Started on a new site today and there's a chick here who already has me melted.  When she speaks to Irish people she speaks in her Irish accent.  When she speaks to the Americans on site she speaks with an American accent.  It should be fucking illegal.

#241 March 14, 2019, 11:45:18 AM Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:03:53 PM by ochoill
It is the fuckin worst, and only half as gas as catching irish lads speaking with an east european inflection when they work with a few polish chaps.

Only very barely related, I watch a good bit of cooking shows on youtube, if I have to hear an American butcher the pronunciation of Worchestershire Sauce again i'll break my phone.

It's Worcestershire sauce.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on March 14, 2019, 11:13:21 AM
Started on a new site today and there's a chick here who already has me melted.  When she speaks to Irish people she speaks in her Irish accent.  When she speaks to the Americans on site she speaks with an American accent.  It should be fucking illegal.

Why does that peeve you though?

Quote from: Caomhaoin on March 14, 2019, 01:47:59 PM
It's Worcestershire sauce.
:laugh: fuck.  Not even going to correct my spelling, I'm living with that mistake.

It's a spasticated word either way. So is Leicester, now that I think of it. Completely missing a syllable for no apparent reason.

Quote from: Emphyrio on March 14, 2019, 03:03:34 PM
It's a spasticated word either way. So is Leicester, now that I think of it. Completely missing a syllable for no apparent reason.
In fairness, it's funny as fook listening to forners trying to pronounce either.

As a secondary school teacher in Spain for the last 4 years I've heard so many handicapped attempts to pronounce English words...

Sorry about that Ochill, it was a 'dick move' as they say in the states but it was begging to be corrected!

#249 March 15, 2019, 12:37:56 PM Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:42:21 PM by ochoill
Quote from: Caomhaoin on March 14, 2019, 07:12:59 PM
Sorry about that Ochill, it was a 'dick move' as they say in the states but it was begging to be corrected!
Ah no bother, I walked into that one really :laugh:
Quote from: Emphyrio on March 14, 2019, 03:03:34 PM
It's when people jump through hoops to enunciate every fucking bit of it, it's ridiculous.  A genuine peeve here as I can barely explain my rage.  Almost as ridiculous as having to pronounce parmesan as "Permajohn" when I worked in a pizza place years ago in Canada.

The opposite end of all that is my mates father who used to call a famous French footballer, and legend at Arsenal, Terry Henry.

Quote from: ochoill on March 15, 2019, 12:37:56 PM
It's when people jump through hoops to enunciate every fucking bit of it, it's ridiculous.  A genuine peeve here as I can barely explain my rage.  Almost as ridiculous as having to pronounce parmesan as "Permajohn" when I worked in a pizza place years ago in Canada.

I couldn't in good conscience bring myself to pronounce it like that.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - often interesting, never funny. That's the peeve. I'd like something that did the interesting 15 - 20 minute analyses without trying, and failing so cringe-inducingly, to be funny.

He's awful..where the hell did he come from? Yanks just love anyone with an English accent.

I love listening to Infinite Monkey Cage as the lads tackle complex stuff (for me) but make it all very accessible,  but I do find the humour a bit tiresome at times. Sometimes it's funny but usually I'd prefer to just listen to the people explain the subject as the topics are always fascinating in and of themselves.  I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a peeve.  Hang on,  how did I get into this thread and where is the exit AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH