Quote from: O Drighes on January 21, 2024, 11:29:50 AM
Quote from: KingHostile on January 17, 2024, 04:16:51 PMEmperor..... not great!

Mildly controversial I'd say, they're still very influential. I loved listening to Emperor when I started listening to Black Metal, but I can't remember the last time I had the urge to listen to it.

As a drummer, it's hard to ignore how impressive their musicianship is, but that's as far as it goes for me these days...

Yes indeed..... not totally knocking them, get that they are quite influential.....get they are quite accomplished.... just don't think they will do anything interesting other than kick their back catalogue.

Think they are defunct as far as a creative force anyway.

Just a point to note.

I'll probably be excommunicated for saying this but Reverend Bizarre are fucking tedious. Tried listening to their first album again yesterday and I couldn't get through it.

One of the greatest albums ever written. The rest is of varying quality for me but In The Rectory.. is perfect.

Do you find it tedious despite liking other similar doom albums? Or you just don't dig the genre?

No, I'm a huge fan of doom. I love Candlemass, Cathedral, Scald etc. so Reverend Bizarre should be right up my alley. There's just not enough going on in the music to grab my attention. The riffs aren't particularly good and I find the vocals irritating.

Fair enough. Odd one alright. Love all those bands too, but to my ears there's a certain kind of atmosphere attained on In The Rectory... that nothing even in Candlemass' catalogue can compare with.

Same as Matt though, outside of that album I can more or less take or leave among the rest, rarely listen to it.

It's just not for me, I find it too one-dimensional whereas I can lose myself in an album like Will of the Gods is a Great Power.
Then again, I enjoy listening to Archgoat so what the fuck do I know?!

Quote from: Massey Ferguson on January 24, 2024, 10:56:05 AMNo, I'm a huge fan of doom. I love Candlemass, Cathedral, Scald etc. so Reverend Bizarre should be right up my alley. There's just not enough going on in the music to grab my attention. The riffs aren't particularly good and I find the vocals irritating.

It's 100% the riffs. I love all those other bands myself, there's some tasty drumming on the Reverend stuff, (I quite dig the pomposity of the vocals too), but oh man, the riffs are coma-inducing. It all sounds like it was lifted from "My First Doom Licks" or something.

That little two note figure that's delivered after almost every line in "Burn in Hell" makes me want to poke holes in me ears before the song finishes.

I think Burn in Hell is sublime. The riffs, vocals, drums, production, atmosphere... to me it sounded unearthly when I first heard it twenty something years ago. Total mesmerising transcendence. I had never heard a doom record like that at that point and when I listen to it now, and the rest of the album, it still transports me to another world.

Quote from: Ducky on January 24, 2024, 11:31:26 AM
Quote from: Massey Ferguson on January 24, 2024, 10:56:05 AMNo, I'm a huge fan of doom. I love Candlemass, Cathedral, Scald etc. so Reverend Bizarre should be right up my alley. There's just not enough going on in the music to grab my attention. The riffs aren't particularly good and I find the vocals irritating.

It's 100% the riffs. I love all those other bands myself, there's some tasty drumming on the Reverend stuff, (I quite dig the pomposity of the vocals too), but oh man, the riffs are coma-inducing. It all sounds like it was lifted from "My First Doom Licks" or something.

That little two note figure that's delivered after almost every line in "Burn in Hell" makes me want to poke holes in me ears before the song finishes.

Yeah, the riffs are very dull. They barely even qualify as riffs. The album might sound okay with a lot of sweet leaf in the system but even then I think I'd be bored as fuck.

Mesmerizing, exactly. Something achieved by creating atmosphere, not by stringing riffs together and hoping atmosphere happens. Jaws theme music, y'know: What's the atmosphere that's being created here? Not, I wonder are they going to use any other notes?

Reverend Bizare were astounding, something there for any fan of doom I'd have thought. I'd understand not being a fan of the third album as it does go on a bit but In The Rectory... is near perfect.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 24, 2024, 11:39:10 AMI think Burn in Hell is sublime. The riffs, vocals, drums, production, atmosphere... to me it sounded unearthly when I first heard it twenty something years ago. Total mesmerising transcendence. I had never heard a doom record like that at that point and when I listen to it now, and the rest of the album, it still transports me to another world.

I get this buzz listening to something like Opaque Divinity by Solitude Aeturnus, which is obviously broadly similar to RB, but RB leaves me cold.

Can understand why some people might not like Reverend. But man oh man I love them, doom metal at its absolute finest.