I watched The New Boy by Warrick Thompson this evening. Beautifully shot no doubt about that, but it moved way too slowly and it couldn't hold my attention. There's a lot of hoo ha online about all the brilliant acting but there's so little dialogue anywhere in the film I found it hard to see what was so exceptional about any of the performances. It really does look beautiful but that's about the height of it.

Watched 'Boy' a NZ Maori film, pretty good acting from the kids in it

Saltburn is not a good film.

What is a good film is A Christmas Story. Decided yesterday to squeeze in a last seasonal flick before back to school today so put on this supposed classic which I'd never seen. Solidly funny family movie, will def be watched over future Christmases too.

Talk to Me. Teens commune with dead spirits and let them briefly possess them. Done in party settings though with all the other teens dumbly watching and filming for YouTube like it's a game. Was actually pretty enjoyable. Wasn't super scary, but was a pretty original take on a horror film and I enjoyed it throughout. Yet another horror with a trauma angle though, clearly the horror zeitgeist of about the last decade now! Hard to beat Midsommar and Hereditary on that front.

Thought it was muck.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 07, 2024, 11:12:50 PMSaltburn is not a good film.

I watched it last night. It's not as good as some people say but it's not as bad as others have mentioned either.

It's alright like but if you've seen films like "The Ruling Class", "La Règle Du Jeu", "Festen" and "Six Degrees Of Separation" then your mind is not going to be blown.

If I had to sum up the story, I'd say it's like Catcher in the Rye meets The Great Gatsby, set in Britain. But the cinematic execution of it falls totally flat, despite good performances. Was very surprised to find out it's the same director as Promising Young Woman, which was much better as a film.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 10, 2024, 09:51:27 AMIf I had to sum up the story, I'd say it's like Catcher in the Rye meets The Great Gatsby, set in Britain. But the cinematic execution of it falls totally flat, despite good performances. Was very surprised to find out it's the same director as Promising Young Woman, which was much better as a film.

There are some marvellous quips in it - mainly from Rosamund Pike.

The 4:3 aspect thing got a bit annoying after a while. I thought to myself "I get it, now pull wide."

It's not an homage to expressionism and it's not framed anywhere near as tightly as a Wes Anderson film so what's the point? Wankery?

Keoghan's Merseyside accent is all over the shop too.

Both Inbetweeners films. Great craic. Especially with being away from home it's a great nostalgia trip all the banter they have mercilessly taking the piss out of each other. Very much enjoyed with a couple of drinks.

Watched A New World Order last night. Thing with no dialogue about robots destroying humanity. Wasn't the worst but like so many other things these days the ending was a bit flat

Captain Phillips on d'telly  8)

Watched the last Indiana Jones again last night with herself, who hadn't seen it. I stand by it as a great action movie, and she agrees.

The new Indy flick.
Didn't think much of it myself, tbh.

What's your guys favorite Irish movies? Mine is probably Maze or Wind that Shakes the Barely. I have The Quite Man and The Field on my watch list too they're both free to watch on YouTube so I'm excited to watch them! :]

:sniffles:
Turntables go eeeeeera era era