Quote from: Ollkiller on August 15, 2024, 09:05:16 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on August 14, 2024, 09:26:17 PMWatched Alien: Covenant last night again to get me fired up for Romulus. It's better than I remember actually

Getting ok reviews so will go see it. I'm more looking forward to the alien tv series noah hawley has finished filming. Out next year. Set before prometheus

I only heard that series mentioned the other day but nothing of the setting. Hopefully thats decent as well. All the Romulus reviews are saying it's good but could have been better but the ending is getting an awful hyping up so I'm fairly intrigued as to what that might be

Alien Romulus was great. The curse has been lifted after Ridley's last two attempts!

Shane. Quality old western. Don't think I had seen it before.

Legendary film, the last scene is heartbreaking.

Quote from: Sworntothecans on August 16, 2024, 05:13:34 PMAlien Romulus was great. The curse has been lifted after Ridley's last two attempts!

I'm mad to go to it tonight but it's the wedding anniversary and the wife is just not having it so out for dinner instead by the look of it. I'll be all over it tomorrow though. Tell on a bit, does it have the proper horror atmosphere I keep reading about?

Quote from: astfgyl on August 16, 2024, 08:33:57 PM
Quote from: Sworntothecans on August 16, 2024, 05:13:34 PMAlien Romulus was great. The curse has been lifted after Ridley's last two attempts!

I'm mad to go to it tonight but it's the wedding anniversary and the wife is just not having it so out for dinner instead by the look of it. I'll be all over it tomorrow though. Tell on a bit, does it have the proper horror atmosphere I keep reading about?

Yeah, set design, lighting, creature FX, sound editing are top notch. Alvarez did the homework on this one, and since it's set between the first two he knows the exact vibe that was needed.

Watched Twisters there. Same buzz as the first one, with social added media annoyance. Fairly predictable but good, mindless fun.

Quote from: Carnage on August 16, 2024, 11:38:45 PMWatched Twisters there. Same buzz as the first one, with social added media annoyance. Fairly predictable but good, mindless fun.

You see that in the cinema? Went to go to it the other day and it was gone out of the local.

No, dodgy box, perfect quality. Still in the local cinema here, 'til Wednesday. I had planned on going to see it as I saw the first one on the big screen and it's the kind of film that deserves a big screen, but as I've been feeling rough the last few days I just said fuck it.

Quote from: Carnage on August 16, 2024, 11:38:45 PMWatched Twisters there. Same buzz as the first one, with social added media annoyance. Fairly predictable but good, mindless fun.

I enjoyed the tornado effects, the rodeo scenes in particular but all the characters were awful annoying ballbags.

I tried watching it at home, turned it off halfway through, utter bollix, terrible acting, story, everything. I watched the original Twister for the first time about a month ago and its so much better than this new one

Last superhero film I watched was the last batman one and it was OK. Before that it was batman vs superman which was one of the worst possible films. I have zero interest in either the marvel or dc universes and they can all just do one afaic. Will watch the joker one when it's out but that's a bit different hopefully.

Just back from watching Alien: Romulus there. Thought it was pretty good as a sort of back to basics effort at one. Wasn't mad about most of the cast although the chap who played Andy got the best chance to show anything and was pretty good at it. I was also hoping for more deaths and carnage in general but I would watch it again and it's a very good addition to the series. First and second ones are unlikely to be surpassed really ever though tbf. The thing at the end was pretty stink as well I liked how that went.

Also unfortunately for me I had to bring five 9 and 10 year olds with me and they were shitting it and I had to keep telling them to keep their shit together but still overall it was good

Quote from: leoos on August 17, 2024, 04:34:52 PM
I tried watching it at home, turned it off halfway through, utter bollix, terrible acting, story, everything. I watched the original Twister for the first time about a month ago and its so much better than this new one

I have that lined up for this evening hopefully it's not all that bad but I have very low expectations of it. First one is still decent though saw it not too long ago

#4528 August 17, 2024, 09:30:28 PM Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 10:35:35 PM by Carnage
The first one is definitely better, it had the benefit of novelty and this one doesn't really bring anything new to the table. But that's what I was after last night so job done.

On a similar note: just finished A Quiet Place: Day One. More of the same really, but the novelty is long gone from the franchise. Still enjoyable but what the hell was Djimon Hounsou doing in it? Absolute waste of an actor, he had about 3 lines - and not because of the premise, he was in all of 2 scenes.

#4529 August 18, 2024, 11:51:11 AM Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 12:06:35 PM by Pagan Saviour
The Alien franchise is my favourite but Romulus is no classic. Not a shred of originality in it and the ending was piss poor,the endings in the first two are iconic for different reasons.
 Please don't say things like homework was done etc because there wasn't a hint of tension in the movie. All the characters were cardboard except the AI who was a shining light.

You could say research was done in the sense that it looked and felt like an alien movie.But all the best bits referenced the first two, even lifting lines directly from both. How about creating some new lines???

I'd equate this to Metallica releasing something Thrashy, it's giving the fans something familiar and something that reminds them of superior material so you'll get the "the best since justice" just the way you're getting "the best since aliens"

Overall Romulus is a C at best. A mildly entertaining but forgettable  romp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrSWKjwuhc