Quote from: Count Magnus on July 30, 2024, 03:31:03 PMI use it to read reviews of terrible movies I'm considering watching, like Shootfighter: Fight to the Death.

I watched Morbius drunk as shit while reading the pisstake Letterboxed reviews out loud.

I haven't seen Morbius, but I'm certain Shootfighter: Fight to the Death is more enjoyable as is Kickboxer 4: The Aggressor which I also watched recently.

Amazon Prime has a great selection of enjoyably shitty movies.

Yeah they're adding loads off Cannon films stuff recently.
Plex has a fair bit of schlock on it too. Fingers crossed Tubi launches here soon as it's meant to a a bit of a goldmine for horror & action movies.

Quote from: Count Magnus on July 31, 2024, 11:24:29 AMAmazon Prime has a great selection of enjoyably shitty movies.

There's a ton of good stuff (and B-grade classics) on Amazon - the problem is finding it. The search function is unreliable and shit.

"Enter The Clones Of Bruce" from 2023 just appeared on Amazon, it was only in the local arthouse cinema a month or so ago.

Really well worth a watch if anyone is a fan of the 70s/80s Kung Fu flicks from Shaw Brothers/Golden Harvest and if you were ever duped into renting a video because it had the names Bruce Li, Bruce Le, Bruce Liang and so on in the credits.

I spent more money on poor Vestron Video and MIHK titles than I would care to admit.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on July 31, 2024, 03:18:15 PM
Quote from: Count Magnus on July 31, 2024, 11:24:29 AMAmazon Prime has a great selection of enjoyably shitty movies.

There's a ton of good stuff (and B-grade classics) on Amazon - the problem is finding it. The search function is unreliable and shit.

It's a pain in the hole. What's also very annoying is movies that are no longer available still appear on your list. I have a rake of movies on my list, but a lot of the time when I try to watch one it's been removed.   

There's a to of good stuff as you said, like the Basket Case movies, a rake of giallo, and bonkers Cannon films.

#4490 August 01, 2024, 10:39:30 AM Last Edit: August 01, 2024, 10:48:30 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Count Magnus on August 01, 2024, 09:03:49 AMIt's a pain in the hole. What's also very annoying is movies that are no longer available still appear on your list. I have a rake of movies on my list, but a lot of the time when I try to watch one it's been removed.   

There's a to of good stuff as you said, like the Basket Case movies, a rake of giallo, and bonkers Cannon films.

That "This Title Is Not Currently Available" thing wrecks my head. Why are you fucking showing it to me so?!

Also - put... I dunno... Robert DeNiro into the search and you might get one or two films but then, a while later, you'll stumble across a dozen of them just lurking.

Also - why THE FUCK does it have movies listed with what they were called in France or Japan or wherever?! For example - Michael Mann's classic "Thief" is on Amazon but titled "Violent Streets".

Just imagine how frustrating it is searching for movies on Prime actually in France and the search function apparently not being capable of storing more than one title for a given piece of content. Absolutely head-wreckingly shite search function.

Switched on Amazon last night to watch a movie ("No Way Out") only to discover that the filthy cunts are now beginning to follow the Apple TV model.

What I mean by that is, to watch some of their library, you now have to pay an additional rental fee on top of the subscription! Ranges from €0.99 to €16.99.

Curiously - most of the movies on watchlist now fall into this additional fee bracket...

Re-watched "Punch Drunk Love" - hadn't seen it since it came out. Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favourite filmmakers but I felt that this one was a bit of a misfire.

I'm a fucking eejit, it is excellent. I nearly had a heart attack watched the Safdie Bros. stress-fest "Uncut Gems" - it's clear to see now where they got the pacing (and use of Sandler in a dramatic role) from.

Also watched "Rolling Thunder" - 70s revenge film but it's definitely classed up by the Paul Schrader/Heywood Gould script and great turns from William DeVane, Linda Haynes and Tommy Lee Jones.

That amazon prime thing with the rentals really fucking annoyed me as well.

Speaking of Punch Drunk Love, I watched a film a while ago about a young fella and one of the main plot points was that being his favourite film and nobody else understood

Watched "Shot Caller" on Netflix. Best film I've seen in a while. A violent prison film crossed with Sons of Anarchy street gang shenanigans.

Quote from: Blankety Blank on August 05, 2024, 01:53:01 PMWatched "Shot Caller" on Netflix. Best film I've seen in a while. A violent prison film crossed with Sons of Anarchy street gang shenanigans.

I watched "Shot Caller" a few weeks ago. Really enjoyable low budget but better than DTV thriller. Apparently Ric Roman Waugh had a test run for this movie 15 years previous with his film "Felon" (haven't seen it but it's also on Netflix) much like Michael Mann with "LA Takedown" and "Heat".

Seeing as you enjoyed "Shot Caller" - I would recommend "Den Of Thieves" to you. A high-end, low budget (by today's standards) heist thriller.

Over the weekend, continuing my films that (somehow) passed me by in the 90s series;

"Twister" - Great fun, bit cheesy with some OTT bad acting. Mad to see Philip Seymour Hoffmann in what would soon be the quintessential Jack Black role for the next several years.

"Ronin" - how I managed to not see this for so long is beyond me. It's fucking brilliant. Not just the car chases and action scenes but the dialogue (which I discovered subsequently was written by David Mamet under a pseudonym).

Also watched "Along Came Polly" which was alright for a bored bank holiday Monday watch. Oddly this one,again, with Philip Seymour Hoffmann in an unusually broad comedic role. One of the main plot points is lifted directly from a well known episode of "Friends" also starring Jennifer Aniston - how did that pass?

Shot Caller is really good, alright.

Den Of Thieves was great. Sequal in the works too... DOT: Pantera, so it gets some 'metal points' for the title   :laugh:

Ronin is superb. Top 3 De Niro's flick along with Heat and Taxi Driver.

I haven't seen Ronin in decades. I remember it being great.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on August 06, 2024, 10:27:19 AM
Quote from: Blankety Blank on August 05, 2024, 01:53:01 PMWatched "Shot Caller" on Netflix. Best film I've seen in a while. A violent prison film crossed with Sons of Anarchy street gang shenanigans.

I watched "Shot Caller" a few weeks ago. Really enjoyable low budget but better than DTV thriller. Apparently Ric Roman Waugh had a test run for this movie 15 years previous with his film "Felon" (haven't seen it but it's also on Netflix) much like Michael Mann with "LA Takedown" and "Heat".

Seeing as you enjoyed "Shot Caller" - I would recommend "Den Of Thieves" to you. A high-end, low budget (by today's standards) heist thriller.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on August 06, 2024, 10:27:19 AM"Twister" - Great fun, bit cheesy with some OTT bad acting. Mad to see Philip Seymour Hoffmann in what would soon be the quintessential Jack Black role for the next several years.

It's funny you mention this. I watched Almost Famous again recently and PSH as Lester Bangs really brings to mind High Fidelity Jack Black, especially the AF deleted scene where he's throwing records around the radio studio. I think both films came out in the same year.

So yeah. Longlegs was good, first 2 acts in particular. The premise once its revealed is a little silly (though the twists were very well executed, didnt see them coming) and the last shot especially so but overall definitely a cut above most recent big budget horror. Cool soundtrack, some strong performances  and I like the gloom/dread it carries for the most part.

The Cage fatigue is kicking in though.