Stonehenge : Victims Gallery -if one could only mute the synths, grand otherwise

Solstice :Halcyon

Seamus Ennis-:The Pure Drop

Skrika: Fifth Nature

Black Sabbath-Master of Reality. Fifty years old yesterday. Still my favourite from the Ozzy era and second to the inimitable Heaven and Hell in their overall discography ranking. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath up next.

Negura Bunget - OM. Listening to it for the first time in years. An absolutely stunning album!

Well, our resident young Zep sent me on a trip down memory lane with most of the Ilenkus back catalogue. After that,

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I

And up next, this seems like a pretty good suggestion to me:

Quote from: Naraka on July 22, 2021, 05:00:12 PM
Negura Bunget - OM. Listening to it for the first time in years. An absolutely stunning album!

I'd forgotten how good it is. I think the next few days will be spent going through their back catalogue. I haven't checked out Dordeduh yet, I'll have to give them a listen too.

'Death ...Is Just The Beginning II'  compilation album, favourite track: Master: 'Cut Through The Filth'.  The flute ties the track together!  :D

Nachtmystium - Demise

Great raw USBM, before they became a bit hipsterish for my tastes. I've enjoyed a few later releases but this is quality.

Paradise Lost- Shades of God.

I honestly can't see how any red blooded metaller in their right mind could choose the grand but bland 'Icon' or 'Draconian Times' over this album. They got the mix just right between catchy songwriting and gloom on Shades, while keeping their own identity. The nothingness of the riffing on the later couple of albums... just pure beige. They are grand for a bit of background easy listening but not a patch in terms of creativity.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 23, 2021, 12:53:06 AM

I honestly can't see how any red blooded metaller in their right mind could choose the grand but bland 'Icon' or 'Draconian Times' over this album. They got the mix just right between catchy songwriting and gloom on Shades, while keeping their own identity. The nothingness of the riffing on the later couple of albums... just pure beige. They are grand for a bit of background easy listening but not a patch in terms of creativity.

Savage album. Mortals Watch The Day is one of the best songs Paradise Lost have recorded. Shades of God is probably Nick's vocals at their best. My only real gripe with the album is the snare sound.

Shades of God is great, but you won't budge me on Draconian Times being one of the best metal albums I have ever heard.

I can't say it has ever stood out to me in one way or another so it must sound OK to me. The guaitars have bite to them and the lead melodies (Mackintosh) are prominent in the mix, as they should be. On Draconian Times his parts sound much more buried. Somehow aiming to become the next Metallica means polishing out as much character and identity as possible  :laugh:

Gama Bomb - Untouchable Glory

Quote from: hellfire on July 23, 2021, 09:31:52 AM

Shades of God is great, but you won't budge me on Draconian Times being one of the best metal albums I have ever heard.

Correct.

DT was the first one where their production sounded good to me. Less distinctive than previous releases, granted but their production had previously been subpar for me.

I read something on the sleevenotes for one of their reissues, means nothing to me but you chaps with recording experience might have an idea: Macintosh plays clean into the mixing desk and all effects are added there, whereas most guitarists would go through their pedals and whatever first, then into the desk - that's apparently part of his sound. Does that make sense?