Speaking of Colin Farrell, watched Intermission the other week, amazing craic. Was in stitches when they go to the club to touch for the older women. Colm Meaney is great too as an absolute plank of a cop. I'm not the biggest Cillian Murphy fan but I liked him in this.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 07, 2024, 10:14:42 PM
Quote from: open face surgery on February 15, 2024, 06:03:51 PM
Quote from: ldj on February 15, 2024, 04:01:34 PMPoor Things.

Went to see this last night, fucking weird film but really good, great acting too.

Thought is was savage. Went in completely blind and loved it. With that, had no idea it was the guy that did Dogtooth and The Lobster. Watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer and The Favourite yesterday both of which I massively enjoyed. The former even has me reconsidering my opinion of Keoghan.

Watched Poor Things tonight. Very unusual film. Definitely will watch again sooner rather than later. I must give Sacred Deer another go too; it's the only previous film of his that also didn't immediately fully click with me.
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 07, 2024, 10:14:42 PM
Quote from: open face surgery on February 15, 2024, 06:03:51 PM
Quote from: ldj on February 15, 2024, 04:01:34 PMPoor Things.

Went to see this last night, fucking weird film but really good, great acting too.

Thought is was savage. Went in completely blind and loved it. With that, had no idea it was the guy that did Dogtooth and The Lobster. Watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer and The Favourite yesterday both of which I massively enjoyed. The former even has me reconsidering my opinion of Keoghan.

Watched Poor Things tonight. Very unusual film. Definitely will watch again sooner rather than later. I must give Sacred Deer another go too; it's the only previous film of his that also didn't immediately fully click with me.

Loved Poor Things. Ruffalo is particularly hilarious.

Quote from: Mooncat on March 08, 2024, 01:10:28 AMSpeaking of Colin Farrell, watched Intermission the other week, amazing craic. Was in stitches when they go to the club to touch for the older women. Colm Meaney is great too as an absolute plank of a cop. I'm not the biggest Cillian Murphy fan but I liked him in this.

That is my favourite Colm Meaney performance along with 'the van'.

'Where's your sister? Would she give me a ridin''?

'She might'

'The hooooer' 😂

#4083 March 09, 2024, 10:36:30 AM Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 10:38:14 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
American Fiction is, as some of ye say, pure grand. Some quality parts, central idea is good, but lots of pretty boring stretches too. Its ambition overshoots its execution by a fair bit, but it'd make for a decent mid-week watch. The references to 90s hood movies are fun.

Got around to a long overdue re-watch of Sideways last night. Cracked open a 2016 Saint Emilion (didn't have any Pinot!), cheese platter, an aul schmoke, and we'd a rare aul time of it. What a quality movie. Clicked with me while watching that it has the absolutely perfect pacing throughout which American Fiction lacked in. Also has some of the best movie jokes going. Interesting too to watch it now at a stage where, personally, I'm well out the other end of getting black-out/public liability drunk, as opposed to when I saw it last and that was just any average weekend  :-X

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 10, 2024, 09:34:37 AMGot around to a long overdue re-watch of Sideways last night. Cracked open a 2016 Saint Emilion (didn't have any Pinot!), cheese platter, an aul schmoke, and we'd a rare aul time of it. What a quality movie. Clicked with me while watching that it has the absolutely perfect pacing throughout which American Fiction lacked in. Also has some of the best movie jokes going. Interesting too to watch it now at a stage where, personally, I'm well out the other end of getting black-out/public liability drunk, as opposed to when I saw it last and that was just any average weekend  :-X

Spot on. Just sat down to watch after hearing the French dog barking and enjoyed it tremendously. We've all felt the way Mikes feels and acts at times, just with fewer miles on the clock. The way it made me squirm in my seat when he rings the ex steamboats shows the quality of the direction and acting.

Watched it with a glass of water and a few digestives rather than wine, we're not fancy here.

Don't know what I expected exactly, but Anatomy of a Fall was much better than I thought it would be. What a great year for films!

Just watched Poor Things. Acting was phenomenal across the board. Wished there was more of Mark Ruffalo in lothario cad mode. I'm not a fan of twee quirky (IE Wes Anderson), but this one pulled it off to a tolerable amount. Delighted with how many genuinely cool, original films are starting to come out over the past year or so.

Also rewatched Bad Taste, which is a drinking night-in classic for me. (Spoiler) Always thought the title was a reference to the way the humour and gore was in such bad taste, but only just realized it's also a reference to the aliens turning the humans into fast food as well. Only took about 25years to cop on since I first saw it...

Finally got around to Napoleon tonight. It was OK, kind of hard to take him seriously when you've seen the ineffectual rutting a couple of times, and despite the absolute po-faced tone with very little let up. Though they couldn't resist having a little dig about his height (he was actually of or of above average height for the time). Rod Steiger did a better job more than 50 years ago IMO. Still, it's worth a watch.

Also worth a look: Greyhound. Tom Hanks captaining a destroyer leading a shipping convoy across the Atlantic during WW2. Generally not a Hanks fan but he was fine in this. It's all Navy jargon over character but it passed 90 minutes nicely.

Watched Dune: Part One. Enjoyable. Might go and watch the Part Two in the cinema. Is it just the 2 parts?

There'll be a third and final in a couple of years.

Yep. He wants to make a trilogy and the second one's doing well at the box office, guaranteed to follow it up.

I would probably like Dune but couldn't be arsed either. The two leads irritate me too.

Chalamet and Zendaya? She's not really a lead tbh

I went to see Dune 2 on Sunday there.
I really enjoyed it. The love story element maybe got a bit too much time. Look forward to the next one now.