft at all.
I think his ideas and everything are excellent but the writing is too hard for me to get into.

Quote from: Carnage on October 21, 2022, 12:40:54 PMCixin Liu: The Three-Body Problem came through the letterbox yesterday, looking forward to getting into that. A mate read the trilogy recently and reckoned it was the best sci fi he's read. TV series on the way next year apparently.

This is on my list. Lauded to the high heavens by various academics in the cognitive science, psychology type spheres.

Speaking of which, and inspired by seeing Alan Moore's name in here too, I just read, in a single long sitting, a book called Unflattening by Nick Sousanis. It's a philosophy of perception, imagination, and self, but conceived to be presented in comic book form. Absolutely class, highly recommended.

Picked up "In Cold Blood" on a whim for something to read while away - I forgot/subconsciously avoided grabbing anything from the pile at home to get through.  Anyway it's great so far but I wouldn't normally be one for true crime novels.  The writing and flow of this is very good.

Quote from: blessed1 on October 22, 2022, 11:40:43 AMI can't get into Lovecraft at all.
I think his ideas and everything are excellent but the writing is too hard for me to get into.

He took me a while to properly get into, but once I did I absolutely loved it. Try starting with Herbert West: Reanimator, it's one of the more straightforward stories

I finished up River Out of Eden. Dawkins has such clarity in his writing. He can even make a dense cunt like me understand these big ideas.

And now on to The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli.

Quote from: ochoill on October 22, 2022, 02:56:17 PMPicked up "In Cold Blood" on a whim for something to read while away - I forgot/subconsciously avoided grabbing anything from the pile at home to get through.  Anyway it's great so far but I wouldn't normally be one for true crime novels.  The writing and flow of this is very good.
Great book

#1199 November 10, 2022, 11:19:34 AM Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:25:12 AM by StoutAndAle
Read the new Anthony Bourdain biography "Down & Out In Paradise" over the last two or three days.

Comes across as pretty much a hatchet-job on Bourdain. Reads like Charles Leershen, the author, has a bit of an axe to grind. At every point he takes low pot-shots at his subject including his cooking skills, his writing, his drinking, relationships with his ex-wives and daughter.

Spoiler
It also has a slightly odd and ghoulish vibe at points - he was able to access Bourdain's Google search history, his text messages and most oddly - he stayed in the room where AB ended his life (he includes a photo of what Bourdain's view would have been on that fateful night also...)
[close]

Nobody is perfect - especially not a man who spent the first 40 years of his life desparately scrabbling around New York City, addicted to heroin and working dead-end jobs - Bourdain says as much in his own books, "Kitchen Confidential" and "Medium Raw", but this new biography is definitely tabloid hack in nature.