It would be interesting to hear, I've heard bits and pieces of Slash's solo stuff over the years and there's bits of brilliance like the intro to Anastasia but most of it just seems like he's on autopilot, but I think Axl would push him a bit more musically.

Either that or they cash in and make a subpar rehash of their classic album like most reformed bands do  :laugh:.

They could have done that a tonne over the years though and theu didn't because Axl didn't want to 'prostitute' himself. Who knows, maybe it's all talk, but he always wanted to do his thing and not be a slave to anyone, even bandmates, hence the wait for the last album. Would love an album from them.

Chewwwwn maaan

https://youtu.be/VWiX-MKTUTY

Quote from: TheRuts on February 09, 2021, 10:24:23 AM
There's been an abridged version available for over 20 years!

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Use-Your-Illusion/master/1167578

Looking at that it seems to be the exact opposite to the tracks that I picked for a short form. Dunno if I'd be into that collection.

Listening back to the 2 discs it struck me that Metallica seem to have borrowed heavily from the idea of those with the Load albums. A lot of similarly styled riffs but a lot more ham fisted attempt by Metallica even though I do like those Load albums all the same

Quote from: astfgyl on February 09, 2021, 03:11:00 PM
Quote from: TheRuts on February 09, 2021, 10:24:23 AM
There's been an abridged version available for over 20 years!

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Use-Your-Illusion/master/1167578

Listening back to the 2 discs it struck me that Metallica seem to have borrowed heavily from the idea of those with the Load albums. A lot of similarly styled riffs but a lot more ham fisted attempt by Metallica even though I do like those Load albums all the same

I never realised that before but this thread put the idea in my head. The timing of it suggests so too with it being the first release they did after the GNR tour and Lars just coming out of his white leather jacket phase.

First time it struck me as well listening to the Use Your Illusions last night. Surprisingly enough given how long the Loads have been out

Was Load not them just trying to be Corrosion of Conformity? Wouldn't hear anything remotely alike with UYI's which are far superior albums.

Also, abridged versions just take away from the whole megalomaniac magnificence of it all. In the same way the Beatles and the likes used have odd and unusual songs interspersed throughout the album, I don't think.the intention was ever to write a full album of hits. Some songs are purposely non-hit/shite. Think of a song like Seamus on a Pink Floyd masterpiece like Meddle. They just threw it on there for the craic and quite simply because they could. Pure indulgence.

Yeah I'd always thought Load was Metallica does CoC and never thought anything of GnR until thinking now that it might have been their effort at doing something similar in scope to UYI along with the change in style they were going for. Couple that then with the GnR tour and we arrive at our fairly baseless speculative theory. There is probably a good reason why it has never been posited before as an explanation of anything to do with the Loads

#37 February 09, 2021, 07:36:50 PM Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:39:21 PM by ldj
Apparently The Memory Remains was written about Axl actually.

But yeah I'd say the Loads were more influenced by the likes of COC/AIC/Soundgarden.

Quote from: astfgyl on February 09, 2021, 07:25:12 PM
Yeah I'd always thought Load was Metallica does CoC and never thought anything of GnR until thinking now that it might have been their effort at doing something similar in scope to UYI along with the change in style they were going for. Couple that then with the GnR tour and we arrive at our fairly baseless speculative theory. There is probably a good reason why it has never been posited before as an explanation of anything to do with the Loads

Well there is the double album thing in fairness. Never thought about it that way.

I've had a soft spot for the UYI stuff for over 25 years. Went back to them again in recent months and while some is absolutely class and really brings back that feeling of a band on another level in rock history I have to say much of it is pretty weak and disjointed sounding. I think Axl wanted to go in this sort of Hard Rock Elton John direction with some full of piano but it made the rest of the band sound a bit lazy and uninspired. A lot of the songs sound to me like not everyone is on board. Compared to the blistering Appetite the whole thing ends up feeling a bit 6 or 7 outa 10.

I finally saw them live in Copenhagen a couple of years ago and I had a blast. Got drunk and air guitared the night away. No idea if it was technically a good show or not!

Quote from: Pedrito on February 09, 2021, 07:56:50 PM
Well there is the double album thing in fairness. Never thought about it that way.

It wasn't really the music as such I was on about just the idea of the sprawling double set. Like Load/Reload is their attempt at a UYI 1/2. Saying that, there was a couple of riffs here and there on UYI gave me the Load vibes and the idea. Maybe they were inspired by the scope of the GnR set

Guess it could be said of any other double set released as two separate albums and by that logic, Kid A and Amnesiac are Radiohead's stab at a Load/Reload, so yeah most likely talking shit but it keeps the thread going

Quote from: astfgyl on February 09, 2021, 08:06:46 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on February 09, 2021, 07:56:50 PM

It wasn't really the music as such I was on about just the idea of the sprawling double set. Like Load/Reload is their attempt at a UYI 1/2. Saying that, there was a couple of riffs here and there on UYI gave me the Load vibes and the idea. Maybe they were inspired by the scope of the GnR set

Guess it could be said of any other double set released as two separate albums and by that logic, Kid A and Amnesiac are Radiohead's stab at a Load/Reload, so yeah most likely talking shit but it keeps the thread going

I think in terms of scope and artistic freedom it could have been an influence on Load and Reload. Bear in mind this is the same band that hired the producer of Appetite For Destruction to sit behind the desk on And Justice For All.

The switch to the more personal style of the lyrics could be added to the case as well. I didn't know that about AJFA either so there's another one.

From anyone who was of age at the time, what way were those albums received back then? I know as a young lad I was delighted with the new songs but I was 10 or 11 so not the most discerning critic

Generally well received, but aware of the filler. Personally, I thought (and still think) that the production was a bit flat and sterile, and as time went on and singles were on constant rotation on MTV, the oversaturation became tiresome. If I never heard November Rain again I'd die happy.

Quote from: Pedrito on February 09, 2021, 07:14:02 PM
In the same way the Beatles and the likes used have odd and unusual songs interspersed throughout the album, I don't think.the intention was ever to write a full album of hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbMSUQE36us