Went to the Addams Family with the young lad, good laugh, fairly loyal to the original (no woke shite). 

Went to see doctor sleep today. Quite good and very faithful to the book.

Quote from: blessed1 on November 03, 2019, 08:52:29 PM

May head along to that myself at some point, after giving The Shining a rewatch. Always been a King head since 12 or so, and thought Dr. Sleep was one of his better later novels. Ewan McGregor with a gash American accent though...

Quote from: Nail_Bombed on November 06, 2019, 09:42:21 AM
Quote from: blessed1 on November 03, 2019, 08:52:29 PM
Ewan McGregor with a gash American accent though...

Never even noticed that ha. If you've read the book I'd say you will enjoy the film.
And yes that and revival were some of his better later novels.

I just watched You Were Never Really Here.  Apart from a complete lack of dialogue throughout and in the few scenes that did have a bit it was all so mumbly as to be practically indecipherable,  it was decent enough.  Dark,  brutal,  intense, atmospheric and all that type of thing.  A bit one dimensional and hardly a classic,  but Joakin Phoenix is always watchable.

Just watched Ridley Scott's crusades epic Kingdom of Heaven for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it, possibly in part because I was expecting Orlando Bloom to ruin it and he (more or less) didn't.

Which version? The theatrical version isn't great but the director's cut is very decent.

Ah, I don't know actually. Watched it on streaming. If it turns out to have been the theatrical version, I'll certainly check out the director's cut after a couple of months distance. Cheers!

It was the theatrical version. A second screening to look forward to now! :)

Good stuff. It introduces and expands subplots,  and generally makes more sense than the theatrical cut. A much more enjoyable watch.

An n-th rewatch of LA Confidential but first time in a fair few years. One of the best of the genre. Any underrated gems like it I might have missed, any origin (stuff like the original Hong Kong Internal Affairs, for example).

Watched 'Crown Vic' the other night,about an LA cop and his new rookie partner out on their first night shift together.Basically its them on patrol in a shit neighbourhood throughout the night,come across all kinds,well worth a watch,good show.

#342 November 21, 2019, 02:27:44 PM Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:30:11 PM by Nail_Bombed
Went to The Irishman last night. My arse did not thank me for getting up afterwards.

Seriously though, it was certainly a good/great film, with great performances from all - but could Scorsese not have trimmed the fat a bit? 3 1/2 hours is some screen length. At least get rid of those older characters riding around in car scenes not saying much,  which didn't do anything for the film.

Three and a half hours... fuck that....

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on November 20, 2019, 11:49:34 PM
An n-th rewatch of LA Confidential but first time in a fair few years. One of the best of the genre. Any underrated gems like it I might have missed, any origin (stuff like the original Hong Kong Internal Affairs, for example).

What a great film everything about it is so good the acting, the way it's shot, the story etc. I haven't seen it in about 2 years I must watch it again soon. Would Chinatown fall under that category? Another great film.