After watching The Firm been on a bit of a Brit hooligan kick. Football Factory, Rise of the Footsoldier (plus sequels) and The Business. Which then tangented into Human Traffic and Trainspotting. Fun week!

Quote from: Ollkiller on November 22, 2023, 08:31:42 AMDid you ever watch "The secret in their eyes" Argentinian film that won best oscar for foreign film. Stellar flick.

Watched this last night, great recommendation!

For some reason, afterwards, I felt like watching something 80s so stuck on No Way Out, Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, Sean Young ( :-* ) military/political thriller. Good balance of decent and total cringe  :laugh:

I only watched that for the first time a few months ago. It's awful but had potential.

It came up on the list of things leaving Prime in the next 30 days. Amazing what a sense of false urgency can do to the quality bar when choosing a movie to watch!  :laugh:

Indeed. I watched the first episode of Nightflyers the other day as it's leaving Netflix soon, it was not good.

#3845 December 05, 2023, 11:28:12 PM Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 11:33:19 PM by Mooncat
Watched 'Shoppers of the World' (2021) last night. Kind of a cross between maybe Dazed and Confused and Airheads (nowhere near as good as either). Set on the day The Smiths break up in 1987 and how a group of young superfans in Colorado cope with the news. Very loosely based on the story of a Smiths fan who intended to hold up a metal radio station and force them to play Smiths songs all night. The story and characters are fairly meh, but the soundtrack is obviously amazing, ton of Smiths references and interview segments interspersed, and it's a fairly loving tribute to 80s pop culture in general. One of those 'not a great movie but I enjoyed it anyway' type films.

Also, Christmas season has begun. Watched Die Hard, Gremlins, and Nightmare Before Christmas so far. National Lampoons and Home Alone are the two I always save for the days right before Christmas.

Had Home Alone followed by Planes, Trains and Automobiles last night with the two young lads. Gremlins will be next I reckon both of them

Trading Places last night, still a classic. More or less a Christmas film.

"Mortimer, your brother's not well! He needs help!"

"FUCK HIM! Now you listen here! Get those brokers back in here! Turn those machines back on! TURN THOSE MACHINES BACK ON!"

Bought 2nd hand DVD of Lady Assassin today, according to a review its a "Fun Vietnamese girl power film which does the Roger Corman trick of masking it's message of female empowerment in sexually provocative bathing scenes. A quartet of lethal, colour-coded, beautifully manicured sexpots lure hapless men into their beach-bound bamboo tavern like sirens in Greek mythology..."

Watched Top Secret! last night, which strangely I'd never seen. Rough around the edges in many ways, compared to Airplane, Naked Gun, or Hot Shots, but also has two scenes in particular that are amazing (and hilarious) feats of cinematography.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

I had never seen this. Definitely lives up to its reputation.

I'm a huge Clint fan. Check out The Outlaw Josey Wales if you haven't. Best thing he ever did.

#3853 December 15, 2023, 05:06:43 PM Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 05:23:40 PM by Thorn
I dug out 'The Treatment' this afternoon, a Belgian adaption of Mo Hayder's harrowing 2001 novel, grim and gritty and ideal for anyone seeking to ruin the Xmas spirit.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: hellfire on December 12, 2023, 09:14:54 AMI'm a huge Clint fan. Check out The Outlaw Josey Wales if you haven't. Best thing he ever did.

Sorry, just saw this now. Haven't, will do, nice one  :abbath: