Quote from: jobrok1 on September 05, 2021, 10:25:46 AM
I'd have been quite happy with the first 7 tracks on one disc and be done with it.
The last 3 tracks are quite hard work.

Last track is class!

Fair enough!
Ditch the other 2... leave it at 1 CD.

Very poor album. There's nothing on here that they haven't done in much better fashion in the past. And the intro to The Parchment? Fuckin hell it sounded like they were going to launch into a Procaimers cover  :laugh:

On first listen I get the feeling that there are the bones of some good songs in there...they are just lost in a world of  songs being far too long to keep your attention,  time/tempo changes and diddly widdly dee guitar parts....

I'm trying so hard with this album but it's very difficult. Those last 3 songs especially....some cool bits but somebody needs to have a word with Harris and edit him. Tracks 2 - 7 are good (the opening title track is just a nothing song). How anyone can think it's one of the best albums they've ever done is beyond me and I do think some of these hardcore Maiden fans are just obliged to say such things. It's not even close to the best they've done since the Bruce comeback. Maybe this'll change over time but I doubt it.
www.dme-promotions.com
www.facebook.com/dmepromotions
www.instagram.com/dmepromotions
www.twitter.com/dmepromotions

There's a bit in the middle/towards the end of The Parchment that really sounds like that Sting song Fields of Gold. If only they'd been inspired by its length too.

Agree with H. Ending on three 10+ minute, all mid-tempo tracks...I'd been doing well until here, although it's only on in the background. Not the worst Maiden album though.

I listened to the new album at work today, I actually liked the last album but it took a good few listens before it clicked, this however I don't think ever will, I almost switched it off a couple of times but listened until the end, not their finest work.

Zero interest in subjecting myself to this album but I'm tempted to check out the Blaze Bailey albums. Apart from 'Falling Down, which I like, I don't think I've heard any of that stuff.

1 noticeable thing is a lot of great guitar solos. There's a section in 'Death Of The Celts' where there's run of absolutely killer solos.
www.dme-promotions.com
www.facebook.com/dmepromotions
www.instagram.com/dmepromotions
www.twitter.com/dmepromotions

I think the 2nd guitar solo on "The Writing on the Wall" is class, I assume it's Adrian Smith. The album hasn't clicked with me yet but then again it needs a few spins perhaps.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 07, 2021, 10:22:08 PM
Zero interest in subjecting myself to this album but I'm tempted to check out the Blaze Bailey albums. Apart from 'Falling Down, which I like, I don't think I've heard any of that stuff.

I think The x Factor is a great album. It's definitely the darkest thing they did.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 07, 2021, 10:22:08 PM

I think the last Iron Maiden song I heard was The Clansman off Virtual XI.

I was only 15 or 16 but that was me finished with them. Bruce coming back a couple of years later with short hair for the cash in? Nah I wasn't tempted and haven't been since. Can't believe 20 years later they are still at it.

That said I saw them live 7 or 8 years ago and despite having no expectations I enjoyed it. I think it was an 80s set and I was definitely full of beer so that helped  :laugh:

#102 September 13, 2021, 04:57:13 PM Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:50:18 PM by Thorn
First spin  today, expectations low and battered to basement levels further by this thread. Unsurprisingly then I found the first disc not a bad listen at all. Went away, came back, stuck on disc 2. ..like wading through treacle. Harris has lost the run of himself altogether. Basically take out The Death of The Celts and The Parchment and it's decent enough over all.  Still, 25th 2021 release I've bought so far and I 'd be struggling to put any of them below this on an end of year list.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Middle Age Maiden by numbers, yes, and y'know what, that's fine, that'll do. We'll miss em when they hang it up. If I want something more invigorating, and released on the same day, we have the new Portrait.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes