That's because he's a smart lad and realises that all music owes a debt to the past. You can tell a man by his friends. You can tell a proper musician by his music collection, and his respect for his influences.

Ended up lashing on The Spaghetti Incident in the car this evening and it was only a short spin so only the first tunes but it wasn't too bad. Had Appetite For Destruction on earlier and yeah that is the gold standard for sure. This thread is after putting me on a bit of a GnR buzz.

Anyway, what's the story with Lies? I've never heard it, not even on youtube. Is there a reason it doesn't get talked about much or never did with the lads I knew who were into the band. Is it like a proper album or what is it?

Lies is fantastic. It's an EP and has a mix of stuff on it from live to acoustic and it has some of their finest material on it.  One in a Million and Patience are phenomenal and bring me back to being a kid.

Agreed, Lies is deadly, as is Live Era.

Quote from: astfgyl on February 11, 2021, 10:42:55 PM
Ended up lashing on The Spaghetti Incident in the car this evening and it was only a short spin so only the first tunes but it wasn't too bad. Had Appetite For Destruction on earlier and yeah that is the gold standard for sure. This thread is after putting me on a bit of a GnR buzz.

Anyway, what's the story with Lies? I've never heard it, not even on youtube. Is there a reason it doesn't get talked about much or never did with the lads I knew who were into the band. Is it like a proper album or what is it?

You have to get Lies. The version of you're crazy is brilliant. As mentioned previously One in a million is a classic. It's like a diary.
Reckless life is pure fury and is full of piss and vinegar.

I remember Patience from when I was a young lad but that's as far as I know of it. Once I have The Spaghetti Incident done I'll try it out so. I remember it going 2nd hand in the local shite music shop for years and no one bought it so I took that as a review. Hopefully my loss it will be a new GnR album for me.

It's great. Their first, 'live' (2 originals and 2 covers recorded live in studio with crowd noise dubbed in) EP, plus 4 new acoustic recordings. Got a bit of controversy for the lyrics to One In A Million, to the extent that it was omitted from their recent Appetite reissue boxset, total woke-era copout there.

Metal Warfare UYI I & II sing-along zoom beers session anyone???

Don't even sing just do the fuck of a Jerusalem dance but with UYI 1 and 2 and not a word sang or spoken through the full set

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 11, 2021, 11:36:13 PM
Metal Warfare UYI I & II sing-along zoom beers session anyone???

Haha class. Better than the fuckin zoom calls I'm currently doing

I've played both now a few times in the last few days.

Where UYI I suffers most is the relative streak of piss it ends on: out of the last six songs, four of them are absolutely disposable. From November Rain, jump straight to Garden of Eden, and from there skip straight to Coma. 20 minutes of lesser versions of better songs that make the tail end of the disc a real slog to get through; chucked. But from UYI II, honestly, I think I'd only remove My World, which is just a rotten scuttery fart of a "song" at the very tail end of an hour of pure class. It's not that I particularly like Knockin' On Heaven's Door, but I guess it's just become such a classic part of the G'n'R canon, that it's kind of an obligation that they have a cover of it on an album somewhere.

I'd find it hard to disagree with any of that. I think instead of looking for everything to be perfect on albums, a more realistic approach is to ask 'what works really well?' and both albums are stuffed with absolute once in a generation hits, alongside other really top quality stuff. The odd dud shouldn't be taking up anyone's time. Just skip on. UY2 as you say Chris...just supreme.

Adding to the Lies appreciation above..yes, yes, yes.

Going to give Lies the examination tonight. Just at the end of The Spaghetti Incident. The drive for cans will get me to the finish.

Have to say I enjoyed most of it. Time hasn't been unkind to it and it's better than I remember.

Was thinking again about the Metallica parallels and after their double sets, both released an album of covers as well.

#74 February 12, 2021, 09:38:51 PM Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:52:01 PM by Grim Reality
I'm sticking on UYI2 for the Friday night buzz but there's several songs on it I've never really liked and I always see it as a real album of highs and lows. Obviously My World is a travesty but I could do without Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, Pretty Tied Up as well.

How is Axl generally viewed as a lyricist? I quite like following along with the tracks and it's not just whatever fluff he first thinks off unlike many frontmen of that era.

Edit.
Knockin is a pain in the hole of a song too obviously