#1260 November 14, 2023, 07:59:23 PM Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:37:50 PM by Thorn
The new Godflesh is pretty damn dull to my ears. Have to put this here seeing as seemingly everyone else is lauding it but I'm hearing way more Jesu than Godflesh until the last couple of tracks which channel a sliver of that old urban decay they captured way back when. I'm culling albums as I pare the year's intake down to a favourite twenty and this is gone today. I even took the fucker to bed and got nothing but a good sleep. Bah.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: hellfire on November 13, 2023, 09:51:01 AMI never got into them. I remember seeing their music videos in the 90s and thinking those were amazing.

Yeah, made a splash with the videos in the 90s.... the album artwork is great (goggles 3D artwork) but kinda dropped off. Could be the silk pjs and wine killing the drive. ... that last album was so bland! What do they have to prove?

There was a bit of Metallica-esque 90s vibe by them towards their fans for a while as well.

Yeah Adam Jones (Tool's guitarist) is responsible for the videos.

He's a better animator than guitarist for sure.

I like Godflesh, Streetcleaner fantastic, an album came out a few years ago that I liked a lot for about a week, world lit only by fire but I really struggle with them now. Want to like them but find it hard.

I fuckin love Godflesh. Ye are just listening to it wrong

Quote from: astfgyl on November 15, 2023, 04:51:57 PMI fuckin love Godflesh. Ye are just listening to it wrong
I've been seeing a lot of Godflesh opinions lately online but I am in agreement only with you there and am keeping the head down otherwise  :laugh:

Quote from: astfgyl on November 15, 2023, 04:51:57 PMI fuckin love Godflesh. Ye are just listening to it wrong
Never listened to Godflesh for some reason, despite loving SYL and knowing they were a massive influence on Devin

Went to check them out at Damnation last year, and had to leave after about three songs, between the noise level, the distortion, the feedback, it was all a bit much for me.
Someone told me that it's supposed to make you feel a bit uncomfortable, but after two days on the beer I was in no state for being challenged that way

Quote from: Trev on November 15, 2023, 07:32:16 PM
Never listened to Godflesh for some reason, despite loving SYL and knowing they were a massive influence on Devin

Went to check them out at Damnation last year, and had to leave after about three songs, between the noise level, the distortion, the feedback, it was all a bit much for me.
Someone told me that it's supposed to make you feel a bit uncomfortable, but after two days on the beer I was in no state for being challenged that way

:'(

Thought their gig in Dublin last year was one of the best things I've ever seen and had less feedback than I anticipated. Had gotten through over 2 decades of solidly buzzing off them on CD before that without ever seeing them. Can't say enough good things about them tbh

I love that about them, isn't that what makes em'? The use of feedback, tone, distortion, delay, volume, riffs, beats and dare I say melody.

#1269 November 16, 2023, 01:11:08 AM Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 01:55:11 AM by Carnage
Quote from: astfgyl on November 15, 2023, 07:59:49 PM
Quote from: Trev on November 15, 2023, 07:32:16 PM

:'(

Thought their gig in Dublin last year was one of the best things I've ever seen and had less feedback than I anticipated. Had gotten through over 2 decades of solidly buzzing off them on CD before that without ever seeing them. Can't say enough good things about them tbh

What he said. I've been a fan since Streetcleaner but never saw them until last year and they blew me away. Until Swans a few months ago it was the loudest gig I'd been to but it lost nothing for it. The pummelling volume was part of the draw, part of the experience, and a definite plus.

That Swans gig was fucking spectacular too. I've never seen anything like it

Same. It'll never be topped for me. Can't see myself bothering with anything else again unless it's something spectacular. I'm tempted by Enslaved but Opium is too small a venue for them, if it was upgraded I'd consider it.

I saw Swans at Chaos Descends several years ago. It was fucking awful shite  :laugh:

I know you're right, I must try harder.

Godflesh have a few great albums, but everything they released after Selfless is average at best. The comeback albums were grand, but I haven't listened to them in years.