"300 a year is 9,000 over the course of a 30 year career"

I've seen this calculation made before, but I don't get the point of it. It's not 300 assaults per garda per year, so multiplying by the length of an individual garda's career to create an otherwise random large number seems pointless/misleading...? Maybe I'm missing something.

over 30 years I suppose is 9000, not all to the same guy mind.
Unless he's really unlucky

Right, so since it's not all to the same guy, what is the sense of multiplying by one guy's career?

It's a shit job. 90% of your time is spent dealing with domestic disputes or scumbags and then  the paperwork aspect.

Why a Garda is at the front desk in garda stations is beyond me. They've started giving jobs in the last few years to non garda for admin roles. Ratchet that up and get the gardai out of the station.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 08, 2023, 03:49:54 PM"300 a year is 9,000 over the course of a 30 year career"

I've seen this calculation made before, but I don't get the point of it. It's not 300 assaults per garda per year, so multiplying by the length of an individual garda's career to create an otherwise random large number seems pointless/misleading...? Maybe I'm missing something.

It's about the cumulative risk over time and while not every Garda will experience an assault, those who do may face it multiple times especially those stationed in Dublin/other cities and are front line/new recruits. Draw back to the initial talking points in the post - under resourced - new recruits needed - numbers of the force not going up with the population, where are new recruits getting stationed - vast vast majority in Dublin/cities. The risk is concentrated and disproportionate. The likelihood of experiencing some form of assault is highly significant.

#380 December 08, 2023, 04:42:09 PM Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 04:45:41 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Okay, but that's not how likelihoods are calculated, and throwing out a figure like 9000 across a career is hardly likely to attract new candidates. 300 assaults with injury per year for 15000 gardaĆ­ is a 2% probability of injury per average garda per year. So, all other things being equal, an average garda has a ~60% chance of being victim to between 1 and 2 assaults with injury across their career. Which is already bad enough. The 9000 figure tells nothing.

Back of envelope calculations here, subject to correction if I'm bothered later :laugh:

I dunno why they don't just pay em right and attract a better quality to the force tbh. I'm not a fan in general a lot of the time but we need them and need the ones we have not to be shit as well. The cost of dealing with what they can't do has to be higher than what paying them right would be surely.

Then again we have schrodingers economy here, where depending on how one looks at it, we have no money for things or unlimited money for things.

Mad fuckin place. I'd run it better meself

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 08, 2023, 04:42:09 PMOkay, but that's not how likelihoods are calculated, and throwing out a figure like 9000 across a career is hardly likely to attract new candidates. 300 assaults with injury per year for 15000 gardaĆ­ is a 2% probability of injury per average garda per year. So, all other things being equal, an average garda has a ~60% chance of being victim to between 1 and 2 assaults with injury across their career. Which is already bad enough. The 9000 figure tells nothing.

Back of envelope calculations here, subject to correction if I'm bothered later :laugh:

But majority of new recruits are sent on the front line to Dublin so in reality the assault chance is way way higher. Not all 15000 are out answering calls or on the beat it's way way less of a number so not getting a full accurate % either way

Fully accurate aside you have a significantly better chance of getting a hiding than most other professions.

I still find it very difficult to feel any sympathy towards the cunts in general. I know some lads are sound but for an increasing number it's just uniformed thuggery they're after.

Had issues with them myself lately when one of the cunts was hitting my 15 year old son with a walkie talkie on the green outside my house. His crime? Running away from them after he and his pal went to look at the broken trucks in the scrapyard across the road.

Went down the station and tore fuckin strips off the super for over half an hour until they threw me out of the station. What I didn't fuckin say about how they direct their resources

As I said in the last post though, we do need them but we need them better as well as more numerous.

So what went down at the restaurant in Dublin? From what it seems the customers in the restaurant fought the gunman and fatally knifed him.

How can you have a gun, and lose a knife fight?

Gun jammed apparently. Stabbed 20 times after that, ouch.

Quote from: Snare on December 26, 2023, 06:36:34 PMGun jammed apparently. Stabbed 20 times after that, ouch.
Varg would be so proud

What was it, some gangland thing?

The hitmans ma has a go fund me looking for funeral expenses to be covered. Never mentions in the blurb that he was there to murder a couple of people and makes it out he was a good egg.