Quote from: jobrok1 on January 17, 2024, 11:25:30 AMEliza Dushku in her Buffy and Dollhouse days was some lash 

Stop, she was unreal. She still looks well these days, but a bit skinnier.

Wee Eliza was smokin'. Which reminds of of the similar era, similar named Elisha Cuthbert. Holy fuck she was something else back in the day.

#3917 January 17, 2024, 07:41:00 PM Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 07:43:32 PM by leatherface
Been picking up some old DVDs recently second hand and got three David Lynch movies for less than 3€:

Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
Dune

Have never watched 'Dune', is it any good? internet says 'no'.

The other aformentioned two I love, but would also like to get 'Lost Highway' or 'Fire Walk With me' at some point (saw both in the cinema YEARS ago).

Dune is good craic. Ridiculous, but good craic

Dune is one of the three David Lynch films I find watchable. It's '80s po-faced pomp at its finest and, as my learned colleague has said, utterly ridiculous but it's immensely enjoyable. There's a fantastic fan-compiled 'special edition' that's my go-to version these days:

https://youtu.be/faHQA_0d9Mo?si=UFL8PBWN3FjyifIx

Ad free, too.

Just after throwing that on the projector screen here after reading the description. Only hooked up the thing to a sub as well so it's pure cinema out buzz. Top notch can't wait

It's mighty. By necessity the picture quality dips slightly for the 'bonus' scenes, but it's suitably epic and holds together well. Best seen having read the book, I reckon. A grand way to spend three hours of a Sunday evening.

Any of you see Braveheart? I'm going to watch it tomorrow never seen it before :]

:sniffles:
Turntables go eeeeeera era era

Quote from: Carnage on January 17, 2024, 09:40:13 PMDune is one of the three David Lynch films I find watchable. It's '80s po-faced pomp at its finest and, as my learned colleague has said, utterly ridiculous but it's immensely enjoyable. There's a fantastic fan-compiled 'special edition' that's my go-to version these days:

Ad free, too.

Having investigated I see that there are so many versions of 'Dune', will start with the Lynch version and move on from there. He even wrote a sequel to it but didn't get made.

Quote from: Carnage on January 17, 2024, 09:40:13 PMThere's a fantastic fan-compiled 'special edition' that's my go-to version these days:

Ad free, too.

Can confirm this is prob the best version out there.

The 2000s TV version isn't the best. Sci Fi Channel made it if I'm not mistaken, decent cast but ruined by a low budget and poor effects.

#3926 January 18, 2024, 04:24:24 PM Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 07:00:44 PM by Mooncat
Quote from: astfgyl on January 17, 2024, 11:15:54 PMJust after throwing that on the projector screen here after reading the description. Only hooked up the thing to a sub as well so it's pure cinema out buzz. Top notch can't wait

I've got a projector too, great craic to have the cinema vibe at home.

Found out about this one weird trend online; if you look up something like "fake window" or "fake window projector" on YouTube, it's people who have filmed their own window (or a hotel window) for a few hours. The idea is you close your own blinds and then project this fake window onto your wall and pretend you're somewhere else. Sounds daft, but it can be wild relaxing depending on whether there's a waterfall, a stream, rain, etc outside. Or a nice high up New York window where you can hear the faint sounds of the traffic and city below.

Quote from: Mooncat on January 18, 2024, 04:24:24 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on January 17, 2024, 11:15:54 PMJust after throwing that on the projector screen here after reading the description. Only hooked up the thing to a sub as well so it's pure cinema out buzz. Top notch can't wait

I've got a projector too, great craic to have the cinema vibe at home.

Found out about this one weird trend online; if you look up something like "fake window" or "fake window projector" on YouTube, it's people who have filmed their own window (or a hotel window) for a few hours. The idea is you close your own blinds and then project this fake window onto your wall and pretend you're somewhere else. Sounds daft, but it can be wild relaxing depending on whether there's a waterfall, a stream, rain, etc outside. Or a nice high up New York window where you can hear the faint sounds of the traffic and city below.

Anyways, back on topic!

Must give it a go and see if I can convince myself I'm not in tipp!

Did see a company selling screens like that for apartments and hotel rooms lately now you mention it

Quote from: Carnage on January 17, 2024, 11:33:41 PMIt's mighty. By necessity the picture quality dips slightly for the 'bonus' scenes, but it's suitably epic and holds together well. Best seen having read the book, I reckon. A grand way to spend three hours of a Sunday evening.

That is definitely the way to go with that film. Absolutely loved it. Will be the definitive for me now I couldn't go back

After posting that I said I'd stick it on for an hour and finish it today. 3 hours later I fell up the stairs wrecked. Great viewing altogether. A lot more exposition that the standard version but given the complexity of the story, that's no harm at all.