Dinner in America.

Thought I was going to hate this as the characters are insufferable for the first bit, but it actually manages to pull it together into a pleasant Napolian Dynamite-esque comedy.

I Saw the TV Glow

Started out interesting but had to turn it off because the lead actors voice actually was that insufferable.

Quote from: Sworntothecans on July 22, 2024, 10:24:25 AM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 21, 2024, 01:25:59 AMThrew Vice on tonight, just grabbing something to watch after herself fell asleep. Holy shit is it awful! Avoid.

The Cheney movie? Yeah it's a bit of a chore to watch.

Sorry, didn't see this, but yeah that one. Given the director, I guess you could describe it as a biopic where the style is pitched halfway between The Big Short and Anchorman. And it falls flat just as badly as it sounds like that would.

I enjoyed it, but can remember not a bit of it. That probably says it all, I suppose.

#4473 July 29, 2024, 03:56:16 PM Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 04:01:44 PM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: Mooncat on July 18, 2024, 11:36:58 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on July 18, 2024, 10:13:31 PMBit of a tangent but I suppose not really. Are there any genuinely unsettling horrors that have come out in the last decade? No gore being the main thing like if it happens it happens but is there anything without jump scares that gives the feeling of dread? For example I remember the first time seeing Poltergeist and the bit when she turns around and all the furniture is balanced up on the table, that gave me a good shiver. Anything with that sort of vibe but not the crap vibe that came with the rest of the film sort of thing going at all?

Hereditary is the best recent-ish one I can think of. Rec is a good 20yrs old now but is another good one. Skinnamarink kind of has that but it's very experimental. You'll either love it or think it's the worst film you've ever seen.

Also related, I saw a trailer for Nosferatu last night before Maxxxine. Holy shit it looks amazing. Same guy that did The Witch and The Lighthouse.

As for Maxxxine, really enjoyed it, but probably prefer X and Pearl. If you're into 80s pop culture and nostalgia at all though it's one of the best modern movies at nailing it.

Highly recommend Skinamarink. Best horror film since Martyrs for me. I have very specific taste in horror but found it enormously unsettling, still do after multiple viewings. But yes, very much an acquired taste, completely nonlinear and requires a load of patience. Watch in the dark without distraction I'd say.

Hereditary is overhyped I reckon,  the last act is fucking ridiculous.

Will check that one out. I was underwhelmed by Hereditary myself too.

Found the end of hereditary awful rushed.

Seen Longlegs at the weekend, I actually enjoyed it despite me seeing it get lashed online. Great marketing campaign on the lead up but sort of set it up as something it's not. I don't know if I had low expectations going in but thought it was a fun watch with some cool scenes. I understand peoples issue with it but I reckon it's definitely worth checking out. It's not scary and big silence of the lambs feel to it at parts (in a Nicolas cage kind of way). I gave it 3.5 on letterboxd if that means anything.

Quote from: Ollkiller on July 29, 2024, 04:35:45 PMFound the end of hereditary awful rushed.

Exactly. It would be a decent film but it goes very stupid very quickly in that section. Midsomar has the opposite problem, not rushed enough. Don't like his films or this "elevated horror" shit at all

Seeing as Mithrandir mentioned letterboxd, anyone else here use it?

Letterboxed is great for keeping track of what I've watched for sure.

And can he hilarious for going down the rabbit hole with some of the daft takes that some folks have about movies in the reviews.

I use it to keep track of things mostly,  I'm destroyedhuman on there if any other forum heads are using it

I use it to read reviews of terrible movies I'm considering watching, like Shootfighter: Fight to the Death.

Watched a few minutes of Skinamarink last night but the young fellas were ruining it on me straight away asking why is it like that etc. I thought it was creepy from the off and quite inventive with no budget. I'll definitely come back to it.

Ended up watching a new one with Tom Sizemore in it on Prime, can't remember the name of it but I fell asleep towards the end and probably won't go back to it. Was a sort of American civil war themed horror thing

#4482 July 30, 2024, 09:33:11 PM Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 09:58:42 PM by Mooncat
Skinamarink is filmed in Edmonton (where I live) so it's interesting seeing the house it's set in as it's all so familiar. A lot of the fixtures, carpeting etc are the same or similar to those in my own place (perhaps the same rental company owns both places). It was interesting going to see it in the cinema and being so immersed in its atmosphere, then coming home and lying in bed that night and having everything look so similar in the dark!

(I guess to add context to that, you ever see when you're at home in the dark and you're unsettled? Like you've just woken up from a scary dream, or heard some weird noise and you're just staring into the darkness and vague shapes and imagination with all your senses on red alert, afraid? Skinamarink is basically the film version of that).

Yeah that was the vibe I was getting off it. I'll definitely come back and watch it on my own

Yes absolutely nailed it Mooncat. Its like cctv footage from inside my brain during a sleep paralysis episode.