Quote from: astfgyl on July 07, 2022, 12:23:28 AM
That's ingenious how do you do that?
hold and swipe the right hand side of your screen from the very edge and it should pull up a menu of what floating apps you can have.  I'm guessing it only works on some phones but fuck it sure try it out.

Hearing a Scottish lad use the expression 'sweetie wife' to describe a gossipy, nosy male. Beautiful :)

Quote from: ochoill on July 07, 2022, 08:47:00 AM
Quote from: astfgyl on July 07, 2022, 12:23:28 AM
That's ingenious how do you do that?
hold and swipe the right hand side of your screen from the very edge and it should pull up a menu of what floating apps you can have.  I'm guessing it only works on some phones but fuck it sure try it out.

Doesn't work on the hape of shit I have here. Ah well.

Filmmaker mode on the telly. I never knew that the picture enhancing thing that the telly does that makes films look like shit was called the "soap opera effect".

On holidays in Kerry with the family and catching glimpses of nature and spectacular scenery with and without the kids...

Young fella got an opportunity to go out on a small rib, and he ended up with 4 dolphins playing tag out on the bow. He was well chuffed.

Next day we found a "common" lizard ar an trá sa Baile an Scelig.

Followed soon after by a huge blue dragon fly. I saw the shadow first and I was wondering what was hovering about. It must have been about 10 inches long, and had some wingspan.

Last week I did the Emlagh Loop on my own. Fair to say I was surprised when I came across 2 Alpaca's in one field I had just entered and one started running towards me! I ran to the next corner fairly sharpish rather than discovering the reason! 🏃💨   🦙

Same walk I discovered 2 gannets dead on the beach. Reading up afterwards I discovered you should report such findings in case of disease. Dept of Agroculture got back to me within 30 minutes (at 10pm Sat night) and collected them early the next morning. They've sent away to test for Avian Bird Flu but I see since that another bird has been detected with it in Kerry since while waiting on those results. Colonies have been devastated in Scotland and Wales the past few weeks. :-X

A glorious walk on the Kerry Way yesterday between Caherdaniel and Waterville (without the kids for sure!) a woodpecker flew past us. Plenty of smaller dragonflies about.

On a cycle today we visited a small beach and found loads of sea life. They were amazed to see huge crabs battling it out, and huge shrimp swimming around them. 

On the way back from the beach an Irish Stoat ran across the cycle way. I hadn't seen one in about 15 years.

Scenery wise, it's hard to beat the views from the Kerry Way in glorious sunshine around the Iveragh Peninsula. Whether looking out at the Skelligs, down on the sandy beaches every which way, passing lakes and waterfalls, or up at the mountains it has it all really.

Provided you get the weather! I always feel sorry for tourists on the foggy days where you can't see past your nose, and knowing what they're missing as their buses move on.

First time seeing Bealach Oisín. I was hungover to feck the day after Napalm Death and from Killarney to Waterville I ended up on some back road, grass in the middle of a narrow road a lot of the (Kerry) Way, but oh what a find!

I was listening to Solstafir "Ótta" and it was exactly like what you'd expect to come across in Iceland, so the music well suited the landacape. You're going through damp boggy plains, with the Reeks (of Putrefaction) backdrop all around. Was rushing for dinner so I didn't have a chance to soak it in from the top. I made up for it a few days later with some climb on a mountain bike 😮‍💨

Yeah it'd be a great country if we had dependable weather for it 😀

We used to go to Balkinskelligs for holidays when I was a kid (a friend of my mother's had a house there, near the pier, the back garden ended at the beach), it was a grand spot then, I've heard it's very built up now. Amazing beach though, just like Renvyle beach in Connemara.

Fun fact: that's where Howard Marks used to land his gear in the '80s.

My auld lad is from Ballyferriter, right on the peninsula a few miles from Dingle. Unreal part of the world for scenery. Between West Kerry and West Cork, you have a good dose of paradise on earth, provided, as Brian alludes to, you have the sunshine. It's gone a bit IRELAND FOR SALE in Dingle, and there are a few too many holiday homes in the area now, but if you can get reasonably priced accommodation (does that exist anymore?), savage :)

Fairly fond of Kerry too, always had a good relax and soak in the scenery any time we stayed there.  Can't remember exactly where but we stayed out past Sneem one time and all the way down, it stayed foggy, and for the first two days it was overcast, drizzly, and thick fog.  It was nice in its own way but we didn't even know what the place around us looked like until the weather lifted on the third day - it was something else.  Gorgeous spot.

Pity our stays down there didn't overlap a bit longer, Brian. Still though! That hike around Derrynane was fine way to pass a morning.
Still can't believe Bridies wasn't open when we passed it. I was really looking forward to a drink at that stage. The only day they opened late FFS :laugh:

Did Luigi go with you on the Waterville hike in the end?

Hehe, yeah we were talking on the Waterville hike about the cruel blow that was anticipating a cold pint in Bridie's on the Derrynane hike 🙈 Barman tried to wind us up when we got to Waterville by saying they weren't open yet  :laugh: And said the nearest gents was a mile up the road....

Luigi said he was on driving duties for the week with the family so he didn't join us.

Jward didn't make it either in the end as he ended up tiling some houses in Mitchelstown for Ukranian refugees (in a self-depreciating, unPC manner to others on the whatsapp group who didn't know him or his sense of humour!! 😱).

Next time sure. Seeing as others are attesting to the beauty there, here's a panoramic photo taking of what tourists can often drive past unawares of what's behind the fog...

Looks beautiful indeed.