QuoteWhat a catalogue of shit to have as your legacy.

You're not wrong there. There's not a single track from St Anger to now that has had any staying power.

I really thought that new song was lads having a laugh! Bit stunned its actually really a Metallica song.

Yeah, I dunno, guess thats me off the Metallica Fan Wagon again.

I'm still getting over the black album in fairness! I was quite young when I heard it. It was in the same vein as Maidens "No Prayer for the Dying". Epic albums followed by rubbish.....lets be honest its not like they are the Rolling Stones.....like Keith Richards said about them "they are a good joke...."

I do like Hammett's EP, thought it had some great parts (To Tame A Land? anyone...)

Gathering clouds on the Metallica front I think but at least they are still bringing heavy music to the masses.

What amazes me is they've been bulletproof, whether it be changing trends, failed festivals, movies or releasing a shit show of a record their popularity has been seemingly unwavering. They've survived it all without so much as a dip in popularity.

Quote from: Pagan Saviour on January 20, 2023, 11:57:28 AMWhat amazes me is they've been bulletproof, whether it be changing trends, failed festivals, movies or releasing a shit show of a record their popularity has been seemingly unwavering. They've survived it all without so much as a dip in popularity.

Agreed. Laughable at this point

Quote from: Bürggermeister on January 20, 2023, 11:39:44 AMCome to think of it, Trujillo, the most anonymous figure in rock, has now been a part of the shit show longer than Burton, Newsted and McGovney put together, hasn't he.

It was 21 years ago yesterday that Newstead quit. Now for ya.

Kind of sounds like it could be a cover from Garage Inc.

It's no better or worse than the last one or as said above, the last 30 years

They look like they are enjoying themselves so that's nice.

Was reluctant to say I liked Lux aeterna as I was wondering if it was just the novelty of having a new song but thought this second song was a load of shite on first listen. It's worst of 90s Metallica combined with the worst habits of the last two albums.

Kirk's soloing particularly bad. The whole song sounds like it was written as they jammed along and recorded in one take.

Quote from: Pagan Saviour on January 20, 2023, 11:57:28 AMWhat amazes me is they've been bulletproof, whether it be changing trends, failed festivals, movies or releasing a shit show of a record their popularity has been seemingly unwavering. They've survived it all without so much as a dip in popularity.

I don't think they'll ever lose popularity. Metallica is the main band every metal teen grows up with, even today. They're the gateway to everything else too. No matter how shit they get, they're still an indelible part of your soul (and arguably still unmatched as a metal band). They knew what they were talking about with that Birth, School, Metallica, Death t-shirt. Even though they've been painful now for three times longer than they were good!

I was into loads of other shit before I got into Metallica so they never had that impact. I still just think the early stuff is fine. Slayer everyday of the week.

Also, I've found that people are quicker to say Slipknot these days where it used to always be Metallica

Had this on in the car today with the young lad beside me. It finished. Neither of us said a word. Says it all.

Quote from: Trev on January 20, 2023, 11:29:57 AMWhatever about how generic the songs have been, how can arguably the biggest band in the world not put together a decent sounding album?

Are their ears just completely fucked and they don't realise how shit their production has been for 20 years? Christ I'd take a generic Andy Sneap job at this point
Sneap would make them sound great. The last Priest album sounds deadly!

Sneap would do what he's told by the lad who keeps turning the fucking drums up.

The loudness of the drums isn't the core problem; it's the drum sounds themselves. Whatever patches they're using make the kit as a whole sound like it was generated by a shitty AI prompted to create a drum track "in the style of early Metallica but compressed for streaming via Pandora circa 2003."