Quote from: StoutAndAle on June 15, 2020, 03:12:23 PM
Why can't publishers offer you an eBook download when you buy a print copy of a new book? Like when you get new vinyl. If you're reading a fairly weighty tome (à la Robert Caro's "The Power Broker", Mark Lewisohn's first of three books on The Beatles or Ian Kershaw's 2-part megalith on Hitler) and fancy enjoying it on lunch break in work it's a pain in the hole to have to lug it around with you.

I realise that I could have just bought the Kindle version rather than being a moany cunt, sometimes I like to own the actual book. I buy a fair amount of Kindle titles too. Which brings me to my second whinge - the pricing on Kindle books can be off the wall. Recently I was looking for something and the print copy was cheaper than the digital version. Further to that, why the fuck are Kindle books restricted to territories? Steven Hyden's first two books are available in all formats on Amazon US (where I can't order from) but only in print (at a high price) on Amazon UK.

*Cough* Z Library *Cough*

Very little actually riles me these days, but one thing guaranteed to set me off is the nonsense phrases people use in seemingly random fashion.

"For the day that's in it."
"Sure look it"
"Grand so"

These phrases make literally no fucking sense whatsoever. In particular the first one, it drives me to distraction. The English equivalent of Del Boy Trotter's nonsensical french babblings, and affected almost solely by people who have nothing more to say but love the sound of their own voice and just have to shoehorn one more sentence into the conversation.

Bastards.

Divil a bodder hey....

Quote from: 135150 on June 17, 2020, 08:13:00 AM
Very little actually riles me these days, but one thing guaranteed to set me off is the nonsense phrases people use in seemingly random fashion.

"For the day that's in it."
"Sure look it"
"Grand so"

These phrases make literally no fucking sense whatsoever. In particular the first one, it drives me to distraction. The English equivalent of Del Boy Trotter's nonsensical french babblings, and affected almost solely by people who have nothing more to say but love the sound of their own voice and just have to shoehorn one more sentence into the conversation.

Bastards.

to be fair

blue sky thinking

...going forward

thankin' u

grand sez u

and long may it continue

Bonnet du douche!

This is more of it now

Listen I'll leave you off g'wan.

I don't think there is anything wrong with those random phrases at all. I mostly enjoy the fact that people say meaningless things for no reason.

What I do find troubling though is how many Irish people end up with an American accent. I can see exactly how it happens, but it's a thing that gets to me

Irish TV is unwatchable anymore, thanks in no part to that yank accent thing. Ads oarticularly, those cunts on about 'dada' in mobile phone ads lately are the epitome of it. Fuck off.

I honestly don't know about almost everything that goes on in Media Ireland. I got sick of it years ago and the covid finished me off with it altogether because of the "stay at home" graphic in the top corner.

From here on in, it's just going to be wildly speculative pseudo-documentaries about ancient and impossible-to-put-an-age-on stone walls videos for me. On the laptop, with adblock.

Quote from: astfgyl on June 19, 2020, 12:26:56 AM
I honestly don't know about almost everything that goes on in Media Ireland. I got sick of it years ago and the covid finished me off with it altogether because of the "stay at home" graphic in the top corner.

From here on in, it's just going to be wildly speculative pseudo-documentaries about ancient and impossible-to-put-an-age-on stone walls videos for me. On the laptop, with adblock.

this is what tv has become.