That's probably my favourite of his too. Fantastic stuff.

Savage film.

Watched The Fifth Element the other day. Certainly didn't remember it being that batshit crazy. Terrible but grand.

Misery. Also hadn't watched in years. Was far more of a TV movie/Murder She Wrote in the way it was shot but great movie.

The Blob. Had actually watched it in recent years and forgot. Very enjoyable in all its 80s glory.

The Great Silence - unreal spaghetti western with Klaus Kinski as the villain. Pure 60s practical effects but its by Sergio Corbucci who did Django so its fairly violent for the time. Set in the snow as well which was cool for a western at the time.

Sanjuro. Excellent Kurosawa/Mifune collab. Didn't realise it was a sequel to Yojimbo.

Watched "Violent Night" the other day. Action-comedy movie with David Harbour as Santa who gets involved in a hostage/ransom situation on Christmas Eve. Not bad overall. What is with action films CGI-ing in blood now though? Looks was less real than squibs.

Started to watch the new Will Ferrell/Ryan Reynolds take on Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" called "Spirited". It is absolute shite - lasted 20 minutes or so. Terrible.

"The Verdict" - starring Paul Newman, James Mason, Jack Warden and directed by Sidney Lumet. Brilliant stuff. You rarely see this type of film any more.

A second watch of Eyes Wide Shut, many, many years after the first. It's got good and bad, but would be way down the rankings of Kubrick's films for me.

Absolutely loved Violent Night. My niece and nephew suggested it last year and I was delighted having known nothing about it going in.

I haven
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 20, 2023, 03:24:30 PMA second watch of Eyes Wide Shut, many, many years after the first. It's got good and bad, but would be way down the rankings of Kubrick's films for me.

I haven't seen that since it came out on video/DVD. I didn't think much of it at the time, I'd rank it low, just ahead of A Clockwork Orange. A rewatch might be overdue.

Found a second hand DVD of 'Scrooged' last week for 1€. Had to get it for Christmas. Bill Murray is awesome in it even though he (reportedly) hated the film. As good a  version of 'A Christmas Carol' as you'll get.

Watched Rebel Moon part 1 there. Jesus christ. It's Battle Beyond The Stars with a bigger budget. Crap acting, script, dialogue, direction, editing, effects, etc. Thank fuck it didn't make it as a Star Wars film, really.

Rebel Moon - on Netflix, my 12 year was predicting the plot and what characters were about to be introduced while it was running

Godzilla new one in Japanese language, watched it in the cinema with the same lad, great film 10/10. Great story aside from the CGI stuff, beats any ould marvel

Watched Cold Skin on prime last night. Hadn't heard anything of it before. Was an interesting enough idea although it felt a bit like it ran out of ideas here and there.

Dream Scenario. Daft film with no explanation or resolution but enjoyable watch.

Has anyone watched Saltburn? Didn't appeal to me at all from the blurb but a couple of people have told me it was good.

Didn't think much of Violent Night at all. Just a complete ripoff of much better films like Home Alone, Die Hard, Bad Santa, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and Scrooged (and even John Wick). Agree with the previous comment about CGI blood looking totally shit. The one scene I did enjoy was the Home Alone ripoff with the kid in the attic. A whole film of that would have been much better. Or the Santa magic kill towards the end, a lot more of that kind of thing would have been cool.

Watched Black Christmas there (the 70s one). Good oul creepy one, and you can really see its influence on horror that came after. The crank calls the killer makes are something else! Proper mental and disturbing.

Quote from: Carnage on December 29, 2023, 04:48:50 PMHas anyone watched Saltburn? Didn't appeal to me at all from the blurb but a couple of people have told me it was good.

Saw it last night. Mildly entertaining but left me unimpressed. The missus seemed to think it was decent though