Breaker Morant is great, I only saw it for the first time a few years ago. Without giving the ending away, it had a fantastic final line, too.

Been on a Peter Strickland buzz recently, going through the catalogue as the postie has recently delivered Flux Gourmet. The missus is not having it at all but the guy has a definite spark, a cunt with intriguing vision

Quote from: Bürggermeister on March 02, 2024, 06:33:45 PMBeen on a Peter Strickland buzz recently, going through the catalogue as the postie has recently delivered Flux Gourmet. The missus is not having it at all but the guy has a definite spark, a cunt with intriguing vision

Berberian Sound Studio is great. Really enjoyed In Fabric, as mad as it was.

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on March 02, 2024, 09:49:07 PMBerberian Sound Studio is great.

It really is. Don't think I've seen anything else by him.

Love this thread, lots of great recommendations coming from here.

Zone of Interest is outstanding. Extremely heavy, fantastic sustained dread throughout. One of the best films I've seen in a while for sure. "Enjoyed" doesn't really cover it though, more it's an important piece of art.

Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on March 03, 2024, 10:40:28 PMLove this thread, lots of great recommendations coming from here.

Zone of Interest is outstanding. Extremely heavy, fantastic sustained dread throughout. One of the best films I've seen in a while for sure. "Enjoyed" doesn't really cover it though, more it's an important piece of art.

Did you see it in the cinema? The sound and big screen/lights off really made it even more astounding. The last scene was brilliant.

Went to Dune over the weekend, decent enough although felt very stretched out at nearly three hours. There was a few bits that weren't properly explained, but made sense if you read the book, so a few of the people I went with got a bit confused as to what was going on

Hoping they continue with the series though, or at least finish the Paul Atreides arc

Quote from: Trev on March 04, 2024, 10:56:34 AMWent to Dune over the weekend, decent enough although felt very stretched out at nearly three hours. There was a few bits that weren't properly explained, but made sense if you read the book, so a few of the people I went with got a bit confused as to what was going on

Hoping they continue with the series though, or at least finish the Paul Atreides arc

Yeah I'd have to agree will pretty much everything you've said there, If I hadn't seen it on the big screen for the spectacle I would have found it dragging on a bit...

The Zone Of Interest - Jesus that was intense. The sound element is amazing, adds to the utter oppressiveness of the whole exercise. The apathy in the face of atrocity never ends, truly chilling. Kind of glad I watched it at home, I can imagine it being overwhelming in a cinema setting. One to think about for a while.

(One thing that distracted me every time I noticed it: Höss' wife's walk, she fairly stomped around the place. A minor thing in the context of the film but I couldn't help but wonder if it had some sigmificance to the character...)

The King of Comedy. Dated but decent.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on March 06, 2024, 09:27:06 AMThe King of Comedy. Dated but decent.

I thought just decent too. I wanted to like it more because it was Scorsese but it's just not one of his best. Amazing how much Joker ripped it off though...

Quote from: open face surgery on February 15, 2024, 06:03:51 PM
Quote from: ldj on February 15, 2024, 04:01:34 PMPoor Things.

Went to see this last night, fucking weird film but really good, great acting too.

Thought is was savage. Went in completely blind and loved it. With that, had no idea it was the guy that did Dogtooth and The Lobster. Watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer and The Favourite yesterday both of which I massively enjoyed. The former even has me reconsidering my opinion of Keoghan.

Watched Poor Things tonight. Very unusual film. Definitely will watch again sooner rather than later. I must give Sacred Deer another go too; it's the only previous film of his that also didn't immediately fully click with me.

Lobster and Sacred Deer were awful I thought. Colin Farrell on robot mode.

I enjoyed the oddness of the way he played it in both.

I may revisit them and see if they make more sense.