Quote from: Pentagrimes on August 07, 2024, 10:58:15 AMSo yeah. Longlegs was good, first 2 acts in particular. The premise once its revealed is a little silly (though the twists were very well executed, didnt see them coming) and the last shot especially so but overall definitely a cut above most recent big budget horror. Cool soundtrack, some strong performances  and I like the gloom/dread it carries for the most part.

The Cage fatigue is kicking in though.

Know what you mean. He's such an individual actor, but it does kind of seem like we've seen his repertoire at this point. Longlegs is a cool character, but also is just made up of pieces of previous Cage characters.

I liked the film, though wouldn't really describe it as a horror, more a dark thriller. That cognitive dissonance affected things for me throughout given I was expecting a horror. Cool film though. The reviews for it all compare it to Silence of the Lambs, but I think Zodiac is a huge influence too.

Watched Furiosa there. As batshit crazy as you'd expect after Fury Road* but it dragged on a bit and the CGI was much more obvious/used more this time around. Worth a watch, if you enjoyed FR you'll like this. Impressive setpieces, but just don't expect the same pace.

*My fat fingers typed that as Fury Toad, and now I want to see that film more than anything.

CGI in Furious ruined it for me.
Not a patch on the genius and mayhem of Fury Road.

Quote from: Carnage on August 07, 2024, 10:00:58 PM*My fat fingers typed that as Fury Toad, and now I want to see that film more than anything.

Fury Toad vs Frogsword... whoever wins, we lose!

I knew the internet wouldn't let me down.

0MYLULM9QYuaT5vEqYe4EgzLcxUO8TO079AW7BppWt4.jpg

Just watched Furiousa last night myself. It's grand but not a patch on Fury Road. Chris Hemsworth is by far the stand out in it. May go back and watch the originals, don't think I've seen them since I was a young lad.

Quote from: Mooncat on August 07, 2024, 06:24:24 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on August 07, 2024, 10:58:15 AMSo yeah. Longlegs was good, first 2 acts in particular. The premise once its revealed is a little silly (though the twists were very well executed, didnt see them coming) and the last shot especially so but overall definitely a cut above most recent big budget horror. Cool soundtrack, some strong performances  and I like the gloom/dread it carries for the most part.

The Cage fatigue is kicking in though.

Know what you mean. He's such an individual actor, but it does kind of seem like we've seen his repertoire at this point. Longlegs is a cool character, but also is just made up of pieces of previous Cage characters.

I liked the film, though wouldn't really describe it as a horror, more a dark thriller. That cognitive dissonance affected things for me throughout given I was expecting a horror. Cool film though. The reviews for it all compare it to Silence of the Lambs, but I think Zodiac is a huge influence too.

I still think my favourite Cage turn of recent years is Prisoners of Ghostland, which is a pretty terrible film but the "TESTICUUUUUUULES" speech is hilarious.

Agree with you on Zodiac, or the Zodiac Killer definitely - the code is definitely a clear nod. I wonder is the SOTL ref just common because it's a female FBI agent at the centre? Either way, I'm still thinking about it. it's actually impressive that such an ultimately silly premise was pulled off with such gravity and tone. Must rewatch the other Osgood Perkins stuff, I remember it being quite good/.

Prisoners of Ghostland is one of the worst films I've seen. Not even because of Cage, it's just so so shit

Speed Racer

This was mentioned in a youtube video I was watching, recommended as an example of how "ugly" digital effects can nevertheless be used in highly creative ways. Loads of fun to watch anyway, will happily revisit with the young lad in a couple of years.

Les Tontons flingueurs

Cult French comedy from the 60s which I tried to watch years ago but just got lost in the dialogue (which it's famous for) and gave up. Narratively speaking it hasn't aged the best (though in a nice kind of naïve way) but now that I could understand it, the dialogue and its delivery more than compensates.

Watched Maxxxine there that night, thought it was good but didn't quite stick the landing at the end. Bonus points for Priest in the soundtrack though.

Quote from: ldj on August 12, 2024, 03:14:10 PMWatched Maxxxine there that night, thought it was good but didn't quite stick the landing at the end. Bonus points for Priest in the soundtrack though.

And Ratt too!

Could have been a bit stronger overall, but as pure 80s DePalma worship it ticked all the boxes for me.

"No Way Out" - '80s neo-noir thriller with Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman. An absolute blast from start to finish.

They don't make these sort of films much any more. Intelligent, snappy thrillers were ten-a-penny from 1970s to the 1990s.

If they do still make them - they're few and far between.

"Argo" comes to mind.

Watched Eraserhead for the first time last night. It's been on the list for literally years. One of those art house-y films where you never quite know what the fuck is going on, but I was enjoying it anyway. Love it when a director tries to do something really different, and a lot of the visuals and sound were really memorable. Lay in bed thinking about it for a good hour afterwards. I was able to pick out and follow the basic themes of parenthood and urban decay, but I still have no idea what the mumps lady was about. Escapism fantasy? Plus the whole eraserhead dream sequence, which I enjoyed immensely, but have no idea what it meant lol.

Good experience though! Like a weird, paranoid, awkward, nightmarish trip. Can't think of anything else I've seen even remotely like it, bar kinda sorta Tetsuo: Iron Man maybe?

Watched Alien: Covenant last night again to get me fired up for Romulus. It's better than I remember actually

Quote from: astfgyl on August 14, 2024, 09:26:17 PMWatched Alien: Covenant last night again to get me fired up for Romulus. It's better than I remember actually

Getting ok reviews so will go see it. I'm more looking forward to the alien tv series noah hawley has finished filming. Out next year. Set before prometheus