Yes that's one way of doing it. It means you can pick whatever tones and distortion during the mix. It gives you more control.

By the way, you're all dead next time I see you. Bleeding burst yis!

Having said that about the production, I picked up the Lost Paradise and Gothic remasters recently, they sound a lot better than the originals, LP in particular is a lot less muddy.

This evening on the 8GB iPod

Massacre - From Beyond
Possession - Exorkizein

Quote from: Carnage on July 23, 2021, 11:54:32 AM
Having said that about the production, I picked up the Lost Paradise and Gothic remasters recently, they sound a lot better than the originals, LP in particular is a lot less muddy.

I just ordered Lost Paradise on vinyl. I didn't realise it had been remastered but either way,  cool album.

Quote from: Carnage on July 23, 2021, 11:23:40 AM
DT was the first one where their production sounded good to me. Less distinctive than previous releases, granted but their production had previously been subpar for me.

I read something on the sleevenotes for one of their reissues, means nothing to me but you chaps with recording experience might have an idea: Macintosh plays clean into the mixing desk and all effects are added there, whereas most guitarists would go through their pedals and whatever first, then into the desk - that's apparently part of his sound. Does that make sense?

Ya, it makes for a more digital sound. Or it certainly would have back then. In the few albums after DT, it's fairly noticeable. He's gone back to mixing amps and pedals the last while though.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 23, 2021, 11:59:25 AM
Quote from: Carnage on July 23, 2021, 11:54:32 AM

I just ordered Lost Paradise on vinyl. I didn't realise it had been remastered but either way,  cool album.

I should have mentioned that I bought the CD, no idea about the vinyl but I'd imagine it's gotten the same treatment.

I just larges to it in YouTube and followed it up with Forest of Equilibrium, another masterpiece.

Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon

Had not heart it in close to 20 years. Much better than I remember it. Have a feeling this is going to send me on a mid to late 90's Blackish Death Metal trip though some of those Hammerheart, No Fashion, Invasion and W.A.R. releases of the era.

Slift - Ummon

Took me a bit of getting into, but now that I'm in, can't get enough.

Suffocation-Pierced from within!
Gorguts- The Erosion of Sanity

Following that train of thought today's listens focused mainly on the sadly now defunct No Fashion Records with Vinterland's Welcome My Last Chapter, Dark Funeral's Secrets of the Black Arts, The Moaning's Blood From Stone and Noctes' Pandemonic Requiem. Talk about a small label regularly punching well above its weight. Some Mithotyn and Gates of Ishtar courtesy of Invasion Records up next.

Quote from: Noisymute on July 23, 2021, 02:26:42 PM
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon

Had not heart it in close to 20 years. Much better than I remember it. Have a feeling this is going to send me on a mid to late 90's Blackish Death Metal trip though some of those Hammerheart, No Fashion, Invasion and W.A.R. releases of the era.

Wyrd - Hex
           Huldrafolk
            Vargtimmen Pt. 1: The Inmost Night    
            Vargtimmen Pt. 2: Ominous Insomnia

Burzum - Det som engang var

Quote from: Blackout on July 24, 2021, 07:46:40 PM
Burzum - Det som engang var

That's my favourite Burzum album. It's so easy to get lost in it.
This morning Pantera-Far Beyond Driven
Skid Row- Slave To The Grind

^
Winner
Winner
Winner

I only just listened to Loits's cover of Ved Buens Ende... for the first time. Very cool take on 'You, That May Wither'. It sounds like the original but has plenty of Loits's character stamped all over it.