Quote from: open face surgery on November 02, 2023, 11:04:45 PMWent to see The Omen in the cinema the other night. Absolutely savage.

Stone cold classic. Saw it first when I was about 10. Scared me for years

#3796 November 06, 2023, 03:33:43 AM Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 03:44:16 AM by Thorn
Quote from: jobrok1 on October 31, 2023, 08:42:35 AMThe entire Blob 1988 movie is on YouTube

https://youtu.be/VJZT1srWii4?si=b4La--LIBaDILftI

Cheers for that, just watched it but can't take it seriously at all, not an interracial or gay couple in sight, I mean come on like. Reckon that would have shook up their idyllic little WASP community more than any Blob. Ah the good ol days when women were women and had the adorable propensity for falling over at thee most inopportune moments. 
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Went to see the new Argentinian movie 'When Evil Lurks' at a horror film festival over the weekend. Loved it, managed an original possession story with little to no CGI or jumpscares but utterly sinister throughout. I think it's out on streaming now too.

It's good yeah. Best of this years mediocre horror bunch, interesting spin on the possession idea.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 04, 2023, 02:01:36 PMThe Place Beyond the Pines last night. Fairly epically not what I was expecting, recommended though. Excellent ensemble cast and performances across the board are superb.

Been meaning to watch this one for years but never quite get around to it because I'm just never quite interested enough to put it on in the moment. I can't get on board with Ryan Gosling as an actor, he seems like a robot. It kind of works for films like Drive and Blade Runner, but it's prevalent in every role he does. He seems completely unable to emote like a normal human to me, it all seems a bit forced. He's Arnie in T2 after his chip has been reset and he's learning what emotions are and how to be humanlike.

Ya, I'd more or less agree on Gosling. Doesn't take away from this film though, and it really is an ensemble cast movie, so overall he's not hogging a majority of screen time.

Similar to that, Keanu Reeves was perfect for hus roles in A Scanner Darkly and The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 06, 2023, 08:12:12 PMYa, I'd more or less agree on Gosling. Doesn't take away from this film though, and it really is an ensemble cast movie, so overall he's not hogging a majority of screen time.

I must get on it then. Not sure I've encountered anyone who dislikes that film.

Quote from: Carnage on November 06, 2023, 08:34:55 PMSimilar to that, Keanu Reeves was perfect for hus roles in A Scanner Darkly and The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Tenuously linked, but I also thought Keanu was a funny choice for Point Break (funny as in actually funny, not weird, he's great in it) because he's supposed to be this really straight, middle America white cop who's being forced to act like a surfer and really looks down on them at the start, yet he's very clearly more surfer than any of them from the very start. Keanu's natural way of talking is more stereotypical surfer bro than any actual Californian surfer  :laugh:

He also seems a bit dead inside though. When was the last time you saw him smile warmly? Like a proper smile from the eyes. Bill and Ted in the late 80s?

Gosling's best performance was his little snigger at the Oscars when Will Smith clattered Chris Rock.

My Favourite Year
The Odessa File
Blue Max
Wild Geese

Good old Richard  Burton. I love how they throw in a reverence to his heavy drinking habits with  the liver joke in Wild Geese.

I must rewatch A Place Beyond the Pines. I remember thinking it was pure grand when it came out, predominantly down to the cardboard cutout that is Sir Goslodian being unable to deliver any kind of emotion in his part.

Watched Mother! the other night. What a steaming pile of shit!?!

Yeah, really didn't like it at all myself. Loved The Whale though, to such an extent that it got me thinking maybe I needed to watch Mother again but through a very different lens. Still haven't done that, but one thing's for sure: I'd be going in with zero expectations the second time  :laugh:

Quote from: open face surgery on November 07, 2023, 11:26:12 PMWatched Mother! the other night. What a steaming pile of shit!?!

:laugh:  :laugh: Yeah seen it in the cinema when it came out and thought it was absolute fucking garbage.

Quote from: Cailleach on November 07, 2023, 09:36:52 AMMy Favourite Year

Brilliant film. I love the scene where Peter O'Toole goes into the women's toilets half-cut and starts taking a slash. A woman appears and says;

"This is for ladies only!"

"So is this, madam" - says O'Toole nodding down at his fly - "but every now and then I have to run a little water through it.

:laugh: