Quote from: Ducky on April 29, 2020, 01:42:33 AM
The first Offspring album is pretty formative, but it's got a hard edge and it's pretty political in places. Ignition is amazing, some really dark songs on it. Smash still has a hard edge, it's hooky as fuck but there's plenty of dirty riffs on it. All three were produced by Thom Wilson too (Dead Kennedy's, TSOL, Christian Death).

Inxnay on the Hombre was produced by Dave Jerden, sounds much more polished - but not more than any of his other big records. Songwriting is still there but the pop is definitely creeping in by now. Bizarrely, Jello Biafra shows up on this record to do a piss-take interlude.

Are they even together these days? I know Dexter Holland went back and finished his PhD in molecular biology a few years ago. For a lad that has enough money to last several lifetimes, fair dues to him going back, think he was working in research towards a cure for HIV.

Dexter and Noodles (?) recently did a cover of a Joe Exotic, from Tiger King fame, song/vid.

Quote from: Anton Arcane on April 29, 2020, 03:14:07 AM
Jesu > Godflesh
Not a chance.  That said I fuckin love Jesu too, were always one of my favourites since Heartache came out.  Just got the s/t on vinyl in the post today and all.  But Godflesh is easily the best Broadrick band.

Jesu > Godflesh

It's been years since they released anything that would give that credence. Heart Ache is untouchable, and the s/t album, Silver, Sun Down/Sun Rise and their half of the split with Eluvium are up there, but then you have stuff like Conqueror and Lifeline which are pretty mediocre, and the Sun Kil Moon collaborations which are absolute dogshit.

Pretty much everything Godflesh have put out is great, though I thought the first couple of comeback releases were below their previous standard. Post Self is savage, though.

Jesu > Godflesh

Ah no, not even close for me. Jesu's output is much more patchy than Godflesh's catalogue. Jesu actually have a few stinkers in there, although I do like and listen to the majority of it. I won't hear a bad word about the first Jesu album, or the Silver EP but after that it starts to get a little less good. I can understand at the same time why some people would feel as you do, though, Godflesh isn't the easiest to get into and the vocal style can be a bit off putting for some, but for me Godflesh are untouchable at what they do. On the face of it it seems very simplistic but JK is a brilliant guitarist, Benny Green is great at what he does with the bass and Machines is a brutally effective drummer. The way the rhythm underpins everything and Broadrick pretty much wrings the fucking neck out of his guitar (

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76vGiZS6zFY check this if you have time I love this performance from him) all comes together quite beautifully.

I find with most people they are either in the camp of "fuck this is brilliant" or "I don't see the big deal with these lads at all". Jesu probably has a more broad appeal due to the softer nature of the sound although there are of course many similarities between the two.

Devin Townsend. Pompous. Annoying cunt. That is all.

Is there anything happening under the Pale Sketcher banner these days? I know he separated the more electronic stuff from Jesu a few years back, but it seemed to peter out.

I didn't hear anything of the Pale Sketcher either now you mention it. There was just the one album I know of and he seemed to move on to JK Flesh after that. Some of his live sets are great there's loads of em on Youtube

Quote from: ldj on April 28, 2020, 09:11:29 PM
The only song I know of theirs is Pretty Fly for a White Guy so I always thought they were a parody/comedy band tbh.

I've never been a fan of pop punk though.

Pretty Fly for a White Guy is The Offspring's "Enter Sandman".
Their first couple of albums are definitely not pop punk!

Quote from: Giggles on April 29, 2020, 08:58:41 PM
Quote from: ldj on April 28, 2020, 09:11:29 PM
The only song I know of theirs is Pretty Fly for a White Guy so I always thought they were a parody/comedy band tbh.

I've never been a fan of pop punk though.

Pretty Fly for a White Guy is The Offspring's "Enter Sandman".
Their first couple of albums are definitely not pop punk!

They are very far removed from the likes of someone like The Exploited too though. And I'm a huge Offspring fan for what it's worth.

Are they even together these days? I know Dexter Holland went back and finished his PhD in molecular biology a few years ago. For a lad that has enough money to last several lifetimes, fair dues to him going back, think he was working in research towards a cure for HIV.

They're working on a new album. Be hard to follow up on this absolute banger from the last release  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/0eJZo1Hs8yk

Quote from: astfgyl on April 29, 2020, 07:28:41 PM
Jesu > Godflesh

Ah no, not even close for me. Jesu's output is much more patchy than Godflesh's catalogue. Jesu actually have a few stinkers in there, although I do like and listen to the majority of it. I won't hear a bad word about the first Jesu album, or the Silver EP but after that it starts to get a little less good. I can understand at the same time why some people would feel as you do, though, Godflesh isn't the easiest to get into and the vocal style can be a bit off putting for some, but for me Godflesh are untouchable at what they do. On the face of it it seems very simplistic but JK is a brilliant guitarist, Benny Green is great at what he does with the bass and Machines is a brutally effective drummer. The way the rhythm underpins everything and Broadrick pretty much wrings the fucking neck out of his guitar (

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76vGiZS6zFY check this if you have time I love this performance from him) all comes together quite beautifully.

I find with most people they are either in the camp of "fuck this is brilliant" or "I don't see the big deal with these lads at all". Jesu probably has a more broad appeal due to the softer nature of the sound although there are of course many similarities between the two.

Godflesh are pummelling live, they are so, so heavy. Some of their later stuff and their love of putting out an endless amount of remixes isn't great but their top stuff is incredible.

I don't get Sunn O))) and bands of that ilk.

Everyone says you have to see them live but tbh standing around for an hour and a half listening to one chord ring out sounds boring as fuck.

I've seen them twice and the first time the experience was like none I'd had before.  The physicality of the sound hammering through my skull was painful. It was an endurance test and definitely a unique buzz in that respect.  The second time was with Atilla Csihar doing vocals.  There were six guitarists on stage but somehow the volume wasn't anywhere near the levels of the first gig, but Atilla's otherworldly vocals were mind blowing.  The noises he can make are inhuman. 

So yeah,  there is no denying the gimmickry of Sunn o))) but they are actually worth experiencing live for something quite different to the norm.

Quote from: Giggles on April 29, 2020, 09:09:22 PM

They're working on a new album. Be hard to follow up on this absolute banger from the last release  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/0eJZo1Hs8yk

That surely has to be a piss take?????

Destroy Erase Improve is Meshuggah's best album.

I was really looking forward to Nothing and it turned out to be a let down and since then it's been a wash/ rinse/ repeat of the same gimmick.

I saw them live around the time Nothing came out and I just didn't get it there either.