Quote from: Carnage on August 23, 2024, 12:05:23 PMDecent alright. Brown Bear in Aldi is similarly tasty, the double IPA is dangerous stuff though.

Aye, used to love the BB double IPA but the headaches the following morning... it's heavy stuff. Currently enjoying the Kinnegar Scraggy Bay IPA. Has a decent kick at 5.3% but won't leave you in bits the next day.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on August 21, 2024, 12:35:51 PM4 x 440ml cans for a €5 in Supervalu.

What's all this, was there not a minimum pricing yoke brought in a while back where cans couldn't be cheaper than €2?

Quote from: Maggot Colony on August 23, 2024, 12:43:19 PMGuinness West Indies Porter. Both 6% and tasty as fuck.

Fucking lovely stuff so it is

Quote from: Giggles on August 23, 2024, 10:03:41 PMWhat's all this, was there not a minimum pricing yoke brought in a while back where cans couldn't be cheaper than €2?
No, sort of, there is a calculation for it where it's a euro a unit or something iirc, so most cheap cans reduced their size and percentage to get the minimum even.  Most of them are 440ml and 4%.  Dutch Gold and Karp Pils are 3 or 3.5, Karp red is now 4 instead of 5, Druids is gone right down too, anything that said 4.4 or 4.5 is rounded down, all sorts of other shit just to keep the cans cheap.

Ah it's a fucking nightmare for jakies like myself

I remember being in Aldi when the minimum pricing just started, some lad was buying his slab of Galahad, young one on the till scans, asks for payment and he says "ah sure what's the fuckin' point anymore" :laugh:

Quote from: Ducky on August 23, 2024, 10:55:37 PMI remember being in Aldi when the minimum pricing just started, some lad was buying his slab of Galahad, young one on the till scans, asks for payment and he says "ah sure what's the fuckin' point anymore" :laugh:

That's what happened me with the cans of Excelsior in lidl. I realised suddenly that their only good point was the price  :'(

Lech pils is fucking delicious lads. Got it in supervalu it's in a gold can. 5.5% and goes down like silk

Guinness Zero, cheaper in Ballina, New South Wales than Castlebar, Co. Meigh Eo

I've recently come around to the idea that red ales are just as palatable at room temperature as they are cold.

I'd even say somewhere in between that is the sweet spot for them, on the room temperature side of cool. Too cold kills them as bad as it does stouts.

I don't really like any beer stone cold. The stone coldness is really only useful for masking a bad taste

Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on September 27, 2024, 02:15:39 PMI'd even say somewhere in between that is the sweet spot for them, on the room temperature side of cool. Too cold kills them as bad as it does stouts.

Yeah you're onto something there. Like I wouldn't be making a popsicle with them or anything, but one of the boys insisted we have one out in his shed (away from his missus and kids lol). He's got a collection of reds and oh my was it very palatable at room temperature.

I never put my beer in the fridge at home at all, even if I bought it out of one. Would drink the large bottle of Guinness off the shelf and all. Good beer only needs to be cool rather than cold

Ah jaysus, icy beer on a sunny day is hard beat. I am biased in that I love icy drinks of any variety. And I hate hot drinks. Have a handful of coffees a year, and wouldn't drink regular tea if you were paying me to do so.

Quote from: Ducky on September 28, 2024, 07:57:56 PMAh jaysus, icy beer on a sunny day is hard beat. I am biased in that I love icy drinks of any variety. And I hate hot drinks. Have a handful of coffees a year, and wouldn't drink regular tea if you were paying me to do so.

I work with a fella who likes the taste of tea and coffee but hates the fact that they are hot so you're not alone in that regard. I do drink cold beer but I prefer it just a little bit off room temperature for the most part. I think the cold kills the flavour but of course there are many exceptions, cider being the most obvious one where it's the cooler the better