Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 28, 2023, 11:03:06 AM
Quote from: Mithrandir on June 16, 2023, 09:06:55 AMHere's one - Into Infinite Obscurity is the best thing Dissection did, the albums sound tame compared to what they managed on this.

This one got kinda jumped over. For me, this is a perfect controversial metal opinion. I don't personally agree with it, but it's the kind of position I'm glad to know some people out there hold  :laugh:  :abbath:

I'm in full agreement, unsurprisingly

Quote from: NINE-T on August 27, 2023, 11:29:07 PMSt anger is an excellent album controversial I know but who gives a fluck.. Also slayers D.I.M and repentless are excellent. Megadeths the system has failed is the best thing mustaine has done since 91. Oh and Anthrax recent albums have been class. I'll get me coat.

MEGADETH - The System Has Failed...... ah man, to be fair you have a point. Poland is even on it.

Diabolus in Musica was a defo Slayer experiment moment, defo has its moments and the tour was epic! 2 nights in the SFX here! epic!
Repentless is a sad way to bow out, World Painted Blood was the real swansong.

ST Anger, I've listen to the least! Wouldn't even pick it up to be honest!

Agreed WPB was the swansong four the original line up, but repentless is a terrific album. Metallica always changed and upset people. I got into them from RTL when it came out and people said that was a sell out. If compare their first five lps , bar RTL and MOP they always took risks, and I came from listening to 70s/80s punk clash, pistols , ruts,SLF, kennedys, which was all about change and risk, probably explains my love for st anger. Your right about Poland what a guitarist, peace sells is their best album and line too me.

I do like Repentless.... have the Metal Eagle Box, epic piece of musical history. Massive Slayer fan, I'd have to get all my tickets together to see just how many times I have actually seen them. Its at least 30!!!!!! Starting in the early 90's

Interesting comment on the RTL and MOP, being kinda not risk albums.

RISK!!!!! No!!!!! can't handle that album!

Yeah RISK is a head scratcher alright! May be that should of been his solo project. What I meant by RTL and MOP is that they are similar to each other, but as you said they took risks with them as well , As much as METALLICA take fair kicking these days , I've enjoyed my journey with them so far obviously highs and not so highs , the big four really have been a part of my life since I was an 80s punk/thrash head. The impact the big four had on metal and alternative metal can not be underestimated.

Anthrax are the only one of the four who released anything worth a second listen after 1992.

I think Peace Sells is best Megadeth also. I find Rust in peace a liitle too clean. Yes fantastic songs there but no great edge to some of them compared to Peace Sells. I would put So Far, so good.. 2nd which I suppose is my controversial part here. Love that album. It's pretty fucking evil and messed up sounding.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on August 28, 2023, 01:51:46 PMAnthrax are the only one of the four who released anything worth a second listen after 1992.
Mmmm I think Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia are fine.
Load is OK but reload is patchy. Everything else is tragicomedy.
Some Slayer was OK but a lot of padding though.
Anthrax had a few good albums with bush what would you recommend with Joey era 2?

This thread has gone from controversial to outright heresy  :laugh:

#1014 August 28, 2023, 03:26:16 PM Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 03:28:05 PM by KingHostile
I think Anthrax, "Worship Music" and "For All Kings" is possibly their best work. Before those two I loved "Persistence of Time", Parts of "Volume 8" and "we Have Come For You All". Yes I was around for "Sound of White noise" which I don't mind and its a solid album.

I would reckon "Countdown..." is a better album than "Rust In Peace", the guitar changes, clean to heavy and the to me Megadeth really reached a new peak at that time. Throw in "Angry Again", "Go To Hell" and some other of the "Hidden Treasures" stuff and wow.

Would also reckon "Peace Sells" is a better album than "So Far so good..." for a load of reasons. The album sound and playing are possibly better. BUT!!! These albums right up to "Youthanasia" are all amazing.

Slayer and Anthrax are the post 90's bands of the big 4 I reckon. Slayer fell apart but Anthrax are still there. Although how many times have I seen Anthrax minus a member the last 10 years I don't know! 6 possibly! Seeing John Dette I suppose was a bonus. Andreas Kisser well, nah to that Cavalera Meal Ticket Stealer  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Metallica: I remember the "Black" Album coming out and completely dismissing Metallica. It was only later when "Binge and Purge" came out and I watched the Seattle show I went and bought "Master of Puppets". Sepultura were rocking it for me at the time along with Death. So I suppose I was into the more extreme edge of things. Napalm Death and even Paradise Lost. But I will say for me Metallica are a Love Hate type thing. They have however kinda jilted me. "Death Magnetic" was good..... Hardwired was good, a lot of filler on the second side...I'd keep "Spit out the bone" and chuck the entire second disk!!!!

Slayer, I remain loyal to them, "Undisputed Attitude" is the true F$5K you to corporate rock.

Quote from: Don Gately on August 28, 2023, 01:57:49 PMI think Peace Sells is best Megadeth also. I find Rust in peace a liitle too clean. Yes fantastic songs there but no great edge to some of them compared to Peace Sells. I would put So Far, so good.. 2nd which I suppose is my controversial part here. Love that album. It's pretty fucking evil and messed up sounding.
Spot on with peace sells , peace sells, master of puppets, reign in blood and among the living . Are true classics. Rust in peace is a good album but I'd have Seth's first 3 and count down b; it. Anthrax for all kings is excellent, followed closely by worship music.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on August 28, 2023, 01:51:46 PMAnthrax are the only one of the four who released anything worth a second listen after 1992.

Defo the right thread for this :laugh:

I'll add my own - bar a handful of songs, Anthrax never released anything worth a listen. Have no idea how anyone rates them.

Divine Intervention is Slayer's third-best album.

I like Divine Intervention but every album before it is leagues ahead. Anthrax are nothing more than an also ran, for me.

#1018 August 28, 2023, 06:08:51 PM Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 01:17:04 AM by Carnage
I think Hell Awaits is shit, I'd rate it just above Diabolus and Undisputed. I might have mentioned this before but I wouldn't put RIB down as a top 3 Slayer album, let alone their best.

Someone was asking about the Bush-era Anthrax albums - the only one I liked was WCFYA, and about half of that is filler.

Edit: I did a mix of the Bush-era songs that I liked:

Room For One More
Hy Pro Glo
Invisible
1000 Points Of Hate
C11 H17 N2 O2 S Na

Riding Shotgun

Crush
Killing Box

What Doesn't Die
Refuse To Be Denied
Safe Home
Any Place But Here
Black Dahlia
Think About An End

WCFYA the only Bush one i really like too.I really like the last few Anthrax albums,was always a big fan tbh.