I liked IX Equilibrium when it came out, and I think it still has a few unreal songs, but the incredibly loud mix makes it a slog to sit through. Is it mastered badly or something? It even sounds too loud when you turn the volume down  :laugh:

The reissues I have are the abbey road half speed remasters so to my ears at least that loudness you speak of has been rectified. I always found Anthems to be muddy whereas the record sounds crystal clear , maybe part of the reason I'm enjoying it this time round

Pagan Saviour could you explain what difference the half speed mastering makes? I have a few versions of all of the Emperor albums already but was curious about those. Much of a difference?

High frequencies that are difficult to cut become mid frequencies at half speed improving the cut and sound of the finished vinyl

This video explains better than I could

https://www.yoursoundmatters.com/what-is-half-speed-mastering/

IX Equilibrium is absolutely brilliant.
I love how over the top bombastic it is.
To me it sounds like a band that couldn't give 2 fucks what people want or expect to hear.
I love it.

I'm relation to the others one day I prefer Anthems the next days it's Nightside Eclipse.
Prometheus is a hard one.

Regardless what transpires  this  could not move to vicar st.
That's Aiken territory whereas this is with MCD.

#80 February 25, 2023, 10:22:13 AM Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 10:23:53 AM by astfgyl
I worked backwards with Emperor, started with Prometheus and back to Nightside. They're all great in their own way but Prometheus is my favourite, probably followed by Anthems

Edit: given what venues are around, a second date sounds more likely than the 3 arena

Vicar Street is smaller than the Olympia. Nightside is the best for me but I have already heard everything from it live so would definitely prefer the Anthems show. I just hope they play Wrath of the Tyrant as well. Would really like to hear songs like Empty or the Eruption live but that will never happen.

I have the recent reissues as well they are very well done the only downside is they are very expensive.

Fingers crossed for Curse You All Men as an encore - I didn't get that when I saw them a few years back.

Can't see them adding any more dates regardless of what happens?

MickO))) Night of the Graveless souls gets a regular enough outing live. I love Prometheus but I think it marks the boundary of how far I would keep up with them. Isahn's solo stuff was the follow up to Prometheus and I can't abide it. I love all of the Emperor stuff but I'm glad they didn't make another album. I'd have ended up just as butthurt as I did with Midian.

100% Agree with that, I still think Prometheus is an excellent album but your phrase of marking the boundary is spot on, anything beyond that simply couldn't be classed as Emperor. They've protected their legacy by not releasing anything inferior and arguably they're in more demand than ever as a live act

I forgot about Night of the Graveless souls be great to hear that too the version on the Emperial live ceremony is phenomenal.

Quote from: hellfire on February 25, 2023, 11:11:19 AMMickO))) Night of the Graveless souls gets a regular enough outing live. I love Prometheus but I think it marks the boundary of how far I would keep up with them. Isahn's solo stuff was the follow up to Prometheus and I can't abide it. I love all of the Emperor stuff but I'm glad they didn't make another album. I'd have ended up just as butthurt as I did with Midian.

Agree about the solo stuff, it just doesn't keep me interested at all. Fair point about the boundary thing. It's like what happened to me with enslaved where I didn't even get all the way through the last couple

I haven't heard a single note of Prometheus. Maybe I'll give it a go at some point.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 25, 2023, 11:21:10 AMI haven't heard a single note of Prometheus. Maybe I'll give it a go at some point.

I love it but I'm very much in the minority of people who do.