Watched I, Daniel Blake tonight. Fairly different critique of privatisation of public services to Robocop  :laugh:  Joking aside, excellent movie. Ken Loach, nowt more to be said.

Loved it, very moving in spots too.

Really enjoyed The Iron Claw.

The Zone of Interest is cognitively intense. Nothing to compare it to comes to mind.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 23, 2024, 11:38:21 PMThe Zone of Interest is cognitively intense. Nothing to compare it to comes to mind.

It's very good, sound design in the cinema was immense.

I'd say so! Would love to add a 5.1 set up to the projector. Then sound-proof the sitting room  :laugh:

#4041 February 24, 2024, 11:44:50 AM Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 01:34:11 PM by Eoin McLove
I looked at The Banshee of Innisherin just now. I enjoyed it, however it made me think what a crime it is that the Aran Islands haven't produced any epic pagan black metal bands. A waste of a good landscape  :P

Followed that up with The Menu. I thought it was fun.

Watched The Holdovers yesterday. All very predictable and nothing new but an enjoyable little jaunt.

Started The Zone of Interest but we jumped ship early on. I'll watch it on my own soon.

It's worth it. I've a few days on me tod next week so if I can still find a screen showing it round these parts I may head along for the full disquieting experience.

#4044 February 24, 2024, 11:21:35 PM Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 02:32:12 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Watched All Of Us Strangers tonight. Might now be the best queer film I've seen, alongside maybe an Almodovar or two. The two lead performances are genuine masterclasses.

Still showing here so I may do that.

Zone of Interest definitely one for the cinema/big sound system. One of the best uses of sound I think.

Really liked the Holdovers, would be a fan of Paul Giamatti alright.

Free State of Jones (2016) last night, Gary Ross (Hunger Games) directs Matthew McConnaughey and Mahershala Ali in a US civil war drama. Interesting story, well acted, but overall a fairly poor movie. Glory (1989) was much better. Taking suggestions on any other films set in that period which folk may have enjoyed.

Also watched Rain Man the other night, which I hadn't seen since I was literally a kid. Wasn't expecting it to hold it up, so was pleasantly surprised when it (more or less) did. A good one when you want an easy but not totally vapid watch.

#4048 February 28, 2024, 04:19:33 PM Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 04:49:33 PM by Mooncat
Triangle of Sadness - Really enjoyed it! Was fun the way it skewered everything, and the middle section had an anarchic, chaotic, almost Fear and Loathing type of energy.

Saltburn - Was honestly kinda bored most of the way through. Barry Keoghan seems to be one of the 'it' actors among film bro types these days, but I haven't really liked him in anything so far.
Seems very of its time: all style over substance. At times it seemed like it was building up to be something more interesting than it ever was. Still a decent watch though. I'm open to anything that's not a sequel/franchise/reboot/superhero film these days. Not that I'm not open to those either, but it's been so done to death now. It's been like the 80s on steroids for over a decade now (tangential rant).
Also thought the big reveal at the end made it worse.

Finally got around to watching the new Mission Impossible film there, good craic. The humour was a bit forced, the CGI use was very visible in places and the score was overbearing but it was more enjoyable overall than the last couple IMO.