Holy shit... I've never seen Chinatown!!!

Me neither. I always confuse it With Big Trouble in Little China  :laugh: Must give it a look.

I realised my error recently while listening to Joe Rogan discussing Motherless Brooklyn (which sounds really good) with Ed Norton, and Norton was describing different scenes from Chinatown and going on about Jack Nicholson's tremendous,  dark performance.  My image of Kurt Russel with nunchucks soon evaporated!

Saw the Joker..great performance by Phoenix. I tend to take the Scorcese view now that these actors and directors would deliver amazing stuff if they weren't crippldd by the superhero genre. Cool film but it all feeds back into some lad in a jumpsuit that just takes the greatness out of it. Always loved Batman and enjoy comics, but imagine if the money had been put into somwthing really great like a Godfather or something similar.

Yeah,  I find it bizarre that Batman and The Joker are now considered to be challenging, serious roles. That said,  I'm very much looking forward to Paddy Considine's reboot of Kindergarten Cop.

The Irishman is fantastic, it didn't feel as long as it is.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 22, 2019, 06:43:50 AM
Yeah,  I find it bizarre that Batman and The Joker are now considered to be challenging, serious roles. That said,  I'm very much looking forward to Paddy Considine's reboot of Kindergarten Cop.

Oh fuck, I wish this was true!

Seven year old boy sitting on a rusty swing set outside a rundown school.

'Boys 'ave a penis, yeah?
Girls 'ave a fackin' vagina, innit mate!'

Takes a huge swig out of a naggin of cheap vodka and drags hard on a Major.

Isn't The Irishman a Netflix film?
Wont it be on there really soon, like?
Think I'll wait for that and just chip away at it over a couple of evenings.

On Netflix on Friday.

Quote from: mickO))) on November 21, 2019, 09:40:38 PM
Would Chinatown fall under that category? Another great film.

Thanks for the final nudge that got me to watch this! Great indeed.

Skip the sequel (The Two Jakes), it's not a patch on it.

Yes avoid the sequel it's not good.

Ahhh Chinatown amazing. I'd recommend going through a marathon of those early-mid 70's Jack Nicholson movies. Five Easy Pieces, The Last Detail, The Passenger, the incredible Chinatown and the equally incredible One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. What an actor.

Finally saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Loved every second of it. A director who is out on his own in terms of making the movies he wants to make. No fucking super heros. Everything looked beautiful, humour, treating the audience like adults, no back stories or filling in details, my missus didn't 'get it' as such so if you're not familiar with the back story of the Manson family, I'm not sure if it will be as effective as I found it. I read 'Helter Skelter' a good few years back and was obsessed with the story so loved every bit. Can't recommend the book highly enough. The pulling down of the Bruce Lee myth was gas too..DiCaprio and Pitt class.

I watched OUATIH last night myself. It was OK, no better than that. Looked great alright and, when he wasn't clearly turning up for his pay cheque, Pitt looked like he was having a ball. Suitably Tarantino-esque ending but what the hell was the point of casting Margot Robbie in such a flimsy role? His foot fetish is getting out of control, too.