Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 23, 2024, 11:38:21 PMThe Zone of Interest is cognitively intense. Nothing to compare it to comes to mind.
The current state of the world,perhaps?

Indeed. As I described it elsewhere, definitely a film for our times.

I wasn't expecting it to be about male lesbians cancelling metal gigs  ???

2 threads is enough Grandpa Simpson, don't derail this one. We get it.

I can't help myself. I am curious about that film and, in fact, there have been a few films over the past year or so that have really piqued my interest. I used to watch loads of films and kind of got burnt out, possibly in large part due to the Netflix effect. My issue now is actually finding the free time to actually watch anything. The Zone of Interest is showing nearby so I might try and get the little dude looked after and myself and herself spin over for a watch. We haven't even had Netflix for the past year, and I think that has been positive in terms of renewing my interest. 

Really want to see that but of course it's not on in town, might have to travel.

On the plus side, the 2021 Dune is getting a reshow tonight in the run up to Part 2. I missed it on the big screen so might wander in to that later.

Nice. Watched part 1 again last night and heading to see part 2 in about 20 minutes. Spicy fizzy balls!  :D  :abbath:

Watched A Million Ways to Die in the West today very funny movie :]

:sniffles:
Turntables go eeeeeera era era

I tried Dune a few weeks back, maybe I just wasn't in the mood but I just wasn't into it at all, ended up switching it off after an hour or so.

Watched Anatomy of a Fall last night, really good film, same actress as The Zone of Interest.

Also really enjoyed The Holdovers last week so going to check out Sideways tonight, same director with Paul Giamatti starring.

Have to say it's been a really good time for film the last year, really top class stuff coming out regularly.

First viewing of Dune Part 1 it was the differences compared to David Lynch's Dune that prevented me fully getting into it, but I went on to love it from the second viewing onward. First viewing of Part 2 today, it was (some fairly consequential) differences with the book that blocked me a fair bit. So guess I'll be needing a second viewing of this too before I can judge it fairly on its own merits.

Quote from: ldj on February 29, 2024, 07:33:14 PMI tried Dune a few weeks back, maybe I just wasn't in the mood but I just wasn't into it at all, ended up switching it off after an hour or so.

Watched Anatomy of a Fall last night, really good film, same actress as The Zone of Interest.

Also really enjoyed The Holdovers last week so going to check out Sideways tonight, same director with Paul Giamatti starring.

Have to say it's been a really good time for film the last year, really top class stuff coming out regularly.

Sideways is one of my favorites. Really, really funny yet poignant and heartfelt.

#4061 March 01, 2024, 01:22:30 AM Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 01:09:18 AM by Carnage
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 29, 2024, 12:15:03 PMNice. Watched part 1 again last night and heading to see part 2 in about 20 minutes. Spicy fizzy balls!  :D  :abbath:

Part 1 was great on the big screen, not quite as immersive as I'd expected (compared to Blade Runner 2049 for instance) but that was a first viewing and I've seen Dune 6 or 7 times by now.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 29, 2024, 10:53:59 PM
Quote from: ldj on February 29, 2024, 07:33:14 PMI tried Dune a few weeks back, maybe I just wasn't in the mood but I just wasn't into it at all, ended up switching it off after an hour or so.

Sideways is one of my favorites. Really, really funny yet poignant and heartfelt.

Had Sideways on dvd years ago and the two lads' commentary was fucking hilarious in parts

Yeah the commentary is as good as the film. A classic all round.

Watched a few this week.

Breaker Morant (1980, Australia)

Kind of a mix of a war and courtroom drama set during the Boer War. Doesn't lionise either side or even question whether the boys were naughty and shooting Boer prisoners out of hand, rather how normal people behave in war. Riveting film, and a minor role for a fresh faced Alf Stewart.

After Hours (1985, USA)

Thought I'd seen all Scorcese's ones. Hard to imagine having that bad of a night and not a drop of alcohol. Great show.

Boy A (2007, UK)

Typical gritty Peter Mullan stuff. I imagine not all child murderers are quite as innocent and likeable as the lad in this :/