I watched Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes (the titles are becoming more and more unwieldy, aren't they?) during the week. It's OK at best, some good ideas but plot threads disappear or are just dangled, pointless characters abound and there's a feel of déjà vu throughout. The CGI for the apes is fantastic, best it's ever been and the scenery gets the same treatment. There's an eagle that turns up now and then that looked a bit ropey to me though.

Worth a look but don't be in any rush.

Bit of a tangent but I suppose not really. Are there any genuinely unsettling horrors that have come out in the last decade? No gore being the main thing like if it happens it happens but is there anything without jump scares that gives the feeling of dread? For example I remember the first time seeing Poltergeist and the bit when she turns around and all the furniture is balanced up on the table, that gave me a good shiver. Anything with that sort of vibe but not the crap vibe that came with the rest of the film sort of thing going at all?

That Poltergeist scene is one of my favourites, genuinely unsettling. The last one I got the eerie feeling from might be The Witch, I wasn't sure what was coming at all. The Others is another one but that must be 20+ years old now.

#4458 July 18, 2024, 10:40:27 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 10:47:57 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Watched After Hours tonight, first time since stumbling upon it on telly one night in my teens. Cracking movie, so funny but with all the big screen flair of Scorsese at his best.

Edit: Watched this interview with Scorsese about it just after. Pretty interesting. If you're planning a rewatch of the movie, do that first though as there some clips and "spoilers" in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU8wx0rwkQw

I've never seen that, at a glance it has a great cast so should be worth a look.

I'd feel pretty sure you'll dig it.

#4461 July 18, 2024, 11:03:46 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 11:05:36 PM by astfgyl
Quote from: Carnage on July 18, 2024, 10:29:31 PMThat Poltergeist scene is one of my favourites, genuinely unsettling. The last one I got the eerie feeling from might be The Witch, I wasn't sure what was coming at all. The Others is another one but that must be 20+ years old now.

Was thinking about The Others as well when I was writing that post but I couldn't remember the name of it. That one gave me the willies for sure but there seems to be a dearth of similar buzzes in general and not just lately either

Edit: Haven't seen The Witch at all IIRC. If it has The Dread I'd be well up for it

In spots, nit to the extent of The Others. It was more the fact that it was an unknown quantity for me, no idea what was coming next as opposed to any build up or creeping dread type of set up. It's just really well put together as a film, and when The Things happen it throws you a bit. There were elements of that in some of Shyalaman's best and Ari Aster's too.

Quote from: astfgyl on July 18, 2024, 10:13:31 PMBit of a tangent but I suppose not really. Are there any genuinely unsettling horrors that have come out in the last decade? No gore being the main thing like if it happens it happens but is there anything without jump scares that gives the feeling of dread? For example I remember the first time seeing Poltergeist and the bit when she turns around and all the furniture is balanced up on the table, that gave me a good shiver. Anything with that sort of vibe but not the crap vibe that came with the rest of the film sort of thing going at all?

Hereditary is the best recent-ish one I can think of. Rec is a good 20yrs old now but is another good one. Skinnamarink kind of has that but it's very experimental. You'll either love it or think it's the worst film you've ever seen.

Also related, I saw a trailer for Nosferatu last night before Maxxxine. Holy shit it looks amazing. Same guy that did The Witch and The Lighthouse.

As for Maxxxine, really enjoyed it, but probably prefer X and Pearl. If you're into 80s pop culture and nostalgia at all though it's one of the best modern movies at nailing it.

The Client was on telly this evening. 30 years old this year And really feeling its years I think. It was so fucking corny.

...And Justice For All - 1979 courtroom drama vehicle for Al Pacino that fell fairly flat IMO. How he and the script each got nominated for Oscars I have no idea, it was poor across the board. TV melodrama level, with the probably most inappropriate quasi-disco score I've ever heard.

Threw Vice on tonight, just grabbing something to watch after herself fell asleep. Holy shit is it awful! Avoid.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 21, 2024, 01:25:59 AMThrew Vice on tonight, just grabbing something to watch after herself fell asleep. Holy shit is it awful! Avoid.

The Cheney movie? Yeah it's a bit of a chore to watch.

"The Bikeriders" - good enough. Grand for a Sunday afternoon. I had higher expectations for it given the positivity of a few of the reviews that I glanced at. Starts off at a ripping pace and kinda loses its way.

From the outset, it's obvious that Jeff Nichols watched "Goodfellas" a lot before making this film.

Tom Hardy and Jodie Comer are great in it. Austin Butler's agent must have told Nichols "no matter what - you don't harm the kid's face in this movie".

Watch it, you'll see what I mean.

The soundtrack is class but for a film set between 1967- 1973 - how could it not be?

The Secret of NIMH with the little lad yesterday. Holds up really well, animation is beautiful.