Went to see Killers Of The Flower Moon the other night. I really enjoyed it like most Scorsese films. I'm sure the length of the movie will annoy some, but for us movie nerds it doesn't matter. Really cool story and the acting is fantastic.  De Niro and Decaprio are just ace!

Quote from: StoutAndAle on November 08, 2023, 10:36:23 AM
Quote from: Cailleach on November 07, 2023, 09:36:52 AMMy Favourite Year

Brilliant film. I love the scene where Peter O'Toole goes into the women's toilets half-cut and starts taking a slash. A woman appears and says;

"This is for ladies only!"

"So is this, madam" - says O'Toole nodding down at his fly - "but every now and then I have to run a little water through it.

:laugh:

Yes, that was hilarious.  I wonder was he on it while making that film.

Paths of Glory :abbath:  :abbath:
Hombre.

The lair of the white worm

No need for that movie to be as good craic as it was

#3814 November 11, 2023, 12:48:59 AM Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 12:52:22 AM by Mooncat
Quote from: nukeabuse on November 10, 2023, 11:56:58 PMThe lair of the white worm

No need for that movie to be as good craic as it was

There's something really loveably daft about it. Plus I love all the crazy psychedelic scenes when they hallucinate. Not to mention the absolute excess nudity of Amanda Donahoe throughout is worth the price of admission alone.

Edit: I may be confusing the excess nudity with Lifeforce now that I think about it. Not that Amanda Donahoe still isn't nude for large parts of Lair of the White Worm too. Essentially both are fun horrors where the main female lead is nude a lot. I just think it's in Lifeforce where the main girl I'm not sure is clothed for a single scene throughout :laugh:

Theres definitely a lot of horny scenes in Worm but only a few full titty parts. Will have to check out lifeforce though as she was definitely keeping my interest in worm.

The hallucination scene are nuts. Thought it was just campy silly 12a stuff until the first trip after she's spat on the cross and it's the Romana rapimg the nuns while jesus is on the cross getting bitten by the snake. Had to rewind that part for a second go.

Be careful sharing a popcorn with these bais anyways  :laugh:

Bought Mongol today on DVD in a charity shop. Russian director, supposed to be good hoping to get a chance to watch over the weekend

That the one about Genghis Khan? If so, great film. There was meant to be a follow up but I don't think it ever happened.

Quote from: Carnage on November 12, 2023, 01:32:57 AMThat the one about Genghis Khan? If so, great film. There was meant to be a follow up but I don't think it ever happened.

That's the one all right,  haven't had a chance to put it on yet. Second hand DVDs are cheap in Australia, retailers are still selling new ones but people are dumping them [literally] at a faster rate.  5 for a $1 in some spots

Watched The Killer last night. Not bad, not great

#3822 November 12, 2023, 08:39:11 PM Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:43:31 PM by Mooncat
Has anyone seen The Outlaw Johnny Black? It's supposed to be a follow up to Black Dynamite. Not as in a direct sequel, but basically the same cast and crew doing a send up of westerns this time instead of blaxploitation like the first one. I only found out about its existence today so I'll be trying to track it down to watch in the next few days. Was out this year at some point.

For anyone who hasn't seen Black Dynamite, it's well worth checking out. A send up of 70s blaxploitation stuff like Shaft and Dolemite. Even lovingly includes all the same kinds of mistakes you see in those films like continuity errors, or the cameraman in the shot. Genuinely great film though with hilarious, quotable dialogue. One of those films like Withnail and I where once you discover someone else who's a fan of it, you spend the next 5mins talking to each other exclusively in quotes from the film. A cult classic!

Just watched Master & Commander, never saw it. Great film! Just thinking Peter Weir's name is surprisingly rarely one that comes up when people talk about good directors, but he's got a fairly impressive catalogue.

I love that film, it's one of those you always leave on if you come across it. A shame they didn't make more. I read the first book in the series too, great stuff. Heavy on naval jargon but you get used to it.